Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multiroom/zoned audio

Options
  • 28-08-2006 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

looking for some help with something,

I have wired my apt with speaker cable and cat5e to all the rooms all back to a central point. now i want to get some multiroom audo going on.

the problem is the only comtroller's i can find for multiroom/zones audio are like 10k

can anyone recomend a cheap solution that will enable control of the speakers from the rooms and distrubition from a central point ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have been looking for similar for the past while. As far as I know, Apple Airport and iTunes should do the trick. I just don't want to go down that road. Have a look at this straight from apple. If you can believe their marketing, you can put an Airport Express in a few rooms. Then use iTunes to send different streams to each device. However, you will still need to hook up powered speakers or hi-fi to each AirPort Express. Pretty cool but not quite what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

what a product, thats exactly what i am looking for.

now to find a cool cheapish interface for the rooms

nope false alarm, not exactly what i am looking for

"powered speakers" i would have to put an amp between the airport and the speakers totally removing the cheapness.

back to the drawing board.

this is exactly what i am looking for but its redicliously expensive a grand a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

crowej wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I have wired my apt with speaker cable and cat5e to all the rooms all back to a central point. now i want to get some multiroom audo going on.

the problem is the only comtroller's i can find for multiroom/zones audio are like 10k

can anyone recomend a cheap solution that will enable control of the speakers from the rooms and distrubition from a central point ?

This is the one for you...http://www.russound.com/cas.htm

pm me for a price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

crowej wrote:
    nope false alarm, not exactly what i am looking for

"powered speakers" i would have to put an amp between the airport and the speakers totally removing the cheapness.

back to the drawing board.

this is exactly what i am looking for but its redicliously expensive a grand a room.

Yeah, as I said, it's not quite what I'm looking for either. However you can get a decent set of powered computer speakers and plug them in. Some of them give really good sound.

• Advertisement

my problem is that my cabling is in the ceiling and i intend to use flush mounted ceiling speakers

that russound system looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

crowej wrote:
    my problem is that my cabling is in the ceiling and i intend to use flush mounted ceiling speakers

that russound system looks good

believe me its the business and wont break the bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

JohnnieM wrote:
    believe me its the business and wont break the bank...

Humour me with a price... I may be interested in something like this in the near(ish) future

Even a vague hint at the price region.

L.

its slightly over the 2k mark for everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I like that apple idea.

I may even try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Russound do have some nice new systems - but the more feedback you want on the keypad the more expensive they become - and also they come in set zone sizes - 4 zone or 6 - after that you can marry a 4 zone with a 4 zone or a 6 zone with another 6 zone etc...

But this is the case with all systems - Nuvo, Russoun, Zon etc..

You need to take into account the cost of the speakers you are putting in as well as the Multi-room audio system - and the systems you are going to marry to it - like a CD-player, a radio (you should go for 2), or an mp3 server.

You could also add an apple iPort into the system if you are an into your iPod.

g'd luck with the system,

K

the 2400 includes

4 x pairs of speakers
    1 x 4 zone 4 source amp
    4 x keypad
    4 x infra red LED's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

crowej wrote:
    the 2400 includes

4 x pairs of speakers
    1 x 4 zone 4 source amp
    4 x keypad
    4 x infra red LED's

Interesting. Thanks very much. I will look into this further over the coming while.

L.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You might be better off for an installation like this using professional high-fidelity PA equipment.

Very high quality amplifiers from the like of Crest and QSC can be got on eBay. Marry them with a good zonal controller from Rane or Cloud and you've got a killer system for 2-channel music. Many zone controllers can be fitted with remote source select and level controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 multiroom phil

crowej wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

try speakercraft you can get it from home cinema center in dalkey 4 zones and can be upgraded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Casey711

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

I know you mentioned the Sonos earlier. I have this installed in my house with 6 separate zones and two controllers. I can tell you it is fantastic. You can get the 130 bundle for €999, which includes a controller and two zone players, one with a built in amp and another without.

If you are putting in a home cinema system you can attach the zp80 to this. In another room you can install the zp100, connected directly to speakers. For each additional room you just need a zp100 (€499) connected to speakers. With teh zp100 there is no need for additional amps or powered speakers.

The remote is fantastic and works very similar to an ipod. It allows you connect different zones so the same music is playing in some rooms while no music is in others.

Each zone can be connected by cat 5 or wirelessly. You just need to connect your PC at one point so all your MP3's can be streamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Each zone can be connected by cat 5 or wirelessly. You just need to connect your PC at one point so all your MP3's can be streamed.

Alternatively you can use a networked attached storage device (NAS) 250Gb version for under 200 euro.
    This eliminates the need to have any of the boxes connected to your PC (or even have it switched on) and gives you more flexibility in where you place the boxes.
    Buffalo link station I find work extremely well with Sonos.
    One NAS connected to your first zone player then gives you access to all your music from any room.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

try speakercraft you can get it from home cinema center in dalkey 4 zones and can be upgraded

Multiroomphil - Any idea of price on this system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 multiroom phil

foxirl wrote: »
    Multiroomphil - Any idea of price on this system

from about €2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I have the amp and speakers installed. but I can't find anywhere that does these A-Bus keypads?

Anyone any ideas? The system is a russound AH-484 - wasn't looking to go overboard on the cost, surely they shouldn't be more than 50-60euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Andy454 wrote: »
    I have the amp and speakers installed. but I can't find anywhere that does these A-Bus keypads?

Anyone any ideas? The system is a russound AH-484 - wasn't looking to go overboard on the cost, surely they shouldn't be more than 50-60euro?

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately the system (Abus) that you have is based around a central hub with no amplification built in. The amplifiers are built onto the back of each keypad. As a result the keypads are a good bit more expensive than you might think. €200RRP each keypad and are available in US and European versions depending on what back box you have (if any) already in place in the wall.
    You may also need the Russound A-PS power supply for the central hub (AH-484) and if so then it is €160.
    Do you have the learning remote already?
    The prices seem expensive and on their own they are.
    It is considerably cheaper to buy the entire 4/8 zone system as a package rather than individual pieces.
    Let me know if you need any more help with the system.

Cheers,

Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭sundodger5

i went for an opus octopus 4 zone system. also went for the video.
    works well

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Homer wrote: »
    Alternatively you can use a networked attached storage device (NAS) 250Gb version for under 200 euro.
    This eliminates the need to have any of the boxes connected to your PC (or even have it switched on) and gives you more flexibility in where you place the boxes.
    Buffalo link station I find work extremely well with Sonos.
    One NAS connected to your first zone player then gives you access to all your music from any room.
    This sounds good...I have house pre-wired with Cat 5 back to a central hub for 4 zones+1sub zone. Plates for keypads also. Can any keypad select music directly to the NAS. No need for iPod docs with the NAS also I assume. What about movies on the NAS and pulling them up from a TV (also back to same hub)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Got it online a friend recommended a company thats done installs for years was doing an all inclusive system with touch screens that was really easy to self install

<Snip>
    !BcZjhnQCGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEq5FvmbtNBK0YnNIong~~_12.JPG

Price for a centralised hub with DVD, CD, MP3, Tuner, Aux function, all the speakers and control pads, remote etc was €2500. I have used the octopus and the russound incognito before and in my opinion this was streets ahead, the integrated amp is superb!

Easy as hell to conect up to, just connect four cables from the cat5 strand at each end, couldn't be easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 AV Carlow

<SNIP>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement