Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GTA set in the future?

• 28-08-2006 5:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

I think they're gonna have to do it eventually.
    They've done the 2000's, 90's, 80's (and whenever GTA:London was set)... so what's left?

I could see them doing the 60's or 70's ... maybe you could play as the godfather of the Leone family when he was just a mere goodfella... though the cars would probably have to be a bit crap. :/

The future would be cool... hover-cars, futuristic weapons, the potential for jokes (ala Futurama).

tbh I like the whole 'set in x decade' gimmick they have going on... but still, I've nothing against the whole 'GTA:<Placename> Stories' idea they're doing either.
    I wonder have we seen the last of new time shifts in the GTA series. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

The only real decade they haven't done which could really be done (without serious limits on gameplay) is the 70s. The two London spinoffs of GTA1 were in '69 and '61. I think the next GTAs will be set in the present day, maybe a near-future type scenario à la GTA2 could work as well though that poses its own difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

The only real decade they haven't done which could really be done (without serious limits on gameplay) is the 70s. The two London spinoffs of GTA1 were in '69 and '61. I think the next GTAs will be set in the present day, maybe a near-future type scenario à la GTA2 could work as well though that poses its own difficulties.

I didn't know there were two london spinoffs? I thought there was only the one. Was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I hope they do GTA London in 3d and then GTA 2 in 3D as that would be v.cool

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

A GTA in the future would be a dumb idea. Whatever realism thats left in it, would just be totally lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye. Maybe in an American Police State, with lots of cops everywhere. At the moment, its easy to loose the cops, but imagine trying to do some of the sh|t from GTA:SA with about 3 times the amount of cops?

Also, with hte increase of cops, also an increase of gangs. 3 or so different gangs (think GTA2), very violent, and you're just a merc, or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

there was only one GTA: London i recall...

as for GTA: Future. i'd love it. GTA2 was set in the future... why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

I didn't know there were two london spinoffs? I thought there was only the one. Was it any good?
    I didn't play it or see it myself but I heard about it in other forums, it was just a PC mission pack I think.

It is according to wikipedia anyway

I think anything beyond the near future in a gta game would be too much of a change in direction, it just wouldn't feel like GTA. I wouldn't mind a GTA2 remake, but maybe hovercars would be another step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I didn't play it or see it myself but I heard about it in other forums, it was just a PC mission pack I think.

It is according to wikipedia anyway

I think anything beyond the near future in a gta game would be too much of a change in direction, it just wouldn't feel like GTA. I wouldn't mind a GTA2 remake, but maybe hovercars would be another step too far.

Agreed, stick with what is winning right now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A sixties GTA would be cool, that was the era of the American muscle car, Vietnam, hippies (I can foresee some fun missions there) and some great music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i'd like to see London made into it though :) I can tell the lads at Rockstar can add a lot of humour into that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Stephen wrote:
    hippies (I can foresee some fun missions there) and some great music.
    Hehe yeah... I remember that San Andreas mission with the truth where you have to drive the van stoned after torching the plants.
    Didn't last very long though, and wasn't really that challenging.
    It'd be interesting to try'n do missions while your charicter is hallucinating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i think the 70s could really work, ridiculous looking pimps, cops on chips-style bikes, undercover cops looking all starsky & hutch, lots of potetial if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

i'd love to see a gta:back to the future.
    i high rise city similar to the fifth element a garage in the sky 3d maps to find your way around. it'd be class. nothing stupid like teleporting just flying cars, plasma/laser weapons, but old skool weapons would be better and would inflict more damage. you would still have proper cars to drive around desolate streets there would be deserts and vandals, a mix of the matrix/the fifth element/minority report. t'would be amazing. i should be making this game!:)

there was only one GTA: London i recall...

as for GTA: Future. i'd love it. GTA2 was set in the future... why not?
    And it was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nealmac wrote:
    And it was crap.
    it was my favourite of the top-down games. all the radio stations, taxi driving for money, gang meters, funky cars, traffic, pedestrian AI...

it was my favourite of the top-down games. all the radio stations, taxi driving for money, gang meters, funky cars, traffic, pedestrian AI...
    It was also my favourite of the aerial view versions, but thereagain I thought all of those one were crap. Plus I could never figure out how to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

Stephen wrote:
    A sixties GTA would be cool, that was the era of the American muscle car, Vietnam, hippies (I can foresee some fun missions there) and some great music.

true, i like the sound of that, but i would like one from the 20's or 30's, ye know, tommy guns, prohibition, the beginning of the Mafia....yeah the music would be dodgy but they could be creative with the weapons and cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nealmac wrote:
    It was also my favourite of the aerial view versions, but thereagain I thought all of those one were crap. Plus I could never figure out how to save.
    Jesus saves... you see the "Jesus saves" spot around, and you'd walk into the place.... to save the game. Corny, but thats how you saved the game. And I'd see how you'd get to hate the game if you couldn't save.

=-=

Flying cars would be taxing on one's rig, tho.

the_syco wrote:
    Jesus saves... you see the "Jesus saves" spot around, and you'd walk into the place.... to save the game. Corny, but thats how you saved the game. And I'd see how you'd get to hate the game if you couldn't save.

=-=

Hehe. Yeah I figured it out after a while. I didn't have an instuction manual and I was a complete GTA virgin at the time.

the_syco wrote:

=-=

So I've started playing GTA1 again. Where is this "Jesus Saves" place you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

nealmac wrote:
    So I've started playing GTA1 again. Where is this "Jesus Saves" place you speak of?

It's only in GTA2, you can't save your game in the original GTA. Only in the menu screen after you complete a city.

Now isn't that silly.

What about GTA London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

the_syco wrote:

Hated that, never could find one when I needed it, of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

I think it should be in this time era
    in a real run down area of america ,
    like tearing itself apart with drugs and crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

A 60s GTA would be good, the radio stations would be cool! Hippies, right wing religious zealots, all that, They should go back to piss-take radio stations like in GTA III - the "serious" ones that just play music are a bit boring. Don't know what Laszlow would have been doing at the time though

Advertisement