Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Top for a Marathon

Options
  • 28-08-2006 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

Im doing my first marathon in October, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what kind of top I should wear?

I've been doing all my training in sleevless tops, so I'd like to continue with that. However, I have both cotton and synthetic ones. Any advice on which is better, or are they about the same? Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

No Substitute for your Club colours!!

I'll be wearing my singlet with pride.

But in all seriousness, two things.

First,
    DON'T wear cotton.
    Its not suitable for a long run, especially if its wet and windy.

Second,
    Whatever you wear, make sure you have given it a try out in a long training run. You need to know how it will hold up, and how it will feel after 20 miles. This applies to all gear you wear on the day.

I'd go with the synthetic top. Is is a technical top? Does it have wicking ability [draws the sweat away from your body, this is where cotton falls down]

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there...

Thanks for the advice! I've not got a sleeveless version of my club colours unfortunately! And the cotton top I have actually has some features to help you keep moisture away ( it's some sort of Nike top ). Just don't know if it's as good as the synthetic ones.

Either way, you're right, I'l be trying out a few different things in my longer runs. Tried the cotton one for the 10 miles race, and I'll try a synthetic one for my next half-marathon. So much comes down to conditions, especially rain!

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Wear whatever is comfortable and you're used to. There is a lot of talk about flat fold seams, wicking abilties and so on but at the end of teh day it's what is inside the top thats important.

(I did Dublin last year in lashing rain in a freebie cotton charity T and didn't suffer and just did Longford with a PB by 15 min in a long sleeved cotton top)

Advertisement