Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice, want to overclock 805

• 27-08-2006 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi
    I am totally totally new to this.. I bought a cheapish pc, but it has a Pentium D 805 dual core chip (with stock intel cooler) which is 2x2.66 and I was wondering what you guys think is safe to go up to with that cooler..

The board is ASUS P5P800-VM SKT 775 board (i865 chipset i think)
    Its got 1 gig ddr 333 ram (not great)
    I'll be putting an old fx 5900 xt into it

You think its possible to get it running at about 3.3 ghz with the stock cooler? I read that it doesnt need extra voltage at around 3.2/3.3

Will the ram and/or motherboard bottleneck it? (I know nothing about this really)

And if I was to get a cooler from komplett which is a good cheap one to get for that kind of chip?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Bunny wrote:
    Hi
    I am totally totally new to this.. I bought a cheapish pc, but it has a Pentium D 805 dual core chip (with stock intel cooler) which is 2x2.66 and I was wondering what you guys think is safe to go up to with that cooler..

The board is ASUS P5P800-VM SKT 775 board (i865 chipset i think)
    Its got 1 gig ddr 333 ram (not great)
    I'll be putting an old fx 5900 xt into it

You think its possible to get it running at about 3.3 ghz with the stock cooler? I read that it doesnt need extra voltage at around 3.2/3.3

Will the ram and/or motherboard bottleneck it? (I know nothing about this really)

And if I was to get a cooler from komplett which is a good cheap one to get for that kind of chip?

thanks
    EDIT: Ram will hinder you however. Get new RAM!
    Listen dude, you should be able to hit 4Ghz with that bad boy. Stock cooler should be not far off, but >4gig you'll need a a better air cooler. You'll also need about 1.6 - 1.65 Vcore They are great value for money! Remind does that have 256kb cache (x2)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

just checked ebay, these 805's are going for buttons, conroe must have really hit the prices hard. Ive seen a couple of 805's go for between $60 and $100! Thats a lot of wallop for the money even if the chip doesnt overclock clock too well.

Moving to the states in two weeks, think its time to move from S478!

How hit-and-miss is the overclocability of these chips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

overclockability from what ive seen and done is roughly 3.8-4.2ghz on water at least, you may be able to hit close to that with a decent air cooler

im @ 3.9ghz stable with water with a cheap enough mobo

i think it was well worth 130 euros and @ 60-100 dollars it is a steal, they are like the opterons, you are nearly guarenteed a decent overclock

Advertisement