Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fighting the white

Options
  • 27-08-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Went for a surf today, found after I caught a wave I was spending most of my time trying to paddle back out, but getting beaten back by waves constantly breaking infront or on top of me. Any tips or suggestions to improve my techinque and how to handle the white water

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

It depends on the size of the waves and the size of your board.
    If they're 2 - 3 foot waves then you should be able to just push yourself up on the board and the white water will pass between you and the board.

For bigger waves you can try doing a turtle roll:
    - paddle towards the wave
    - grab on to your board with your arms and legs
    - roll over backwards and pull the front of the board down a bit
    - Allow the wave to pass over the board
    - Roll back onto your front.

If you ride a short board you can also do a duck dive. This basically involves paddling towards the wave and pushing the board underneath it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

For the smaller incoming waves or break;
    Board under the water, you over the water.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

im using a 7,3 circle one atm not sure if that is short enough to duck dive, as for the turtle roll tried it a few time had problems rolling back onto the board after being submerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Had the same problem as jOe yesterday and me arms are killing me from paddling. I tried the turtle roll but by found it difficult to flip upright again and by the time I could get back on the board another wave would carry me back towards the shore. Is it possible to duck dive with a 7'9" or is there a knack to the flip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

yeah get fitter :D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Damn! Bang goes my theory about using my spare tires for extra flotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Best advice I ever got, for paddling out or catching waves:
    "Paddle 'arder mate!" :D

It shouldn't take you too long to get fit enough to paddle out at most breaks, go to the pool when you're not at the beach and if you are at the beach and it's flat, go for a paddle. There's a lot to be said for a good paddle technique, make sure you keep the board planing steadily and you'll catch more waves and paddle faster.

A lot of beginners lie too far back on the boards with the nose sticking in the air. This'll get you nowhere. Keep at it anyway, it does take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

oh there allways use the rip to get out back allways so handy just float for two minites then get your self in to position for the next set ........

Not advisable for learners as its dangerous ......

Advertisement