Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MeteorSMS2

• 28-08-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Some of you might remember me releasing a C# implementation of MeteorSMS, i updated it a few weeks back by making it work with the new meteor site, along with .net 2 and cleaner code, and im giving the source code away under the BSD license.

http://www.donutsoft.net/meteorsms.zip

I thought id finish it off quickly before the java implementation is done:)

Once again, like the last time, if you do like this program, please add me ad donut at donutsoft dot net on msn, theres some really other interesting things im working on too that i wouldnt mind having irish testers.

One more question:
    Me and a friend made a J2ME/ASP.net implementation of meteorsms, on an emulator it works fine, but on my phone it complains Server not found. Does Meteor block sites other than its own? Im using the settings meteor sent me from their site for WAP etc. For some reason Opera can visit my site on my phone, but nokias own browser cant either.

Once I get that sorted out, it also means 2c texts for everyone on meteor, and soon enough o2/vodafone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Now if somebody just made a widget for O2 webtext for Mac OS X. :D

Seriously though, I'll probably download this and try it out. Thanks for spending time on it. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I was connecting to the internet via GPRS with Meteor, I was having trouble. I called them, and they enabled "full internet access" on my account (or something), and after that I could access all web sites. I'm not sure if that's related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

thanks, im pretty sure it is. I dont know why they didnt have it activated by default for you, pretty pathetic if youask me. Basically the J2ME client connects to my server that hosts a minimal ASP.net page to do the rest of the work in order to save bandwidth. Adding other services will be really easy to do aswell. I have a few other neat plans for it, lets just hope that meteor will activate the full internet for me tommorow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Nice little app & Ive used it before, but this latest version is asking for .NET framework 2.0. Theres no way Im installing that just for a small app like this, Id rather just use the meteor site. Is there any way of getting around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

it seems to freeze when i send a message....

The application will freeze for a few seconds while sending, it could take much longer on dialup to send.

As far as .net 2 goes, its only a 23mb download, and chances are sooner rather than later youll also need it for something else. The source code is there for someone to move the code all over to visual studio 2003, it shouldnt be hard, just cumbersome drawing up the new forms.

• Advertisement

Its not the size of the download, more that I have a stable platform on my work machine, and all my programs/environments run ok it atm. ditto on my laptop, and dont want to risk changing it for a text sending app. Your not gonna change it so it doesnt require the upgrade no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭markpb

Works great for me but the PIN box shows in the clear instead of starred out. It's only a minor problem.

skywalker wrote:
    Its not the size of the download, more that I have a stable platform on my work machine, and all my programs/environments run ok it atm. ditto on my laptop, and dont want to risk changing it for a text sending app. Your not gonna change it so it doesnt require the upgrade no?

I have yet to find a single machine that went unstable after installing the .net 2.0 framework. If you keep your PC up to date with critical patches, you pretty much run the same risk, probably even more of a risk as your changing system dlls, where .net just adds new ones (dont quote me on that, im not 100% on it).
    If its that bad, you can also just use system restore to uninstall it. Maybe you installed a Beta version on your laptop?

Anyway, I wouldnt have had any problems compiling you a .net 1.1 version, but its simply too much effort to actually get Visual studio 2003 to read the forms etc, infact the entire file structure changed in Visual Studio 2005 (which angers me a good bit). So the only thing I could do is redraw the form and copy and paste the source over.

Anyway the password character problem is now fixed, so simply download again and replace the exe.

And once again, apologies for not porting the program back to .net 1.1, ive had enough headaches getting the code to work with 2.0 ;)

No probs, thanks anyway.

I updated the code, due to rushing off the code i forgot to fully implement the addressbook. Now you can click on a name and the number gets filled in automatically. Sorry for the stupid mistake, i should have fixed it sooner but I was busy with other things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

donutface wrote:
    i wouldnt mind having irish testers.

Once I get that sorted out, it also means 2c texts for everyone on meteor, and soon enough o2/vodafone.

Working fine for me, I'll test apps for you on Voda, O2 or Meteor if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

How did ye get the gprs to work? I got the meteor isp settings, but when i try to connect it says "Subscribe to GPRS first"

How did ye get the gprs to work? I got the meteor isp settings, but when i try to connect it says "Subscribe to GPRS first"

This is MeteorSMS, not MurphSMS. MeteorSMS runs on PC's, MurphSMS runs on phones

As far as o2 and vodafone goes, i dont have code for that yet, and im not too rushed into coding an o2 implementation. Maybe a vodafone one sometime

Advertisement