Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2142 first impressions: "It sucks like a filipino transexual"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

SyxPak wrote:
    One word.

"demo"

Didn't play a demo for BF2, so two words:

"My money"

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Demo of BF1942 was the funnest game I've ever played. Countless all night lans of just Wake Island. Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

its titan mode that has me interested in 2142. Thats it really. That and that starwars mod will be out for it.

however I will download the demo before I part with my money. I was blown away by bf2 when I 1st played it. & after a year of playing it I would say DC was far better.

These days its all about the mods for me. I'm loving POE2 and speaking of good old 1942, I can't wait for FH2 to come out and re-live some of those great ww2 multiplayer moments in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Silverfish wrote:
    SyxPak wrote:
    One word.

"demo"
    Didn't play a demo for BF2, so two words:

"My money"

:p
    Scratch my previous comment.

EA can snort lines of my dried fecal matter through their fat dollar bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13680
    In EA's other deal with IGA Worldwide, the publisher will make "select EA franchises" available for integration into IGA's in-game ad network—financial terms of this agreement were not disclosed either. The DICE developed Battlefield 2142 will be the initial title to incorporate IGA's dynamic advertising.

I for one can't wait till I have a wal-mart logo on my assualt rifle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Hahaha, hilarious, fcuking EA....

"Hey Soldier, are you tired after cleaning your laser cannon? Had a tough day in your mech? Head on over to Burger King for a Double Whopper with cheese so you can get back in the action"

Makes me sick....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Money grabbing basts tbh. Havent played the beta of 2142 yet, however those that I know who have are saying its tripe, just a painted up version of BF2.

Who says we do a collection and pay the devs at Splashdamage for some extra OT so that ETQW can drop earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

SyxPak wrote:

Good. Gravy.

FOAD EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Thankfully the industry will only be worth $730 in four years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

SyxPak wrote:

you know, i wouldn't mind this if they charged us pittens for the disc. but this is just money grabbing... shower of c#@ts tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

wow...EA just keep getting better & better. It would be understandable coming from a smalldeveloper that needed the cash but ffs..EA are only short of bringing out a USB coin slot that plugs into your PC..."please insert 1 euro of you would like to pick assault...please insert 1 euro of you want to use the G3 unlock" :rolleyes:
    This f*cking game should be boycotted
    "Alpha squad, youre securing the bombed out burger king! Delta, take McDonalds! Foxtrox, bring me a coooool refreshing pepsi, ahhhh the choice of a new generation! Now MOVE it people!"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's the future. There should be ads all over the place.

They'll do Battlefield LA next. EA will just copy where the real billboards are.

OMG!!!

Next they'll be doing it in movies!!!

I don't care, if you let something like that affect your opinion of a game ( "yeah, I played it for a while, the gameplay was deadly but there was a coke billboard on the street so I said **** this and stopped playing!!") then maybe just avoid the game altogether.
    you know, i wouldn't mind this if they charged us pittens for the disc. but this is just money grabbing... shower of c#@ts tbh!

How much is a DVD?
    Do you press stop on a film when some platant product placement occurs? Do you rush to the forums to say you are never, ever buying a dvd by that producer / studio again? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Played it there for a few hours and I'm not really impressed, as said before a painted up version of bf2. Titan mode isn't even that great !! I'll give it a week or two before buying anyway. All i'm waiting to see is when will EA ditch 2142 for another "brand new game", Battlefield 1950 : The Korean war :rolleyes:

Pyr0 wrote:
    Played it there for a few hours and I'm not really impressed, as said before a painted up version of bf2. Titan mode isn't even that great !! I'll give it a week or two before buying anyway. All i'm waiting to see is when will EA ditch 2142 for another "brand new game", Battlefield 1950 : The Korean war :rolleyes:

I was thinking more 'Battlefield 1042 - The Vikings'.

With ads for fresh suckling pig, and the latest longship by Bjorn Hjronnedsonsonssson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Silverfish wrote:
    I was thinking more 'Battlefield 1042 - The Vikings'.

With ads for fresh suckling pig, and the latest longship by Bjorn Hjronnedsonsonssson.

Lmao.

That would be such a cool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

sliverfish, youre a sound gamer and all...
    But Jesus you are *such* an EA Fanboi.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

2142pq4.jpg

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    sliverfish, youre a sound gamer and all...
    But Jesus you are *such* an EA Fanboi.
    :)

No, just a BF2 fanboi.

"Fanboi". Jeez, what a word. Don't be hatin', y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It has hover tanks.

Wow.

With fixed turrets. Lmfao @ that ingenious idea.

Mechs are ok but one would think stopping dead would mean exactly that and not bouncing up and down ?

You want bugs , you got bugs.Retail/Demo will need a patch asap going on this tripe.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote:
    How much is a DVD?
    Do you press stop on a film when some platant product placement occurs? Do you rush to the forums to say you are never, ever buying a dvd by that producer / studio again? I doubt it.

product placement in film is done to absorb the cost of making the movie so they don't charge me €20 a ticket in, or €60 for the DVD. product placement in this game isn't doing that if they're charging me the exact same price in for a game that has LOWER development costs then bf2 (in fact i'm sure the finances bf2 and the expansions brought in probably means DICE/EA are in huge plus figures right now, technically giving 2142 a minus development cost) because it uses the same engine.

also, the idea that spiderman jumping on a budweiser truck is in any way the same as holding an AMD-branded gun or driving the "nVidia tank" is just plain idiocy tbh.

finally, i didn't at any point say i wouldn't buy the game, or stop buying EA titles etc. just said this is pure sh1te. i'm all for in-game advertising if there's a reason behind it - i.e. the game is cheaper at retail, or if an MMO is free in exchange for ads and so on.

this and the xbox live charges are making gaming way more expensive then the PS3 could ever hope to. we're staring down the day we have to whip out the credit card to refuel in the next F1 game

also, the idea that spiderman jumping on a budweiser truck is in any way the same as holding an AMD-branded gun or driving the "nVidia tank" is just plain idiocy tbh.

Please show me pics of this AMD-branded gun and nVidia tank. Would you have exaggerated these? You are just speculating. Perhaps Spiderman jumping on a budweiser truck will be far worse than what actually appears in the finished game - we don't actually know yet.

Also, there was a lot of advertising in games prior to this - Need for Speed for example. This is nothing new.

"also, the idea that spiderman jumping on a budweiser truck is in any way the same as holding an AMD-branded gun or driving the "nVidia tank" is just plain idiocy tbh."

Would that be misleading advertising on am Intel PC?

Silverfish wrote:
    Please show me pics of this AMD-branded gun and nVidia tank. Would you have exaggerated these? You are just speculating. Perhaps Spiderman jumping on a budweiser truck will be far worse than what actually appears in the finished game - we don't actually know yet.

Also, there was a lot of advertising in games prior to this - Need for Speed for example. This is nothing new.

i'm basing my speculation off the xbox live promo done in america. a free weekend provided by verizon, who used advertising to fund this. what happened? a short 30 second tv-ad when you login? billboards in pgr with verizon on them? hell no, why do that when you can force people to have skins with your logo all over the place?

you seem to think EA is being all innocent here... a few billboards in a map. no, someone will throw a wad of cash at them for a big shiny yellow flashing tank to promote something...
    monument wrote:
    Would that be misleading advertising on am Intel PC?

just made a guess. i'd assume PC hardware companies would jump for this first... but amd advertising on your intel machine would be as misleading as sony bravia ads on your panasonic tv, surely?

hell no, why do that when you can force people to have skins with your logo all over the place?

Speculation. We don't know yet. If they do, then they are probably preparing to shut up shop completely, as no-one will buy anything from them with the danger of this happening again. I'd imagine they aren't that stupid. If they are, not to worry, they'll release 563 patches to attempt to resolve it.
    you seem to think EA is being all innocent here... a few billboards in a map. no, someone will throw a wad of cash at them for a big shiny yellow flashing tank to promote something...

Or maybe they won't. There has been advertising in games for a long time now. Clearly from this thread, no-one has actually noticed. So maybe EA will do it the same way its been done before. Again, there is nothing new here.

Silverfish wrote:
    as no-one will buy anything from them with the danger of this happening again

technically you'd think no one would buy anything with "dice" on it after, what, 7 patches? only one of which was given public beta...
    Silverfish wrote:
    Or maybe they won't. There has been advertising in games for a long time now. Again, there is nothing new here.

we'll have to wait and see, but if they can get away with flashing yellow tanks, they'll do it.

just made a guess. i'd assume PC hardware companies would jump for this first... but amd advertising on your intel machine would be as misleading as sony bravia ads on your panasonic tv, surely?

Was meaning to say something like...

'Powered by AMD'... now that'd be misleading advertising on an Intel PC

I was just pulling the piss out of the whole advertising thing, and at that was doing so badly, I need sleep.

we'll have to wait and see, but if they can get away with flashing yellow tanks, they'll do it.

Well, not necessarily.
    Sega's Crazy Taxi lets you drive customers to Pizza Hut and KFC, instead of a generic pizza parlor or chicken joint. Racing games, like the Gran Turismo series, have always been judged based on how many real-life cars and aftermarket parts makers they can license. Even the tracks have realistic advertising banners for related products, like motor oil and tires. Sports games, like NBA Live 2004, have unlockable shoes, as well as all the players in the game who wear their real-life sponsors' brands.

It's even gotten to the point that publishers are sending out press releases to proudly proclaim product placement in their games. Just this past week, Activision announced that the characters in their game True Crime: Streets of LA are wearing clothes from Puma's latest fashion lines. Last year, Electronic Arts announced that McDonald's and Intel would be featured in The Sims Online, allowing virtual characters to scarf down brand-name burgers while playing with their Pentium-powered computers.

I'd imagine there was money handed over here too, but I don't recall people complaining about advertising in Gran Tourismo.

I think people have just reached a point of being fed up with EA, and are lashing out at everything they can think of.
    Not entirely unjustified either.

But while waiting for patches and getting irritated by bugs in the game does drive me up the wall, I still have to say I just take the game for what it is, and I enjoy playing BF2, and won't be stopping playing anytime soon. And I probably will buy 2142.

Unless there's flashing yellow tanks. Then all bets are off.

Silverfish wrote:
    I'd imagine there was money handed over here too, but I don't recall people complaining about advertising in Gran Tourismo.

gran turismo is a car racing game with billboard things at the side of the track, like a real race. hell, it'd look weird without the ads.

battlefield is a war game. when was the last time you saw troops in iraq post videos on youtube and show off their new Nike armour?
    Silverfish wrote:
    I think people have just reached a point of being fed up with EA, and are lashing out at everything they can think of.
    Not entirely unjustified either.

But while waiting for patches and getting irritated by bugs in the game does drive me up the wall, I still have to say I just take the game for what it is, and I enjoy playing BF2, and won't be stopping playing anytime soon. And I probably will buy 2142.

Unless there's flashing yellow tanks. Then all bets are off.

i'll get 2142... i'm annoyed at the bugs, ea, dice all this news (2142 gets hacked, next day ea announces ads) and so on.... but i'm still a fan. though, et:qw looks like it'll take up more of my time if EA keeps dragging battlefield down into the gutter.

• Advertisement

gran turismo is a car racing game with billboard things at the side of the track, like a real race. hell, it'd look weird without the ads.

Yes, and for example Karkand is a city, when was the last time you were in a city without billboards / ads? I'm just saying that when companies use product placement, they tend to do it in the theme of the environment. I'm just hoping EA will do the same as all other games have done.
    battlefield is a war game. when was the last time you saw troops in iraq post videos on youtube and show off their new Nike armour?

:rolleyes: Think you missed my point. I posted that quote as an example of how product placement has already appeared in games, not saying that 2142 will have Nike armour.

And yes Battlefield is a war game, but when was the last time you saw troops in iraq post videos on youtube showing red and blue tags?

Advertisement