Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Wifi Dongle + Networking (with internet) PC to Xbox with Crossover Cable

Options
  • 27-08-2006 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have three items that I want to network (with internet) together. My PC, DS and my Xbox. My setup is as follows. I have a Netopia wireless router which supplies my internet connection by means of a wireless card to the PC. My PC has a network card which by means of a crossover cable I have used to connect my Xbox to my PC. I also have a Nintendo DS Wifi USB dongle which I use to supply Internet to my DS. I have them all networked at the moment however I can't share my internet to my xbox. It can access my shares and files on my PC but it can't access the internet. ICS is set up for the Nintendo USB dongle however I can't seem to set it up for my Xbox unless I disconnect the dongle. Windows seems to only allow one network to share internet at a time. When I access the ICS settings under Wireless card supplying the internet I have to choose from the drop down menu between my DS having internet or my Xbox. Does anyone know how I can sort this out?

Wireless Card: 192.168.1.8
    Nintendo USB Wifi Dongle: 192.168.0.1
    Network Card: 192.168.2.1
    Xbox: 192.168.2.2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Router /gateway 192.168.1.1
    Wireless card 192.168.1.2
    Xbox 192.168.1.3
    DS 192.168.1.4

Yours are in a different range best to sort them out like the above.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I just tried setting up the xbox and network card like that but it doesn't seem to work. As in xbox can't see pc. I didn't think you could do it that way myself.

The setup:

Network card: 192.168.1.3
    Xbox: 192.168.1.4

My setup similiart to yours.

Gateway 192.168.1.1
    Pc 1 192.168.1.2 (wired to router)
    laptop 192.168.1.3 (wireless to router)
    Ps2 192.168.1.4 (crossover cable to pc)
    Xbox 192.168.1.5 (Crossover cable to pc)
    DS 192.168.1.6 (dongle)

Works fine all see net, can ftp to ps2 and xbox and have shared folders on pc1 that laptop can access. have DCHP disabled on router so it doesnt assign Ips. 2 network cards in Pc1 one for router and other for xbox/ps2

kdjac

cool, got Xbox to PC networked with those settings. No internet though. Do I still need ICS with this setup.

qBot wrote:
    cool, got Xbox to PC networked with those settings. No internet though. Do I still need ICS with this setup.

ICS will help them go tru the PC to the internet, could plug them straight into the router if possible to avoid using it.

kdjac

• Advertisement

As soon as I change the IP that was assigned to my DS dongle everything stops working. The Nintendo Wifi icon goes missing from the system tray and instead I get a network icon saying that it's trying to acquire and address.

Ok, got it sorted.

I went with my original config. However, on the Xbox, I set Default Gateway to the IP of my PC network card and the DNS to that of my wireless router modem. Works a treat now. thanks for your help.

Advertisement