Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for a PHD

Options
  • 28-08-2006 1:15am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what options there are in ireland to do a PHD part time, assuming that a masters degree was in place does anyone know where to get info on this subject.
    Is it possible to do one while you are still in work?
    Are there part time / distance options ?
    The UK open uni were starting one , but there was a waiting list etc
    Would getting another degree help your options?

Any info would be appreciated, I'm only toying with the idea, and I dont have my masters yet, but it would be great if there was an option where one could study for one and still work, I understand that there would be alot of work involved etc. it's still no harm in knowing your options.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dargan

Stoner wrote:
    I was wondering what options there are in ireland to do a PHD part time, assuming that a masters degree was in place does anyone know where to get info on this subject.
    Is it possible to do one while you are still in work?

Hi Stoner, what subject area are you interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Also, what location are you interested in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for the response,

electrical/control engineering Kevin Street is my background,
    I also a Bscit in OSCAIL
    and am currently doing an Msc in internet systems with oscail, the last exam in next Monday and I have a project to do etc that will take 6 months.

thats my background, the Oscail text has a lot of psychology associated with it, real life relationships vs virtual ones etc. I'm interested in these areas.

I'm based in Dublin and I am not in a position to miss work for this, I know you only get what you put in , but there maybe some options.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This is something you would need to research quite a bit first. DIT have some information here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks smashy, that information seems to be about Master degrees, I hope to have one very soon etc and was looking for options after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do a search around here, there have been numerous threads on this very subject. I have contributed to a few, so here is a summarisation of what I have posted before:

Firstly, it is quite possible to do a PhD while you are working. I know a few poeple doing it. Ideally you would be working in a field you are researching for your PhD.

Secondly, do you know any of the tutors in Oscail that have a PhD? If so, that is the best starting point - someone with a PhD. When I was finished my Masters, my project supervisor was only too eager to offer me advice and get me thinking about doing one. He even offered to supervise my PhD for me.

You can do them in pretty much any college in the country, including Institutes of Technology (not a lot of people know this). In an IT, you generally register for a new Masters, finish that and then carry on to the PhD. The idea being that if you pull out, at least you leave with something. Also, it could take up to 7 years part time. :eek:

thanks for the advice,

I dont know any of the guys in Oscail, its a distance education masters and you send them in 3 projects in one year so contact in minimal. I'll look around, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I know, I did my degree with them :)

But will you have a project supervisor (for the big, 6 month project)? This person could be a start.

that's ture there will be someone for the 6 month project good point. I also did a degree with oscail and the contact was not great, but this moodle thing they have for the masters is even worse. However I am thankful to them for providing me with the chance to do it, I had some health problems during my study and they were understanding. Like I said to some of the others , approach it as if your on your own, then you wont be dissappointed lol, any help you get is a bonus.

Advertisement