Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive in Dublin

Options
  • 27-08-2006 9:15pm

I live in the North but study in Dublin. I haven't learned to drive yet (I'm 21) as I'm never home long enough to take all the lessons and the test. I was thinking of doing the lessons and maybe the test in Dublin, as I'm going to be there until next June. Don't want to put it off much longer. I have a few questions about learning to drive in Ireland. Would I have a problem registering for classes since I'm not officially Irish? Could I just apply for an Irish provisional license beforehand? Is it easy to book lessons or is there an extremely high demand? Is there a huge waiting list to take the test? How much on average is each lesson and the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi

Information on driving licences and the test Motoring

You need a provisional licence before you can drive on the road

After you have your licence ring any driving school they will be more than happy to take your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    Would I have a problem registering for classes since I'm not officially Irish?
    No problem - your nationality would be irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    I live in the North but study in Dublin. Would I have a problem registering for classes since I'm not officially Irish? Could I just apply for an Irish provisional license beforehand?

You must have an IRISH provisional license, so would have to take the theory test first. Provisional licenses from the north or UK are not valid.

About 12 months waiting list at present, but that should come down soon !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

About 12 months waiting list at present, but that should come down soon !!
    Yup, Real Soon Now(tm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    Would I have a problem registering for classes since I'm not officially Irish?
    I can't see why you'd have a problem.
    Could I just apply for an Irish provisional license beforehand?
    You need to first apply and do the theory test http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/driver_theory_test.html
    Then you can apply for a provisional driving license.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/provisional_driving_licence.html
    Is it easy to book lessons or is there an extremely high demand?
    Generally the better the instructor the more they are in demand. My advise would be to have a look at the website www.dir.ie. If you give them a ring them will give you a list of instructors in your area that are qualified to instruct and that they recommend.
    Is there a huge waiting list to take the test?
    Yup, up to a year or more waiting. Some places have lowered this now but expect to wait a year but don't rely on it being a year either.
    How much on average is each lesson and the test?
    Each lesson costs €30-35. I'm afraid I can't say how much the test's cost.

A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement