Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2142 first impressions: "It sucks like a filipino transexual"

Options
  • 27-08-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Well, so far it seems like the beta is everything most of us expected it to be. ****e.
    Some quotes from the good people at the day of defeat forums who are beta testing
    http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67943&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
    Penguin wrote:
    Every 10 seconds, "There is a problem with your connection". So many special effects, you can't see straight. And when you get ride down to it, it's just uber-buggy BF2, except the guns go BWEEE instead of pop, and the helicopters don't descend if you throttle down.

Yeah. 140 years of weapon development is just going to get us guns with massive, view-obstructing, blue muzzle flashes.
    Silt wrote:
    If you are under any illusions that this is somewhat of a different game as BF2 was different from BF1942 then you are in for a suprise. Again this is like a unfinnished mod.
    The connection problem message you get usually involves everyone else in the server too. Most servers crash after like 3-4 hours of play. Bizarre bug. Not sure what causes that.
    Penguin wrote:
    Oh, don't get me started on the knife. I got killed by someone on the other side of the goddamn room with one.

And some screenshots that confirm, yes, it does look almost identical to BF2. Screenshots thanks to Penguin.

screen005ip6.th.png

screen006ob2.th.png
    screen011fd2.th.png
    screen009pf3.th.png

Weapon kits:
    Assault rifle:
    screen012ba9.th.png

Handguns:
    screen014gi2.th.png
    screen026ma5.th.png

Sniper rifle:
    screen030hq3.th.png

AT:
    screen028ji9.th.png

AWs:
    screen024qo6.th.png

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

IMHO it kicks BF2's ass all over the place.

Maybe those guys forgot that they were supposed to be testing a beta rather than playing a final release?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its funny, I hate Racing Sims, I should really go post there and tell everyone how they shouldn't like racing sims, instead of just avoiding the forum.

Thanks for giving the opinions of some people, that's great, but tbh, its not going to change the fact that I will buy 2142 and form my own opinion. Its up to me what I spend my money on at the end of the day ( or working month, as it were). But these opinions are of the BETA, not the finished product, so I wouldn't form my opinions based on that.

I would also suggest you change the thread title a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,574 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ponster wrote:

Maybe those guys forgot that they were supposed to be testing a beta rather than playing a final release?
    well it's lucky they don't have cs players beta testing it. lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Cremo wrote:
    well it's lucky they don't have cs players beta testing it. lol

Would the grammar and spelling in the reviews be better, or worse, would you say?

Yeah, Cs players - tough crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

it looks nicer then bf2 IMO. i know it's the same engine etc., but the textures and what not seem to look a bit nicer then bf2, maybe because it's all make-believe stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ponster wrote:

So would you call 1.3 bf2 the finished article ?

After three 1.4 beta patches they still don't have it right.How can 2142 hold us anymore promise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I cant believe they took out the chickens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

d22ontour wrote:
    After three 1.4 beta patches they still don't have it right.

Have what right? You have nearly a 1000 hours, do you join servers not play and just type "this sux" over and over again.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tbh i see this being to BF2 as BFV was to BF1942.

It doesnt look like a huge leap ahead, but it will be a better balance and who knows might enjoy the same popularity BFV does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

krazy_8s wrote:
    I cant believe they took out the chickens!

Rofl..

In fairness, they were never going to develop a new engine for this game as there was absolutely not need to. The persistant bugs that persist in BF2 will probably exist in this game also as the the game mechanics will likely be identical but with different units and weapons skins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

KdjaCL wrote:
    Have what right? You have nearly a 1000 hours, do you join servers not play and just type "this sux" over and over again.

rofl fair point that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Em, a stable game or even a stable patch.No ctd's or constant server crashes would be nice though i would settle for a half decent server browser that doesn't need me to ctrl/alt/del to kill the program when it freezes every now and then.After 12/13 months you would think a game would have that.The premise of the game is amazing just the delivery is the letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

looks like a TC mod to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That blue muzzle flash is shocking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,574 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

d22ontour wrote:
    Em, a stable game or even a stable patch.No ctd's or constant server crashes would be nice though i would settle for a half decent server browser that doesn't need me to ctrl/alt/del to kill the program when it freezes every now and then.After 12/13 months you would think a game would have that.The premise of the game is amazing just the delivery is the letdown.
    that's one thing that put me of BF2 tbh, it's just atrocious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The CTD's have been fixed with 1.4 and only losers use the ingame browser to find servers/friends :p

Qtracker ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Silverfish wrote:
    Its funny, I hate Racing Sims, I should really go post there and tell everyone how they shouldn't like racing sims, instead of just avoiding the forum.

Thanks for giving the opinions of some people, that's great, but tbh, its not going to change the fact that I will buy 2142 and form my own opinion. Its up to me what I spend my money on at the end of the day ( or working month, as it were). But these opinions are of the BETA, not the finished product, so I wouldn't form my opinions based on that.

I would also suggest you change the thread title a little.
    I love the bf series of games. Ive played them and almost every mod for them since BF1942. Im not telling people to hate this game, im posting the opinions of people who have played the beta game, and its mostly all uniformly negative, anyone considering buying 2142 may find it interesting to get the opinions of regular players, not paid magazine jorurnalists or EA hype machines, hence my posting it.
    Youre gonna buy it regardless? Fine, its no skin off my nose, but other people who DONT think the sun shines out of BF2's arse and are a bit hacked off over BF2's patching fiascos (after the great support for 1942 and BFV) may not be quite so accepting of this new iteration of the BF series. Because to be frank, this game looks rubbish. Same game engine, same bugs. At least BFV had a new engine compared to 1942, and f2 had a new one from bfv etc. Its Bf2 with lazer beams, woooooh futuristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

IMO we're still playing a beta in BF2.
    A beta which someone in EA had the great idea to turn into a new game, which really isn't that new at really when you think about it, its like a futuristic mod for BF2. It smacks of cash cow to me.

The premise of the game itself doesn't appeal to me in the way BF2 did, maybe because its futuristic etc. I just can't relate to flying around in hover crafts etc. Not that I was in any present day wars, but you know what I mean.
    That said, I'll give it a chance.

BF2142, being built on the engine as BF2, will most likely have the same bugs/glitches, the same disgraceful support, the same ctd's, same server crashes, the same never ending patches which are delayed all the time.
    If they still haven't "fixed" BF2 and BF2142 is being built on the same "unfinished" engine then we're all in for the same crap again.

I won't buy it on day one, I'll check out the forums etc. and see what everyone else makes of it before going near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Weh weh weh weh weh boo hoo weh weh weh

1942 fanboy tbh :D

You made it quite clear you had no intention of even trying to like this game. You're so busy sulking at EA that you'd be whining if they released a game that actively felt like orgasm.

All the quotes above, what percentage of the total are they? Why did you not give some of the pro-bf2142 quotes?
    Gameplay wise it's VERY similar. But there are a lot of little things which make it much more fun. I won't get into too much detail in fear of my account being owned but I disagree with Silt. There are too many great features to consider this the same game.
    All the guns are pretty even in their own qualities. Not just the Engineer Rocket. Try using the assault class more often. All classes are relatively balanced and I can get gold stars pretty easy if I use all the weapons at hand.

And the title of this thread is retarded for several reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Would have to agree with Zillah on this one. We have been presented with a very one sided view.

Sgt. Politeness: Surely there are some good points to this beta so far???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've got faith in 2142!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Ziycon wrote:
    I've got faith in 2142!! :D

As do I, nothin was wrong with BF2, from my POV might I add, from a gameplay or graphics standpoint, if they iron on the bugs and I'm sure they are a priortiy at this point and the beta testers do the job of reporting bugs it'll be all good. Said it once, say it again, I'll be gettin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

its not too bad, having alot of fun in it so far, few bugs concerning titan shields i would hate to see making it into the release version... its not the same as bf2, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Didn't EA always maintain that it was the BF:V of BF2?
    As in not a brand new engine, but rather a reworking of the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Silverfish wrote:
    Thanks for giving the opinions of some people, that's great, but tbh, its not going to change the fact that I will buy 2142 and form my own opinion. Its up to me what I spend my money on at the end of the day ( or working month, as it were).

One word.

"demo"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

SyxPak wrote:
    One word.

"demo"

yep thats what I was gonna say. Lets hope they actually do release one. As far as I remember there wasnt a BF:V demo.
    Didn't EA always maintain that it was the BF:V of BF2?
    As in not a brand new engine, but rather a reworking of the existing one.

Indeed they did/do. I mean all you have to do is look at it. They said they havnt added much fancy new stuff at all as they want ppl who can run bf2 on low to be able to play bf2142.

Its just basicly Dice moding their own game.

On that note , was talking to a guy on a POE2 server who tests 2142 and he said he thought POE2 was better.

Also on the 1st page one of the quotes was something like "Its like playing an unfinished mod"

hmm well thats coz IT IS AN UNFINISHED MOD lol

I'll download the Demo anyways. thats all I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

its not too bad, having alot of fun in it so far, few bugs concerning titan shields i would hate to see making it into the release version... its not the same as bf2, thats for sure

How can you say its not he same as BF2?
    Obviously its set in a different time period and there a few new fancy bits and pieces, but I don't foresee any difference of mammoth proportions.

Its BF2 set in the future....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgtdiesalot

all i hope is that all the support for bf2 will not end with the release of bf2142 as if it does EA making a joke of the bf2 community as a whole, leaving the game in such a bad state. Besides BF2142 is just EA/DICE reaction to Quake wars game which at the mo looks so much better than BF2142

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

1.4 is gonna be the last patch. Thats why they are being so picky about it. I played the beta and I wasnt that happy tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

I think it runs better than BF2,
    But some of the special effects are over the top.

but as for the weapons forget about it.
    Like 1 of the previous post 150 in the future and they are rubbish.
    forget about not zooming in, it is absolutely necessary to zoom.

And ranks, you get a new rank every 5 min, 6 billion unlocks, which are
    all over the place.

But i will buy the game. and play it. and make my final opinion of the game based on the final product

Advertisement