Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer crashing due to Norton?

• 27-08-2006 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

My laptop (XP, SP2) started crashing shortly after starting up the other day. Blue screen would flash up briefly, giving me no time to read the info and then the system would restart. Once, it stayed on long enough to take me to a Microsoft error page telling me that the problem was with my display driver (ATI Mobility Radeon X700).

I restarted in safe mode but couldn't reinstall the driver as it hadn't loaded in the first place.

To cut a long story short, I went trial and error disabling different start up items and everything was stable when Norton Antivirus 2005 didn't start. I started it manually when everything was up and running and the system crashed almost immediately. My sound driver (Realtek AC97) was also corrupted. (reinstalled it and it's fine).

I've now uninstalled Norton (using AVG instead) and everything's fine. I'm just wondering if this problem was a symptom of something more serious or could Norton be entirely to blame? :confused: (I've done all the usual scans for spyware, viruses, etc. and it's clean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hard to say, yes Norton is known to cause problems with a number of issues (normally hogging of the system resources). This is a new one. :) It just happened all of a sudden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Out of the blue.

Norton was pissing me off anyway so I'm not sorry to lose it and everything's been running smoothly since I got rid if it (especially the system starting up about a minute faster).

I've trawled the web for info on software conflicts etc. but couldn't find anything like this.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

/Can we get a chant going....: Burn the disc, Burn the Disc... BURN NORTON BURN!

;) MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

/Can we get a chant going....: Burn the disc, Burn the Disc... BURN NORTON BURN!

;) MC

That soundss like a very good idea. I work at fixing PC's and getting rid of norton fixes most problems. :) why bother paying for expensive buggy software when AVG is free for home and very cheap for business??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You had a virus, its called Norton. Burn the disc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement