Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Null Hypothesis - Yay or Nay ?

• 28-08-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Null Hypothesis - Yay or Nay ?

Is this a safe barometer to use in experiments. To side with a null hypothesis or actual results? Seems off to me but in practice (very little really) it seems effective.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Jelmpsych

Take a closer look at your stats (P values and degree's of power / alpha), they dictate your yay or nay.

Regards from another baldycoot

Jerry
    DWOP-PSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Definitely the null hypothesis can be useful for where you have a strong idea of what outcome you expect or if you need substantial between group differences. But like you say you can end up on the borderline of whether or not you can safely reject it. I think a combination of hypotheses and qualitative description can be perfect for more modest results or inconsistent findings. You see that alot in some of the work on dyslexia at the moment. You could also use a general research question instead if your not sure what you'll find. So long as you define it accurately its just as scientific.

Wow, I actually feel dull now.

Advertisement