Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this worth?

Options
  • 27-08-2006 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

I've got a bike that I want to sell but I have no idea how much it's worth. Perhaps someone here could give me a rough guideline? I'm lead to believe that it was quite expensive when it was new, but admittedely that would be quite a while ago now.

Bear in mind that it's been lying up for a couple of years so would be in need of a good service.

Pic1, Pic2, Pic3, Pic4.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Problems I can see and replacement costs are as follows:

Chain e12
    Cables e23
    Brake pads e12
    Tyres e24
    Tubes e12
    Bearings e20 (Wheels, Bottom Bracket and Headset, plus grease)

So, e93 plus labour time for service items. I'm ignoring purely cosmetic things like the rust on the brake hardware, absence of rubber gaiters on the brake levers (e12 a pair) etc. Just looking at what's needed for a roadworthy and serviceable bike.

Personally, I'd worry about the corrosion on the wheel rims - oxide showing at spoke nipples, coming through the anodised/powdercoated finish - Possibly a write-off, would be to me for safety reasons alone. Going over the bars in Dublin city because a wheel has collapsed, even at just 20Kph is unpleasant enough that I don't want to repeat the experience any time soon :eek:. The cheapest pair I could find in Dublin recently for a pair of 700c road wheels was e100.

So, that's either the guts of e100 just to fix it up, or possibly almost e200 if the wheels are knackered.

Which brings us to the frame. That seatpost is alloy, inserted in a steel frame, same as the stem in the steel steerer tube on the fork. Chances are that neither have been adjusted in years and could prove impossible to remove without damaging the frame and forks. Aluminium will oxidise into a powder when in contact with steel, which causes parts like those to seize in place. It's possible they'll come out fine but I doubt it, from unpleasant past experience.

Another potential problem I can see is that in both picture 1 and 2, it looks like the top-tube is bent slightly upwards around 3-4" back from the head-tube. Can anyone confirm? It's in 2 pictures and doesn't appear to be a perspective thing. If the frame really is bent, that bike has next to no value.

But, if the frame is straight and the seatpost and stem can be re/moved, and assuming that's a Reynold 531 sticker just beside the shifter mounts on the down-tube, it would have a reasonable value for someone. Personally, I'd pay 50 euro for the frame and forks, if they're usable - For a fixie project bike I've been mulling over. The rest would be 'scrap' in my books - It would literally be headed for the bin as soon as I could strip it.

Anyone who'd just want to fix it up and use it probably won't pay much more either because of overall cost by the time they've tidied it up a bit - They'd be looking at adding that e100 just to fix it up, not counting wheels. In fact, they might need to have the wheels trued up anyway, even if they're sound enough to use - That's e20 any day.

So, there you have it. Sorry if that's bad news or you think I'm being unfair - But I think you already realise it's a little uncared for. It certainly would have been a nice enough entry/mid level bike when new. But with Halfords selling the modern equivalent Raleigh racing bike (with much nicer components and an aluminium frame etc) for just 309 euro, it's days are numbered. Hmmm, there's even a steel framed commuter there for just e159 as far as I remember (I'm on the lookout for a mountainbike/touring bike for the girlfriend).

Anyway, hope that helps,

Gil

BTW, take that e50 as an offer too if you want. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Cheers dude, but i'm afraid i cant really see the forest for the trees. How much do you think I should ask for it? It belonged to an old flatmate who moved out a couple of years ago. The fυcker owed me €80 when he left so that's what I was kinda hoping to get for it. Is that unrealistic?

Edit: ah right €50. I'll keep it in mind.

Ah, okay - I wouldn't want to buy it if it wasn't 'technically' yours to begin with I'm afraid - And I write that without prejudice. I understand the way it works so good look in recovering his debt. :D

Cheers,

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Well in fairness if he wanted it he had 2 years to come and pick it up. I'm movin out soon too so have to get rid of it either way, might as well try to make a few bucks as just dump it. Plus he recently moved to Australia so i doubt he'll be callin for it any time soon :)

Cheers for the info anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Write the bike off

Pic 1 showed a small kink in the front of the top tube (crossbar).

The frame has been crashed or serious comprimised by mechanical force. Been sitting x? years to rust (from the inside out)

The frame is worthless unless you want to use use it yourself.

I do not recommend a sale. The bike may not be road worthy or structurally sound.

A scrap metal agent may take it for free.

Advertisement