Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant for wedding reception in Galway?

Options
  • 28-08-2006 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I am having a wedding in Galway next summer and would like to rent out a small restaurant to have the dinner, music, and dancing in Galway City. Any suggestions?

Something elegant and small would be perfect, but eclectic can work too for a semi formal wedding. It will be for about 20-30 people, as I am from the US and most of my guest will be too.

I look foward to your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The dancing makes things a bit tricky as you need space for that.
    I have suggested An Pucan function room before and perhaps that would suit again. Give them a ring/mail and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

Thanks for the tip biko. This is a possiblity, though I have imagined something more feminine--elegant--for a semi-formal dining. But the possibilities are still open since I'm in the early stages of planning and will soon be in Ireland to check things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Top floor oF Busker Brownes or Kirbys is all I can come up with, but that's taking Bikos good point into account about the dancing. Both would be very informal, and I don't think you'd be robbed getting either of them.

Come to think of it, what about "The Library" in Bodkins Bar (KingsValley Hotel) in Doughiska (beside Galway Crystal)? Their food's not bad, it can be closed to the public, there's a dancefloor and DJ box, and there's a full bar.

Thanks Fey. I'll keep these places in mind too.

But I do have something more formal than a bar in mind, if anyone knows of another place.

A tea room or house that serves dinner perhaps that's in the city centre or within walking dinstance.

I would this type of small restaurant atmosphere with a fireplace too, if possible.

I might be dreaming, but if this type of place exists in Galway or something similar, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

monroes

• Advertisement

I read that Monroes is very touristy and is a pizza and beer place. Thanks, but I'm looking for something to hold a semi-formal wedding dinner in.

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Maybe The Malt House , Vina Mara is really good too.

We are having the night before dinner at the Malt House, I'll have to see about Vina Mara. Thanks. Other suggestions welcome.

I was just looking at a list of Galway city (and just outside the city) restaurants. A few caught my eye, as it seems they might have the food/ambiance I'm looking for.

If anyone has heard or had a first-hand experience with the following, do tell:

Drimcong House (I have heard this mentioned as being in Moycullen, modern-Irish food, and the best restaurant in Ireland)

Archway Restaurant (nice setting, menus look good)

• Advertisement

no one's heard of these places? Have you heard of The Schoolhouse Restaurant? Or any others of similar ambiance to those places listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I hear the schoolhouse is very good, food excellent, I haven't been myself but a friend reccommended it to me before, haven't made it out there yet though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Spanish Arch Hotel in Quay street are very good at off peak times, eg not on Saturday night and so is McSwiggins .

They partition off part of their space for the gig and you can get a 'door' person yourself if you want.

Then you have loads of space for an instant afters once the food and speeches bit is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

what about moycullen house? its run by a couple who use the ground floor as a restaurant. its absolutely gorgous. ben there for sunday lunch a few times. its not like your typical restaurant. for example the lunch starts at a particular time say 1pm and when you arrive you can sit in living room with blazing fires and have a drink. when everyone has arrived you are seated. the cuttlery and dishes are all antique and the food is delish!! its a real old irish antiquey house. i think they do the same set up for evening dinner aswell. i dont know bout the music and dancing tho. you have to book in advnce but if your wedding is not til next summer im sure you could book the place to have it to yerselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the midges are BRUTAL at that place and was it not (being) sold recently ??

It looks like Moycullen is ruled out? I have seen the website and just recently heard the same thing myself.

ya i didnt realise that sorry. was out there yesterday for sunday lunch with the parents n saw the for sale signs. will more than likely be sold by time your wedding comes round and who can say that it will be kept on as a restaurant. Pity tho cos it is fantastic!! the beef salad for starters is delish! making myself hungry here thinkn bout it hehe
    another thing i noticed is how small the loos are! duno how they got away with them! the individual handtowels are cool tho, very hygenic

Thanks for confirming that fifi and sponge bob. It looks like it would have been a nice place. The search continues!--any other ideas are appreciated.

I just found out about Ard Bia cafe/restaurant through their online site today. Has anyone heard of this place, or better yet eaten there? It looks like it might be a good place for a wedding dinner.

And/or, have you heard of the Archway Restaurant?

Thanks for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Cloghan House in Craughwell/Loughrea area or St Clerans Manor House are absolutley stunning for weddings how ever may be a lil bit expensive. A lot of hotels in the city have smaller confernce/function rooms so u could check them out, Harbour Hotel, Westwood House Hotel. I know that the G hotel can cater for a maxium of 80 people. so that could be kinda whacky!! Havent been to Ard Bia but heard from punters thats its great for dinner. Best of luck with your search, and CONGRATS!!

• Advertisement

Thanks galwaygirleen. I have looked into some of the places you have mentioned like St Clarens and the G Hotel, but I'm looking for something a bit cozier, though elegant since it will be a guest list of 20-30. I want to stay away from hotel-type receptions, going for something more personal...I like the idea of manor houses or guest houses though....just not as dear as St. Clarens. That's why I'm thinking a restaurant like Ard Bia or the Archway Restaurant might be a good place for dinner, music, and dancing....but I would have to be able to rent one of these places for the night because of this.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as I hope to go to Galway in a week or two to investigate places further.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Cloonacauneen Castle is supposedly very good for small weddings. Not sure what the price is but it's convienient for galway city. Located close to Claregalway

http://www.clooncastle.com/

oh ya duno why i never thought of that place n its only down the road from me too hehe. had my confirmation there years ago. was nice cos was just my family there. been to few 21st etc there too and they were all lovely. dont think its too expensive to hire out for day. know back in the day it had a restaurant but im not sure now if you'll require caterers. nice area outside too for those beautiful wedding pics!!

oh wow! just been looking at the website for it there....its gone up in standards since...the place looks fab! and the wedding menu...im getting hungry looking at it! hehe

I'll have to take a look at this place. Thanks for the suggestion. Others welcome.

Advertisement