Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2142 first impressions: "It sucks like a filipino transexual"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'd imagine there was money handed over here too, but I don't recall people complaining about advertising in Gran Tourismo.

Right, but most likely in the opposite direction, much in the same way sports games earn more credabilty if teams etc are licenced, car games (especially ones which are proud to be called simulators) sell better because of these names and would go out of their way to have them. So i expect Dunlop got a fat cheque to have its name in Gran Turismo, then giving a cheque.

The other games you named.

Just look at them for god's sake.

True Crime: Streets of L.A, the sims and crazy taxi.

one prides itself on being a life simulator, and the other two have modern settings.

I have a mixed bag feeling about product placement, it can ruin a film or game if it draws away from the creativity of the original product (Blade Trinity and I Robot, both ruined by product placement.) but at the same time product placement can be in a film and it works mainly because of the film's setting and plotline a product can enhance the credibility of locations etc (I didnt find the spiderman carlsberg truck moment that annoying.) Hence I have no problem with such placement in games like Crazy taxi and streets of L.A because they dont draw away from the experiance but can in some ways add to it.

But advertising in a game thats meant to be set in a distant future battlefield...no.

It will regardless of how they place it feel out of place, uncomfortable and will draw from the supposed attempt at immersing players in a futuristic war.

Its like I Robot where will smith owns all items from 2004, they try and explain it away by him being a robophobic, but if it one was to realisticly collect items from a specific period they wouldnt be all from the same year, his room should have been a collage of the 20th century rather then 2004 perserved.

similary it will feel uncomfortable having in game billboards or items all named after products from 2007.

it breaks the fantasy of it.

And this isnt a EA hatebender.

Though their PR needs a kick in the arse for thinking people would want to hear that they were shoving adverts into the game. that should have gone in the hush hush pile.

es, and for example Karkand is a city, when was the last time you were in a city without billboards / ads?

when was the last time you saw Mcdonalds trying to appeal to the extremist islamic groups of the middle east?

isnt there a few posters etc up around karkand in arabic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    when was the last time you saw Mcdonalds trying to appeal to the extremist islamic groups of the middle east?

isnt there a few posters etc up around karkand in arabic?

Yup, do you think they could be ads? Should we lobby to get them removed?

I don't think that advertising in a futuristic era is really all that overboard, and I think people are getting a little too upset by it.

Its a game.

Advertising has been done in games.

It is being done in 2142.

Like you pointed out, there were posters in Arabic in Karkand. Now, imagine they are not in Arabic, and are for a product. Does it affect the gameplay?

The fact is, we do not know what type of advertising will be done in 2142, so it is pointless ( though amusing) to speculate on what it will be.

When the game comes out, and if there are flashing yellow tanks advertising Toilet Duck or whatever, then yes, I would understand the anger, but at this point in time I would feel its a little bit pre-emptive.

Like you pointed out, there were posters in Arabic in Karkand. Now, imagine they are not in Arabic, and are for a product. Does it affect the gameplay?

Personnally i think it would. If it was an advert say for Nividia, i would it distracting and disapointing, that my thrill of *playing soldiers in the middle east* has this image that breaks my fiction.

You can argue it doesnt affect the competitive element of BF2, but as you can see by other threads disapproval of the ranking system and other such details there are people (like myself) who play online games for a mixture of competitive and fantasy features. And while the competitive nature extends a game's lifespan it is the fantasy that both attracts me and rewards me for being competative.

Its a game.

Advertising has been done in games.

and as i said i dont have a problem as long as its done in context of the game's material.
    The fact is, we do not know what type of advertising will be done in 2142, so it is pointless ( though amusing) to speculate on what it will be.

an excellent point which can go either way.
    but at this point in time I would feel its a little bit pre-emptive

not so, Projectmahyam has explained a valued point for anger.

We as gamer's cannot understand the incentive for 2142 needing adverts ingame at this time and place because it is neither using a new engine or requires an extensive PR campaign.

Battlefield 2142 needing adverts is like needing product placement in a star wars prequel.

We do not see what costs it is covering and if it is just to increase profits then like i said it is a horrible PR move to announce it now because of the backlash it is recieving from a already established fanbase.

We dont see how it benefits us, it neither garuntee's a better game or improve the gaming experiance.

if tomarrow EA says that they will be releasing a new map every week for 3 months after release using the advertising funds then i say the community will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

In fairness if its just a big feck off sign on a map that might update every so often, i wouldn't be that pissed off, but i really doubt that will be the way they implement it. If in-game pop-ups or something like that happens i'll be extremely pissed. But at this point I still haven't decided wether or not to buy 2142, ET:QW is on my 'to buy list' for sure.

Anyway, Silverfish (Viriconia) you are the biggest fanboy (excuse the use of the word) i've ever seen for EA and YOUR the reason they get away with making the buggy crap they make. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll be sticking with BF2 mods for a while, until Bohemia release their next opus.

I like my wargames to be somewhat realistic. When I buy a game, I don't want ads for xyz cock product spoiling the scene. In a urban theatre, ravaged by war and heavy artillery, do you really expect the billboards to survive?

GT isn't a good example. It's like soccer games - they're recreating what's in the sport today. However, this is a futuristic shooter. It's just wrong on so many levels.
    I've never accepted advertising in a game as legitimate.

Silverfish - there may be product placement in movies, but generally those movies are sh1te pop-trash.

I'm the sort of person who yawn's at "Officially Licensed" games where the only benefit that seems to bring is official player names.

Which are the better games: EA's FIFA or Sensi/ProEvo?

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34110

Streaming ads ? , so not just a billboard here or there , but a billboard that changes . I presume what they mean is that when you connect to the server or load the map , maybe during 'verifying' the actual billboard add would be d/led . This time on Karkand it's a Coke add , the next time it's a Pepsi add ( an add for pepsi pfff...flogging a dead horse tbh :) ).This really wouldn't lead to a delay or excess use of bandwidth .... but what if they took it further .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I've now had the misfortune to try this game. Welcome to the demise of the battlefield series. I don't even want to comment on the streaming ads, talk about alienating the people who have played this series from the start.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I don’t know all the details of the way they are going to implement this, however, EA shouldn’t be allowed to do this on any servers but their own.

Just one example is in the unlikely event of one or two adverts breaching regulation in Ireland, or wherever, the host and not EA would be most likely responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Silverfish wrote:
    I was thinking more 'Battlefield 1042 - The Vikings'.

With ads for fresh suckling pig, and the latest longship by Bjorn Hjronnedsonsonssson.

I wouldnt be suprised if somewhere down the line we get a Battlfield set in the far past "Battlefield 1042 - The Vikings: Battle against the Celts, Saxons, Native Americans...and special ransack a monastery in Wexford mode!!!

Srsly, its gonna happen i mean what else do they have now? they've done all major time periods of modern warfare, they've now down the future...they can only really go further into the past, hah "Battlefield 1916"...stand around in a trench for an hour, jump out, get shot.

• Advertisement

R0ot wrote:

Anyway, Silverfish (Viriconia) you are the biggest fanboy (excuse the use of the word) i've ever seen for EA and YOUR the reason they get away with making the buggy crap they make. :D

How am I the reason? All I did was buy the game, and so did most of you here, so if I'm the reason, so are you. Nyer nyer nyer nyer nyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

aye in fairness, everyone is at that...
    Dell computers in CS:S, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Currently undecided about what its like atm, theres been alot of changes some good.... some terrible.
    Theres already ways being put forward on how to block ad streaming... and the amount of bilboards on the beta map is excessive.... not just 3 or 4 but theres over 20

Currently undecided about what its like atm, theres been alot of changes some good.... some terrible.
    Theres already ways being put forward on how to block ad streaming... and the amount of bilboards on the beta map is excessive.... not just 3 or 4 but theres over 20

Well...... let's look at it this way.

Its in the future. Looking at the way things are currently going in Real Life with advertising - even taking for example this very issue of advertising in games, is it really so unbelievable that in the future there will be billboards everywhere? I think its fairly realistic.

s it really so unbelievable that in the future there will be billboards everywhere?

advertising products for the year 2007 in the year 2142...yeah it is very unbelievable.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    advertising products for the year 2007 in the year 2142...yeah it is very unbelievable.

God yeah, that's far more important than the gameplay.

Maybe they won't, maybe it'll be 2142 ads for Coke or whatever, Coke / McDonalds / Burger King / whatever else has been mentioned in this thread etc etc are not 2007 - specific products.

yeah but i'm pretty sure the majority of the ads will be for computer hardware or new software, because online gaming is a target market for these products.

Burger king etc wont advertise because its too small of a market for an already recognised brand and far too big to need to advertise in a online game.

I'm guessing the vast majority of the ads will be for graphic cards or broadband packages. Which will be 2007 specific.
    God yeah, that's far more important than the gameplay.

hold on I was responding to your believability comment, not gameplay. I already answered that way way way up in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Silverfish wrote:
    Maybe they won't, maybe it'll be 2142 ads for Coke or whatever, Coke / McDonalds / Burger King / whatever else has been mentioned in this thread etc etc are not 2007 - specific products.

Maybe it will be an add for a coke/mcd's/burgerking all-in-one tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

What I would like would be the ability for servers to allow their own ad's. An ad ingame for Best Buy will be super to people playing in North America but would mean total kack to anyone from Europe / Far East etc. If they had some sort of system where generic global ad's (Like those from Coke, Intel, AMD etc.) were run from EA servers but then local hosting providers (Like gaming365.ie or jolt etc.) could put ad's in relevent to their locality.

Also, the way Im thinking of ad's are Billboards or posters and such items. No popup's or sounds etc. Anything that would hinder play would be a bit let down and annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    aye in fairness, everyone is at that...
    Dell computers in CS:S, anyone?
    again, thats in context. youre in an office. there are office PC's. in fact, iirc theyre not even labeled as dell, theyre 'beefy computers'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well im not playing the Beta and bugs aside ( as Beta are allowed have em ) it dont look good. Like I said I havent played it but I watched my brother play one round and I cant see how its any different or any better then Bf2. It looks like the same game with the skins changed for a tank or heli. Ok the walker is new perhaps. Also it seemed to suffer from the uasul problems of bf2, like going around for ages looking for some to kill only getting killed by some unknown force. All i can say is I hope it has an infantry mod, cause the flying looks bad.
    Every BF game before this one I admit I diden like at first, including bf2 but at least I was looking forward to their release. im not looking forward to 2142. What i would like to see is BF1943 come out using the BF3 engine, assuming they are even working on one. The cant just keep rehashing their old products and expect us to fork out for it when its esentally the same game, with diffreent skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

man you should check out Forgotten Hope 2. Its a ww2 mod that'll be coming out for bf2 and it looks fantastic! http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.php?module=&lang=english&flash=yes&mod=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Ponster wrote:
    IMHO it kicks BF2's ass all over the place.

Maybe those guys forgot that they were supposed to be testing a beta rather than playing a final release?
    what he said....

Edit: heres a gameplay vid if anyones interested

http://battlefield2142.ea.com/battlefield/bf2142/movies/BF2142pcVIDeu800x450.mov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

what he said....

Edit: heres a gameplay vid if anyones interested

http://battlefield2142.ea.com/battlefield/bf2142/movies/BF2142pcVIDeu800x450.mov

capped at 2mb, sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Well im not playing the Beta and bugs aside ( as Beta are allowed have em ) it dont look good. Like I said I havent played it but I watched my brother play one round and I cant see how its any different or any better then Bf2. It looks like the same game with the skins changed for a tank or heli. Ok the walker is new perhaps. Also it seemed to suffer from the uasul problems of bf2, like going around for ages looking for some to kill only getting killed by some unknown force. All i can say is I hope it has an infantry mod, cause the flying looks bad.
    Every BF game before this one I admit I diden like at first, including bf2 but at least I was looking forward to their release. im not looking forward to 2142. What i would like to see is BF1943 come out using the BF3 engine, assuming they are even working on one. The cant just keep rehashing their old products and expect us to fork out for it when its esentally the same game, with diffreent skins.

having played it alot, never really had to look around for a while for a kill, save getting stranded on the side of the map from time to time. benifits of usually being armed with AA/AV weapons i suppose. The actual feel of play is some what different to bf2, if ya wanna score well, theres way more incentive to actually work as a squad, which unfortunatly is not something you see to often on public bf2 servers, while its the same its actually quite different, and im still looking forward to its release

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sounds like a load of bs tbh. If it's done subtly then it's no biggie. But if it's massive in your face adverts with sound and everything then good luck ea. Hopefully the majority of self respecting gamers will have the integrity to say f*ck you ea and boycott this excuse for extra revenue to line their already fat pockets.

Advertisement