Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help from soldiers/ex-soldiers

• 28-08-2006 4:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I'm really considering joining the army, I'm 20, just finished college and I'd like to join. My degree isn't high enough for cadets (it's level 7) but I think I'd prefer just going in as a private anyway. Anyone know if there are like open days or somewhere you can call into talk about it with them? Also, the army are fine with tattoos right?
    Maybe someone might like to share with me how and why they joined.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can't help with the others, but the how and why is easy enough.

Why: Got talked into it. Seemed cool to run around with a rifle and shoot things. About the same reason I got into the US military, as it happens. "Heh! Tank! Heh heh.. cool.. tank.. boom.."

How:

Joining up was simplicity itself. I looked up the White Pages, and called the Defense Forces HQ. The conversation went something as follows:

"Defense Forces HQ, Public Affairs Office. Captain O'Mahoney"

"Hello? I'd like to inquire about joining the FCA"

"OK.. Where are you?"

"Clonskeagh, South Dublin"

"How does Cathal Brugha, Rathmines, work for you?"

"That works fine"

"So, what unit do you want to join?"

"Umm.. Well, what have you got?"

"How about Medics. Do you want to be a medic?" (I guess they were short on medics at the time)

"Hmmm.. Ermm....." (Not too convinced)

"Well, do you want to save people or shoot them?"

"Shoot, please"

"Right.. turn up on Thursday and report into 20th Infantry Battalion..."

(I subsequently went cavalry)

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Right thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

BTW I don't think you need a level 8 degree for cadets, I think it's just worth a good few extra percent in the selection process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

The Irish Army boyo's are riddled with tattoo's!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

Sean7 wrote:

I joined the RDF out of admiration as i wanted to do something to benefit me and wear the Uniform, meet new friends, gain experience, have pride and confidence in myself and the IDF and do some cool stuff! Am in it 6+ years now in a Support Coy ( Mainly GPMG ) and loving every minute of it from the moment i put on The Uniform to even just seeing the Tricolour on the shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is the OP not talking about joining the PDF? As opposed to the RDF?

Maybe I've misunderstood :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Sean7 wrote:
    I'm really considering joining the army, I'm 20, just finished college and I'd like to join. My degree isn't high enough for cadets (it's level 7) but I think I'd prefer just going in as a private anyway. Anyone know if there are like open days or somewhere you can call into talk about it with them? Also, the army are fine with tattoos right?

You dont need a degree for a Cadetship, 17/18 year old schoolleavers make up almost 2/3 of every Cadet class although a level 8 qualification will give you points bonus in the selection process.

The next Cadetship competition will not start until next Febuary approx.

Open days are held in the RDS at the careers fair in the new year. Although schools and colleges can arrange a representative to visit for a talk

Consider joining the RDF

Watch the national press for recruitment advertisements.

Tattoos are fine as long as it is not a swastika on your forehead

Go to military.ie for all your answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

the only tatoos to worry about are secterian ones they are recruiting at the moment so apply straight away walk up to a barracks gate and ask they will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

OK, so where's the barracks to go for the eastern brigade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

Cathal Brugha Bks, Rathmines or McKee Bks, Phoenix Pk are both quite near the city centre.

You'll get far more complete help from www.irishmilitaryonline.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

If you want to screw around for 5 years with the odd bit of training then join the PDF.

If you just want a taste of the military life and want to make your civvie life a bit more interesting then join the RDF.

Overall, i'd recomend joining the RDF first before anything just to have a vague idea of what its like in the defence forces. (RDF is no comparison to the PDF but it gives you an idea atleast without the commitment, you can leave the RDF at any time really)

komsomol wrote:
    If you want to screw around for 5 years with the odd bit of training then join the PDF.

If you just want a taste of the military life and want to make your civvie life a bit more interesting then join the RDF.

Overall, i'd recomend joining the RDF first before anything just to have a vague idea of what its like in the defence forces. (RDF is no comparison to the PDF but it gives you an idea atleast without the commitment, you can leave the RDF at any time really)

How long have you been in the PDF or are you talking through your ar5e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

muletide wrote:
    Open days are held in the RDS at the careers fair in the new year. Although schools and colleges can arrange a representative to visit for a talk
    Do the RDF, and then the PDF in Feb. Dunno, but I think if you pass some grade in the RDF, you can skip the 1st year in the PDF. Dunno if they still do this, tho. Did 3 months in the barracks on Blackhorse Avenue, but had to stop as I failed the medical (hearing). Knew I was gonna fail (I wear 'aids), but the place was a dream come true, so I kept at it untill I could go no more. Meh, maybe the Foreign Legion at 37, eh?

I'd join the PDF at the drop of a hat, tbh, if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

the_syco wrote:
    Dunno, but I think if you pass some grade in the RDF, you can skip the 1st year in the PDF. Dunno if they still do this, tho.

This isn't the case, and I'm not aware of it ever being so.

The closest thing to this I can think of was the call up of FCA in the border area during the seventies, some ended up staying on full time & got the nick name 'lucky bags'.

the_syco wrote:
    Do the RDF, and then the PDF in Feb. Dunno, but I think if you pass some grade in the RDF, you can skip the 1st year in the PDF. Dunno if they still do this, tho. Did 3 months in the barracks on Blackhorse Avenue, but had to stop as I failed the medical (hearing). Knew I was gonna fail (I wear 'aids), but the place was a dream come true, so I kept at it untill I could go no more. Meh, maybe the Foreign Legion at 37, eh?

I'd join the PDF at the drop of a hat, tbh, if possible.

It is NOT possible to skip any of the basic PDF training. Unless you are going down the direct entry route used by qualified Doctors /Dentists /Engineers/Pharmacists.

RDF training counts for nothing once you join the PDF

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

muletide wrote:

This is true,in fact if you join the PDF and your were in the RDF don't mention it to your PDF NCOs,a little tip for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Sean7 wrote:

Your Leaving Cert is all you need for the cadets. Look up military.ie for recruiting centres. Ring them for an application form, fill it out and send it back. The wheels will then start turning. Meanwhile join the RDF for the experience and the fun. Tattoos are fine within reason. You can apply for the cadets as a Private by the way.

I'm just coming up on 21 years and only regretted it twice. The first time was when I got bottled by my platoon sgt for not wearing a tie on Limerick prison guard. The second time I was freezing my balls off in the Glen of Imaal on an ambush exercise at 3am on a mild November morning.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

muletide wrote:

Untrue. I did 7 years in the FCA before joining the PDF and it was a great advantage to me. I still had to do all the training but I had a head start on those who had no experience.
    Dub13 wrote:
    This is true,in fact if you join the PDF and your were in the RDF don't mention it to your PDF NCOs,a little tip for you.

Obviously you know some inadequate NCOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

i'd have to agree with Dub13. The RDF is as popular with the PDF as the Garda Reserve is with full-time Gardai !!!
    Any training you recieve with the RDF will prove beneficial if / when joining the PDF but let them think you're a fast learner as opposed to having previous experience !

Mick86 wrote:
    Untrue. I did 7 years in the FCA before joining the PDF and it was a great advantage to me. I still had to do all the training but I had a head start on those who had no experience.
    QUOTE]

RDF training counts for nothing when you join the PDF all it does is give people a taste for the Army.

The majority of time is spent getting rid of bad habits/ideas/attitudes that the recruit learned in the RDF

• Advertisement
Advertisement