Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Civic

• 27-08-2006 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard anything about the new civic.
    I can get one next week ,1.8 140hp Vtec .

When I test drove it a few months back I noticed it was a little overpowered
    it kind of wobbled at the front as I hit the higher rev range.
    I liked it other than that ,it seemed to have enough torque going up hills when I pushed it.

Anyone hear anything ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

_Brian_ wrote:
    When I test drove it a few months back I noticed it was a little overpowered
    it kind of wobbled at the front as I hit the higher rev range.
    I liked it other than that ,it seemed to have enough torque going up hills when I pushed it.

Well I wouldn't think thst it was overpowered as such. Suprised you found it wobbled, unless of course you were driving the proverbial sh1te out of it. As standard the Civics come with traction control (called VSA) to keep the power under-wraps. Was it a wet day or the VSA turned off?

The newer Sport model comes with 17" wheels as standard with an upgrade to 18" optional. These definately keep the power down.

On further reflection the same car comes with a 2.2 Diesel with 140bhp and 320Nm of torque! There seems to be little trouble in putting this down.

Nice car, the new design is not to everyone's taste, but personally I like it. Beyond that you cannot fault Honda's iVTEC technology in this car. Good mix of economy and power. I'm just waiting for the Type-R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thanks ,fingers crossed now everything works out,

I wasn't breaking the law ,I took off from 0 up a dual carriage way and hit 100KPH in second gear ,through about 6,000 6,500 a wobble was there.
    I was amazed when I looked at the speed dial ,took only a few seconds to get to it.

I know what you mean about people not liking it ,it's got an odd shape at the back and the rear arches look odd. Co-Efficiency is king for me from now on.
    Although I would like to get the new VW IROC when it comes out ,"scirocco"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

jayok wrote:
    On further reflection the same car comes with a 2.2 Diesel with 140bhp and 320Nm of torque! There seems to be little trouble in putting this down

i've enquired about this and it appeard the 2.2 diesel isn't available here in ireland.one can only assume it' to counter the effects of vrt and keeps costs down. damn vrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

preilly79 wrote:
    i've enquired about this and it appeard the 2.2 diesel isn't available here in ireland.one can only assume it' to counter the effects of vrt and keeps costs down. damn vrt

That and the fact that there would be very little demand for a car that size with a 2.2 litre engine. Interestingly the old Civic was available in 1.7 diesel also but never officially sold in Ireland.

Remember the Nissan Almera being available for a very short time in 2.2 diesel but they sold very little of them. Mostly the car van version which qualified for commercial tax.

I'd not be able to afford the diesel ,you'd be looking at close to 30 grand I wreckon with the diesel block in the car, wouldn't say that would be very appealing having a car that size with a price tag like that on the list.

The new civic is suppose to be fairly light on juice ,provided the 6 gears are used properly ,hopefully:rolleyes: .

• Advertisement

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'd not be able to afford the diesel ,you'd be looking at close to 30 grand I wreckon with the diesel block in the car, wouldn't say that would be very appealing having a car that size with a price tag like that on the list.

The new civic is suppose to be fairly light on juice ,provided the 6 gears are used properly ,hopefully:rolleyes: .

True but then again some people have no problem paying up to €30k for a fully loaded VW Golf 1.4 litre.

I would say the lack of a diesel Civic in the Irish market also has something to do with the demand for it in the UK. The UK market is way bigger than the Irish market and probably all right hand drive diesel Civics are sold there.

Is it the saloon or hatchback you are interested in?

its the hatch ,it's not the one I wanted ,but I rang the guy i deal with and he just happens to be getting one in on monday.
    It's the executive model ,standard roof ,no fogs ,but it has leather seats.
    I enquired about the civic before the guys at honda knew anything about it ,it's true about the market in england and I'm sure honda's QC has something to do with not going full hog with such a new model.
    It's the engine I'm really after ,along with the dashboard .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

I've put 15,000 kms on a new Civic 1.8 ES hatch. I still love the looks outside and in. The power is great for a standard standard small car and I've been pleasantly surprised with the fuel consumption. I get around 40 mpg on my 15 mile commute (about half of it in stop-start traffic) and 45 mpg on a longer run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    That and the fact that there would be very little demand for a car that size with a 2.2 litre engine. Interestingly the old Civic was available in 1.7 diesel also but never officially sold in Ireland..

But they should still make it available to order, should someone want it and be willing to wait. It can only result in an extra sale or two, or maybe a customer who was going to spend less spending more. It's annoying that most manufacturers dont offer larger engines as special orders even. Renault for example dont even have the clio 197 on their website. I assume its sold here as the previous 3 incarnations were.

nice one andy ,did you go for the glass roof ??
    I'm not sure whether I'd really regret not getting it ,but it's probably just something that would dissapear in a couple of weeks....

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    But they should still make it available to order, should someone want it and be willing to wait. It can only result in an extra sale or two, or maybe a customer who was going to spend less spending more. It's annoying that most manufacturers dont offer larger engines as special orders even. Renault for example dont even have the clio 197 on their website. I assume its sold here as the previous 3 incarnations were.

I think some manufacturers (especially Japanese) still see the Irish market as pre Celtic Tiger where most people just go out and buy the basic entry level model.

It is almost murder these days to get something like a sunroof or leather in a Toyota for example without having to wait months for it to come from the factory.

Is it not just basic marketing rules ,if theres a car for 25,000 euro on the list beside a 30,000 model ,you automatically think the 25k car is not as good as the 30K car.
    The only reason the car is 30K is because of the countries tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

Yeah its got the glass roof, dual zone climate control and cruise control. I had to wait 3 months for the ES model. What's the lead time now? what colour are you going for?

Its red ,there seems to be a couple of them in stock at the moment.
    For some reason I think the red looks the best ,it seems to do the car justice.
    Originally I wanted the pearl blue metallic ,but I've seen one and I don't like the back of the car with that colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

celtic tiger or not, nobody's going to buy a Civic with a 2.2 engine, I can count on one finger the number of 2.2 diesel Avensis's we've gone through. there are 1.9 and 2.0 units in competitors that have similar power.
    bazz26 wrote:
    It is almost murder these days to get something like a sunroof or leather in a Toyota for example without having to wait months for it to come from the factory.

If there was sufficent demand for either leather interiors or sunroofs, dealers would order them in advance to satisfy anticipated demand. The reality is, it isn't practical to stock cars in a particular colour or trim with such options already fitted. the chances of a customer happening to want the exact colour, spec, with the oprions you've fitted are pretty slim.
    The compromise that seems to work is retro fit leather kits which are available from the manufacturer. these replace the cloth seats and only add a few days to the lead time of the car.

colm_mcm wrote:
    If there was sufficent demand for either leather interiors or sunroofs, dealers would order them in advance to satisfy anticipated demand. The reality is, it isn't practical to stock cars in a particular colour or trim with such options already fitted. the chances of a customer happening to want the exact colour, spec, with the oprions you've fitted are pretty slim.
    The compromise that seems to work is retro fit leather kits which are available from the manufacturer. these replace the cloth seats and only add a few days to the lead time of the car.

Granted Colm, you cannot have a car with unique options sitting in the showroom on the hope that someone may or may not buy it.

My point really is that the lead time even on something like a factory fitted sunroof for some manufacturers tends to take forever compared to others. It seems to me that some car makers don't seem to be that interested in anything that tends to divert from their mainstream assembly line. Just my take on it.

For example when I bought my current car I seriously wanted leather seats as we have a young child and I was willing to part with the extra cash at the time. My local dealer was doing his best to put me off saying it would take the best part of 5 months to get one from the factory and even at that there was no guarantee. Now he probably was telling the truth as he did make detailed enquires for me. It wasn't a show stopper for me as I wanted the car but wasn't prepared to wait almost half a year for it with leather.

Interestingly enough though my local VW dealer could have had a Passat with leather for me from the factory with a lead time of 10 weeks.

P.S. I have seen some of those retro fit leather kits and the quality doesn't look the same imo.

Advertisement