Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I knew Peugeot diesels were good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Taxi!" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can get some odd numbers on carzone if you set the mileage to a minimum of 200k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gyppo wrote:

I reckon that is a typo. More than likely it is 92,280 miles. Very unlikely a garage would advertise a car and mention it had over 900k miles on it. It would attract zero interest. Most people are still uptight about cars with 100k miles on them not to mind 900k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

That's definitely a typo/error. By my calculations, assuming an unrealistic 60mph average, that milage equates to over 7.5 hours driving per day since the car was bought. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

you would probably be on your 4th engine block with that amount of miles :D

• Advertisement

That's definitely a typo/error. By my calculations, assuming an unrealistic 60mph average, that milage equates to 7.5 hours driving per day since the car was bought. ;)

By no means unrealistic though. Some taxis can be on the road 24 hours a day especially at weekends. They may have 2 or 3 drives if part of a fleet owned by a taxi firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mygt

A Merc is the best taxi to have - see below!!!!

http://www.mbusa.com/heritage/high-mileage.do

mygt wrote:

Not these days since they are owned by DaimlerChrysler. Alot of old Merc taxi drivers have switched to makes like Skoda, Toyota, etc as they give less trouble and cost alot less these days. MB are not as good as they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

bazz26 wrote:
    Not these days since they are owned by DaimlerChrysler. Alot of old Merc taxi drivers have switched to makes like Skoda, Toyota, etc as they give less trouble and cost alot less these days. MB are not as good as they used to be.

Agreed, those old W123 Merc's are virtually indestructable.

Unfortantly though, slowly I can see Mercedes going down the same dark road Rover did many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

bazz26 wrote:
    By no means unrealistic though. Some taxis can be on the road 24 hours a day especially at weekends. They may have 2 or 3 drives if part of a fleet owned by a taxi firm.
    I'd still be astounded if there was somewhere in Ireland that a Taxi would have the right combination population and roads to cover an average of over 450 miles per day over that length of time no matter how many people drove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

mygt wrote:

If you've ever been to Morrocco, you will see white W123 series mercs taxi-ing in their hundreds, all with mega-miles on them.

Also, another car you will see being plied as a taxi is the old Peugeot 205. These are normally red coloured, and cheaper fares applied.

I've no doubt that the ad on carzone is a typo, it gave me a laugh though.

Advertisement