Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good webmaster course

Options
  • 27-08-2006 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi. Could anybody direct me towards a good webmaster course in Dublin which (hopefully) won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm not doing it for any particular reason beyond beefing up my CV. I work in journalism at the moment and it may provide me with more scope for diversifying into something else in future.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The Sunday Newspaper's are the ones to help you there. Every web/internet course in Ireland is advertised in them every Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A number of places run the 'Certified Internet Webmaster' course. This is a well known qualification and you can choose from a number of different modules.
    http://www.newhorizonsireland.com/certifications/internet_pro_certification.asp

Does anyone know if the CIW courses are recognised by employers?

Dorset College claim to run this also. Their site is the worst example of usability you're likely to find...
    http://www.dorset-college.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

any interview i've been on qualification have never even been disgussed. it's all about portfolio

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was involved in IT training and I found the CIW to be the worst course for someone aspiring to get a decent qualification as you needed to do loads of their courses to have any kind of decent qualification. Too much irrelevant course materials also.
    I would agree with nikimere that what you can do is more important than what you studied!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah I have to say that thats immediately what I thought too. There are a lot of great resources on the internet and its very easy to learn everything you need to know online without shelling out the readies, or forcing yourself to move away from your own comfy pc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

I was looking into doing the CIW webmaster course with Fas online. Our you guys saying it's not worth it? I was doing it to help me get back into computers again (I work in retail, and hate it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gamblingIRE

what is the point?
    Imo, having an online nexus which you developed (via reading/learning/doing - and which costs nowt to do) is a much better substitute for some crummy course (which no doubt costs $$$) - when they say show me your cv and you have a few web-sites which validate, look good in every browser, and have a kajillion users - how can they not give ya the job (if indeed that is your aim)

my advice would be to get some books on css, xhtml and to go thru the w3c tutorials, all the while building up a decent online site. Is there a big demand for webmasters? I wouldn't hire a webmaster - I would hire a programmer / Webmaster.. you often need a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes which will never happen with static html.

is your aim self-education, or to get a job webdevving?

Advertisement