Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dogs acting 'macho'

Options
  • 27-08-2006 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I have a lovely dalmation that's just reached adulthood I guess at 9 months old... He is so good tempered at home and very docile with us (we couldn't imagine him ever biting us and he never growls), we have another dog - a female and they get on really well. The past two weeks he is acting very macho - no humping but he has been a little rough with the female, he's killed a pidgeon in the back garden and today at the beach a little terrier came up him while we were walking and I was trying to drag him away but they started fighting and he grabbed this poor terrier by the throat - he eventually let go but I got a terrible shock that he did it.
    The other dog wasn't on a lead whereas mine was so I don't think it's my fault to be honest and the owners didn't call their dog when it ran up and started jumping around. I am upset because the lady (it was a couple with the other dog) started shouting "your dog is vicious" etc.. I did say you should have called your dog off or had him on the lead but I still feel for them cos I wouldn't want to see my dog hurt.
    I'm putting him in to get neutered tomorrow but I'm still worried that this happened?
    Do you think neutering will be the cure?
    I didn't think he was a vicious dog, is this in him for good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Dalmatians tend to have a nasty streak in them. I've known of a few who had to be muzzled when out in public, they do tend to attack other dogs rather than people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I wouldn't worry too much about the pidgeon and neutering might help with aggression. It is hard to tell whether he was being aggressive or trying to defend himself with the terrier on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Leashed dogs often react very differently as they would unleashed. Leash aggression has to be ruled out before you consider your dog *dangerous* ;).

And I suppose that deafness has not been detected in your dog either? Dalmations are very prone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Thanks for the replies, I'l say it to the vet too about the effect of neutering because he has been very disobedient lately.
    Egar - I didn't realise the leash might make him react differently or more insecurely so that might be the problem because he usually ignores other dogs or has done in the past :(

He's not deaf going on his ability to hear a plastic packet crinkle or something hit the dog bowl :)

Advertisement