Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Cork

Options
  • 27-08-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

Couldn't see anything in the sticky.

Basically, I could be moving down to Cork soon enough due to job. I'm very happy with this as I need a change of scenery, but I'll more than likely rent at first to see how I find the place, before going for a house or what not.

Basically, I will be working on Patrick St (if I get the job), and I am looking for accommadation that is either within walking distance, has a good bus service or a car park. I am only learning to drive so the last point isn't a major concern but it will be by years end.

Also, on that note, car parking in the city - easy or am I better off sticking to buses (depends on where I end up, I'm sure).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Wellington Road, Patrick's Hill, Richmond Hill are within walking distance of Patrick's Street, mostly older accommodation (terraced houses converted to flats). There is a good supply of newer accommodation around the North Gate Bridge / Mercy Hospital area, also within walking distance. There are also lots of flats and apartments in the Douglas Street area.
    Parking will be a problem if you live in the city centre - expect to pay extra for off-street parking. You might be able to get a city council permit for on-street parking (although I believe these may be restricted now), but the paperwork is very time-consuming, and of course this doesn't actually guarantee you a parking space.
    The bus routes in Cork are almost all terrible. In your position I think I'd try and find a place 15-20 minutes' walk from the city centre with on-street or preferably off-street parking. Try Turner's Cross, Deerpark, Sunday's Well, St. Luke's areas. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

you can also try cathedral road area,shandon street,blackpool,all within 20mins walk or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most of the major bus routes will terminate near or in Patrick Street, so you do have lots of options. Wilton, Douglas, Bishopstown, Ballinlough are some options just to name a few.

Be aware however, that the bus services in Cork can be extremely unreliable, even on timetabled city routes. It's really atrocious sometimes.

Look here on the Cork City Council website for maps of the city. There is an interactive street index, which is really useful and should help you when house-hunting.

There was a thread recently with details on how to get a parking permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm in Limerick at the moment so I know what Bus Eireann are like :)

What would be a reasonable price for a 1 bed apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd say somewhere in the region of €750 for a one-bed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement