Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A fun smart car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know it's an MMC Smart , but it's not really because it has a clutch!! pity

Just one of those little quirks that made Smart so smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

100 - 0 in a million pieces.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'd love to test drive it, its fwd tho' I had presumed it would be rwd as most smart cars are?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mloc123 wrote:
    I'd love to test drive it, its fwd tho' I had presumed it would be rwd as most smart cars are?

I think it is front wheel drive as the Smart ForFour shares alot of components with the current Mitsubishi Colt afaik. RWD on a car that size would cost a fortune to engineer.

BTW that car cost €31.5k new, that is some depreciation in just over 1 year. :eek:

Are the roadsters and the city(is that what the original was called) not rwd?

yeah, 10k in a year is crazy. I'm pretty sure it was up for about 17k 2-3months ago, he must have changed his mind. I love to buy it but.... In a years time you might find it hard to trade in for any money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mloc123 wrote:
    Are the roadsters and the city(is that what the original was called) not rwd?

yeah, 10k in a year is crazy. I'm pretty sure it was up for about 17k 2-3months ago, he must have changed his mind. I love to buy it but.... In a years time you might find it hard to trade in for any money.

Yes, apparently the ForTwo city car and Roadster coupe are both RWD.

I reckon once you mention "Brabus" to insurance companies, premiums go through the roof. This will limit the amount of interest in it.

The Roadster Brabus cost around the same when new and is more appealing in this niche market.

Much nicer:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=488396
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=421222

got an oline quote with quin on the forfour brabus...

22, 0 ncb, 3 years named exp, full licence 0 years.... €1200 fully comp.

The colt with the same engine is about €1600.

Its a pity they never made a quick roadster, 80bhp isn't exactly exciting even if they only weight 800kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

I drove one quite recently...can honestly say it's the quickest thing I've ever driven. Pretty impressive when the turbo kicks in too....felt like all hell breaking loose. Traction control is on overtime when it's wet cause it's very possible to spin the wheels in first, second and sometimes third in the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

The ForFour Brabus has a manual gearbox. Great car. It's the only one registered in the south of Ireland AFAIK. I was looking to buy it but got a Roadster instead. The ForTwo and Roadsters are both RWD. Also, I was quoted less on the Brabus ForFour than on my Roadster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mloc123 wrote:
    Its a pity they never made a quick roadster, 80bhp isn't exactly exciting even if they only weight 800kgs.

Course they did! There's a Roadster Brabus too!

And Brabus made a concept Roadster with 2 engines bolted together. I believe it was featured on Top Gear before. Then again, Brabus will do anything to a Merc/Smart provided you can pay for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

I have a roadster coupe brabus, and my insurance is only around €500.

The brabus roadster is only 100bhp tho'

Fletch, do you know somebody with one or did you test drive it in a garage?

Are there any smart dealerships in the Dublin are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

mloc123 wrote:
    The brabus roadster is only 100bhp tho'

Fletch, do you know somebody with one or did you test drive it in a garage?

Are there any smart dealerships in the Dublin are?
    Yes there is a smart dealership beside Europa mazda in Blackrock....I know a guy who works in a garage and had one home for a while so I got a drive of it

Theres one dealership in Blackrock, and one in Belfast. The one in blacrock has no Brabus ForFours or Brabus roadsters, and the one in Belfast is probably too far from you. I don't particulary think the staff in blackrock are overly friendly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i'd imagine an immensly fun car, i had one for a week in northern italy, the roads were amazing, windy twisty hairpins which just looked like squiggles on the map, unbelivable scenery, first,second,first,second,third,first......

and that was in a 1.1, and i loved every minute of it lovely little car, not sure how i'd live with one over here (i drive a range rover) but twas sure fun for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Haven't Smart axed all models bar the ForTwo?

Yea, all axed bar the Fortwo. Completely new model coming out next year with a Mitsubishi engine rumored to be 700cc and a turbo-charged 1 litre. The roadsters handling is fantastic, and the 700cc is powerful enough for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I thought annesley williams at cloghran done smart cars ???
    I've seen roadsters stocked at the garage a few times ,along with mercedes sl's

Frank Hogan apparently has the franchise for limerick but does nothing with it. What money can buy you eh!!!!

Annesley Williams used to sell smarts before smart built the showroom in Blackrock. The dealership in Limerick won't be happening, either.

• Advertisement

What do you think Frank Hogan should be doing?

colm_mcm wrote:
    What do you think Frank Hogan should be doing?

Stocking 3 or 4 of the things for a start and advertising as well.

Pat keogh is doing very well out of a market I like to call "little miss rich kid" whose daddy buys her a Mini Cooper for her 17th. Not so much a privelage afforded to "litlle sir rich guy"

Would the Roadster be seen as a woman or mans car?

I hear MG are going to make the Roadster from now on.

Always wondered if people would buy in to the whole Smart thing. thought the ForFour wasn't nearly clever enough, and that the Roadster was massively overpriced at around €32k for a decent one when for another 2 grand you'd gwet an MX-5. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a Limerick buyer may well be more conservative than a Dublin one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Maybe he's still licking his wounds from his last little tussle in Limerick:D but that aside its not a franchise that I'd be too eager to put cash into myself, especially post block exemption.

Maybe he's still licking his wounds from his last little tussle in Limerick:D but that aside its not a franchise that I'd be too eager to put cash into myself, especially post block exemption.

I don't think Mazda suited the VAG & Merc profile on the lot. He's putting a lot of money into new Audi and VW showrooms, has knocked the pumps and shop, so I think a small showroom for smart wouldn't be out of the way.

It's a contender to the mini, Audi A2, A-Class and if marketed right could fly. Lexus is now taking a hold in Limerick so I don't see why somebody else should be stopped from doing Smart because someone has the franchise and is doing nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mloc123 wrote:
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=426477

0-60 in 6.57 and 0-100 in 17.95..... Thats pretty impressive.

its 20grand....wtf.
    who in their right mind would pay 20k for a toy car????

You'll find that's a real normal sized car.

its 20grand....wtf.
    who in their right mind would pay 20k for a toy car????

Not you again :(

Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Children, like assholes everyone has an opinion.

Mike.

Advertisement