Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony, can do no wrong?

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well you can fit 1.5gb on a Gamecube disc and now Nintendo are using DVD 9s that can hold 8.5gb, so Nintendo have increased media capacity 500%

Sony have gone from 4.7gb to a possible 50gb, a 1000% increase in media capacity

And Microsoft have gone from 4.7gb to 8.8gb a 180% increase in media capacity.....

Maybe They can compress the games and the Xbox360 is fast enough to uncompress them into ram in realtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

conzymaher wrote:
    Sony have gone from 4.7gb to a possible 50gb, a 1000% increase in media capacity

And Microsoft have gone from 4.7gb to 8.8gb a 180% increase in media capacity.....
    Both were using DVD9's last gen ;) But very few games needed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i think some xbox games went over 4.7gb but it was mostly audio and cut scenes etc.

I think that a big benefit of the blu-ray disc size would be the ability to fit all localised versions of a game onto one disc and thus allow for global launches, meaning europe should no longer be the poor cousin when it comes to quality game releases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I think that a big benefit of the blu-ray disc size would be the ability to fit all localised versions of a game onto one disc and thus allow for global launches, meaning europe should no longer be the poor cousin when it comes to quality game releases
    I just can't see it happening TBH. Pretty much all the delay is cause the devs need to localise the game, not cause they need to be repressed/distributed. So why delay a release of the America version to get the european version out at the same time. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I just can't see it happening TBH. Pretty much all the delay is cause the devs need to localise the game, not cause they need to be repressed/distributed. So why delay a release of the America version to get the european version out at the same time. :confused:

Some games can be localised simultaneously, some can't. It'll depend on the publisher and the game. But the option for a global SKU is there if they want it. Sony is doing it themselves with Resistance, for one, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

conzymaher wrote:
    lol^

HD-DVD films will be riddled with DRM, so when the prices even out a bit, wont the PS3 and its Blu-ray drive be superior?

Where did you hear that? blu-ray mirrors hd-dvd's anti piracy techniques (Advanced Access Content System ) and then adds more on top. They have a dynamic encryption technique in there which means if at some stage it get hacked, they can upgrade the encryption mechanisn to prevent the hack. This was one reason they couldn't come to a single disc standard, because Sony wanted to add more anti piracy to their format.

Anti-Piracy Measures

BD players will enable a customer to copy movies to systems that support the new "Mandatory Managed Copy" (MMC) system. It is not possible to play a BD and record the output on another typical device like a VCR, instead, the video output of BD can only be received by electronic devices that adhere to regulations aimed at stemming piracy. As long as your recording device supports the copy protection mechanism required by the BD standard, you will be able to legally make copies of your BD. Piracy is a serious threat to businesses the produce digital content, and Blu-Ray enables a copyright owner to protect content with MMC, making BDs favorable over DVDs, which have no copy management or support for encryptions. The MMC approach has precedent: Apple allows customers to purchase music on its iTunes store in the Apple Audio Content (AAC) format. An iTunes customer can place their purchased songs on her iPod or other devices supporting AAC, but can not copy a song to any machine or device of her choice. iTunes has sold over 1 billion songs, proving that customers will buy media that is protected by anti-piracy systems. The MMC copy management scheme, if widely adopted, will provide the flexibility a consumer needs to make copies under fair use laws, and stymie the illegal copying practices that are now rampant in China and India. Additional copy protection lies in a novel, dynamic encryption system.

BD systems will accept and play discs with encryption techniques that can vary per disc; thus, hackers who break the encryption system on one disc will not be able to decrypt data on other discs with different encryption systems and read content in an unauthorized manner. Even different discs of the same movie or software may have different encryption mechanisms. The "dynamic" nature of BD data protection unique among the digital content protection systems that are being widely adopted, and should help content providers stay on equal footing with hackers and criminals who break encryption mechanisms in hopes of "freeing" the content from copy protection.

You can read the two wikis although at this stage I don't know how accurate wikis are these
    days
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

I won't be investing in either format for the forseeable future, maybe sometime when the ps3 drops in price.

Advertisement