Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouija Boards (megathread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

6th wrote:
    What are these adaptions?
    it's a subconscious thing.. I guess.
    The fact that it's a guidance board and not a "talking to dead people board game" helps too. For people seeking answers to questions it acts as an oracle in much the same way as a dowsing pendulum, where the source of information is retrieved from levels of our own subconscious minds. It's got nothing to do with asking questions of the dead.
    I'm currently reading a book on the history and culture of Voodoo, this is not for me to learn how to do it, i'm reading it to be informed on and interesting and often misunderstood subject. Similarily Ouija Boards, their history and their place in modern culture are very interesting and merits being written about. People must realise there are more views than just promoting or telling people to stay away from it.
    this is all good and well and for those interested in the history of object d'art I'm sure it's intriguing, try to remember tho the point was made here at this forum for general discussion, whether mysteria was indirectly referencing your magazine at this point is irrelevant. You have an option to listen to both sides of the story. There is no right or wrong answer here, just opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I fully agree its all opinions and my whole point is that no one opinion is right. With regards to the angel boards i know people who use them and dont belive they are just accessing their subconcious.

So from what you say it isnt the Ouija Board that is dangerous but the intention with which one appraoches it? That would be my belive and why i would only ever use a ouija board with 2 people i would feel absolutely comfortable with who go in with an open and mind and a good grip on their baggage.

Can i just say i am not saying ouija boards are not dangerous, i seem to be getting the impression that people think i am telling eveyone to go out and use them.

I'm just saying peple should have access to the information and make up their own minds.

6th wrote:
    With regards to the angel boards i know people who use them and dont belive they are just accessing their subconcious.
    some people don't know the difference. Either way, there is a safety measure there on a subconscious level. It's fair to say that people who have experienced loss are more given to contact with loved ones..and that is what angels are symbolic of, a divine love close to God. So on a subconscious level that's the guidance employed with the nature of the board.

Ouija boards doesn't have the same parametres, who are you asking a yes or no question of?
    Is it the difference between walking around on the ground in Iraq and walking around in the safety of a eh..church, lets say. (church's may not be the safest place for young kids either :) )
    That would be my belive and why i would only ever use a ouija board with 2 people i would feel absolutely comfortable with who go in with an open and mind and a good grip on their baggage.
    Go for it 6th, as long as your wearing flak jackets I guess, then when you write about these things at least you're writing from experience.

Mediums don't need tools to contact loved ones and any who do, in my mind are no mediums at all.
    I'm just saying peple should have access to the information and make up their own minds.
    maybe you should just have linked to the article.

[edit]for what it's worth, I don't use any of these tools.

It must be reminded that the OP brought up two distinct subjects:

1) The Dangers of Ouija Boards

2) The danger of seeking advice from amateurs as opposed to experts

With regards to OUija Boards I will make one final summary of my opinion:
    I believe ouija boards are potentially very dangerous when used by people with no respect for it as a tool or spirits and energies in general. I also believe it has the potential of being a interesting tool in used correctly but in the end it is a quickfix.

With regards to the amateur/professional/expert side of things I will not just except the beliefs and opinions of one "expert" above an those amateur in a field which has yet to be explained.

• Advertisement

solas wrote:
    Mediums don't need tools to contact loved ones and any who do, in my mind are no mediums at all.

Tools can be merely a focal point to aid concentration. Candles could been seen as tools when used for meditation? I dont think they should rely too heavily on tools but to say they are not genuine if they use them is rubbish.

I'm not sure I consider a candle as a tool in the same sense, it's an aid like a lightbulb, used to assist the environment, (they help us see in the dark) or as used during meditation aids the atmosphere, in a similar fashion.
    Mediums don't need tools like the ouija board to contact spirit, that's why they are called mediums. in the case of ouija boards, the board is the medium.
    Folk who do recieve communications as mediums will usually explain that they don't go looking for spirit, it's spirit who come to them. or so I'm told.

solas wrote:
    I'm not sure I consider a candle as a tool in the same sense, it's an aid like a lightbulb, used to assist the environment, or which when used during meditation aids the atmosphere.
    Mediums don't need tools like the ouija board to contact spirit, that's why they are called mediums. in the case of ouija boards, the board is the medium.
    Folk who do recieve communicationsas mediums will usually explain that they don't go looking for spirit, it's spirit who come looking for them. or so I'm told.

Tools, in my opinion, are anything you use to aid in achieving the desired goal.
    As for spirits coming looking for mediums thats true in my experience. I dont believe there is a medium in the world who can call a specific spirit at will.

With regard to the OP, I think discussing the dangers of ouija boards is fair enough, as for amatuers and experts..well, maybe Mysteria has experience in dealing with these kind of things and is speaking from her own experience.

6th wrote:
    As for spirits coming looking for mediums thats true in my experience. I dont believe there is a medium in the world who can call a specific spirit at will.
    then what's the point in ouija boards?

• Advertisement

solas wrote:
    then what's the point in ouija boards?

I dont think there is a point. As i said they are a quick fix, they make contact with random energies at best but for someone who just wants to expereince something paranrmal i'm sure they hit the spot.

I have no idea of what they can ideal achieve as i said i choose not to use one.

Do i think a desperate and grieving person should use them? No.

well..I'm glad all the desperate greiving people out there have 6th to guide them in their ventures.

go meditate man

solas wrote:
    well..I'm glad all the desperate greiving people out there have 6th to guide them in their ventures.

go meditate man

hey whats with the attitude? I made no comments to warrent that. Did i say people should come to me? No i just underlined the fact that people in a delicate frame of mind shouldnt use them.

I didn't bring the attitude 6th, I understand you feel you have to defend your position or stance in your article from your magazine. Had I known this thread was about as much I wouldn't have bothered participating. you have my opinion on the subject, the rest is none of my business.

I just suggested the thread was aimed at my mag, if it was then this is not the place for it and the OP should have come to me with any problem they had with it.

You seem to have a problem with the fact that this could be some sort of conflict between two posters and if it is you are dead right. I dont like the fact that this could have been a shy dig at me but it did bring up an interesting debate.

I hope this hasnt influenced you opinion of me but try ignore the possible reasons for this thread coming about and threat it as the debate it has become.

For the cord as Zillah saif he wrote the article not me. I dont feel i have to defend anything. I've only stated my opinions on here are i am free to do. The article has fuck all to do with this thread especially seeing as it has only been read by 2 people from here.

6th wrote:
    I dont like the fact that this could have been a shy dig at me but it did bring up an interesting debate.
    it's something I'm only too familiar with from other forums of the same nature, which is why I don't want to get involved.
    I hope this hasnt influenced you opinion of me but try ignore the possible reasons for this thread coming about and threat it as the debate it has become.
    I dunno about you but I'm going to have a cup of tea, and an early night (maybe a little meditation) and let it go.

solas wrote:

go meditate man

I'd let it go if it wasnt for the above dig. I've never been up my own arse or made claims of superiority and yet you paint me as someone who sees themselve as a saviour? Not on especially seeing as the whole thread started with a dig at me.

Enjoy your cuppa though ;)

like I said, keep this between you and mysteria.

[edit]I'm out of this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

I presume your doctor, dentist etc has qualifications, experience, and a repected reputation for knowing their field 6th? I wrote a book, a best seller worldwide, 10 yrs ago on the subject and I've had to work with hundreds of people traumatized but using Ouija, I've used it myself as a student, and have never, ever heard of any benefit from using it. The majority of people who used it were frightened, but quite a few ended up with psychaitrists who then sent them back to me to try and help. A friend's brother threw himself into Killiney Bay he was so scared by the "spirits and demons" he believed had followed him home. He's dead of course, and while I can see the point that objects don't have any inherent power in themselves, I've seen nothing good ever to come out of a ouija experience. So relax 6th, I don't recommend smoking either, don't take things so personally, anddon't overanalyze everything we say, it's not good for your head lad!

mysteria wrote:
    I presume your doctor, dentist etc has qualifications, experience, and a repected reputation for knowing their field 6th? Don't overanalyze everything I say, it's not good for your head lad!

Yes they do but what has that got to do with anything? It doesnt make them infalable (spelling?). Boards.ie doesnt have a medical forum coz it would be a bad idea to give out advice on such matters, maybe you can take it up with the admin to haver this forum removed.

Funny you didnt have a problem with me until I made a comment about your tours?

If you want to say something strap on a set of balls and say it.

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    Yes they do but what has that got to do with anything? It doesnt make them infalable (spelling?). Boards.ie doesnt have a medical forum coz it would be a bad idea to give out advice on such matters, maybe you can take it up with the admin to haver this forum removed.

Funny you didnt have a problem with me until I made a comment about your tours?

If you want to say something strap on a set of balls and say it.
    I posted when I looked for the first time out of interest at your proposed mag, not because you criticised my "tours", they are actually Spiritual celebrations of the Pagan festivals.

folks..c'mon, give it a break, we should be able to resolve these issues amicably.
    I can't handle this kind of attitude amongst these kind of groups anymore, there shouldn't be any need for it, please.

Ita ok i'll take it to the Thunderdome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I wouldn't call myself an expert, or even an amateur, as I've done no research, and have next to no experience of the paranormal. So, you can call what I'm saying a complete outsiders opinion. (or you could call it an attempt to get the thread back on topic) If i'm repeating what's been said before, sorry.

Ouija boards, which I've never touched before, I think can be dangerous, but, part of the reason for that is people expect them to be dangerous. I think somebody said before, people sit down at a ouija board, and start hearing sounds from the house, they immediatly attribute it to the ouija board. I've often been alone in a house at night (what with my lack of a life and all), and have heard a noise downstairs, and first thing in my head is that there's burgulars in. So i can easily understand people attributing noises to demons and ghosts.

The problem is, once you've made that connection, it's hard to break, (unlike the burglar in the house, which you can disprove by going downstairs).

The other main problem I see with ouija boards, is the ease at which people can dupe others into thinking they are getting messages, all they need to do is apply a small bit of pressure, and then ask if someone is pushing the glass.

I don't think it's fair for people to call themselves experts in this subject, they may be well educated on the subject, have great amounts of experience, but I think it all amounts to theories, and very little proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

mysteria wrote:
    I presume your doctor, dentist etc has qualifications, experience, and a repected reputation for knowing their field 6th? I wrote a book, a best seller worldwide

Whereabouts on the bestseller list was your book?

You make too much of your book and your PhD in metaphysics to back up your arguments, when in fact anyone can write a book (I've purchased books of which there were only a couple of thousand copies printed) or get a 'degree' in 'Metaphysics'.

Ok to say this topic i've started one about the conflict in the Thunderdome:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51465339#post51465339

If people have a comment on myself or mysteria make it there as its a free for all an di for one wont have a problem being called an egomaniac there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im keeping this thoroughly on topic. I agree with Mysteria here. They can be dangererous, even if it is only because it upsets the balance of a possibly already delicate mind. I personally believe they work, because of my own experiences, and for that reason too, would advise others to stay away from them. Ive described them before as a blunt and clumsy tool.

As for the b!tching, c'mon lads yere all adults and this is the internet for fecks sake. Brush it off,.

On topic:

Ouija boards are potentially dangerous, unpredicable and a lazy tool but they work, with so far as you can make contact using one - just not the spirit/energy you might want contact with.

Approach with caustion.

As for only getting advice from experts and professional - we wont stop supporting each other here just coz "mother knows best".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Mysteria and 6th I'm not a happy bunny.

6th, I understand you're passionate about the subject and I think this has been a large misunderstanding, but please don't go goading people into flaming you.

Mysteria, consider this a formal warning. If you post a personal insult like that again on this forum, you'll get a ban, just like anyone else. You're allowed you opinion and many will agree, but so are others. Attack the argument but if you want to insult people, then don't come here.

If this continues I'll start slapping out bans.

• Advertisement

6th I'd be obliged if you would address the subject matter of my posts in future rather than making personal comments about myself and my work.

Advertisement