Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning After Pill

• 28-08-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice from experience, tested a condom to its limits yesterday and it failed :-( so my girlfriend is off to a clinic this morning for the emergency pill. Shes obviously more than a little bit concerned so I was hoping I could get some feedback from others who have used this to put her mind at rest?

p.s. I'm not looking for advice about getting on the pill or anything like that thanks, its all in the pipeline, just comments specifically on the morning after pill please :-)

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I have yet to hear of them not working to be honest although they say it can happen.

i wouldnt worry, if she gets it today it has a good chance, the longer you wait the less effective they are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think some people have problems with illness, sore stomach etc. when taking em, so its important to break through the nausea, this is normal, just ask the doctor to fully explain the full repercussions of taking the pill, and what physical effects you can expect in the next 2 to days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've a few friends who've used it, they've all said it's not the most pleasant experience they've ever had but it worked fine, she went for it quickly so that's a good thing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

I used it a bunch in college and everything was fine. I never felt ill or had any bad side effects at all. Since she is getting it this morning, I don't think you have any reason to worry. I'm sure everything is going to be okay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Dont want to be putting a damper on here, but as a grandfather, I can tell you it does not always work:)
    As pointed out elsewhere, taking it ASAP is very important.

However what is also important is where the gf is in the 28 day cycle (of life.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

i have taken it once and it worked for me but it was such an unpleasant experience, i never want to repeat it. earlier the better and hats off to you for being careful and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

The sooner after the event that you take it, the better. Very important to note that should your girlfriend either vomit or have diarrhea within 12 hours of taking it, it will not be as effective. Also, I'd question why the condom "failed". In what way did you test it to it's limits?(;) ) In what way did it fail?Did you put it on properly? Was she lubricated enough? MAP is only an emergency measure and shouldn't be relied upon regularly as a contraceptive. Don't worry about taking it though. You've shown yourselves to be responsible. Make sure to give her some money for her consultation this morning too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hate to burst your bubble, but a close friend of mine took the morning after pill last November after a one night stand. It didn't work, and she ended up having a termination in the UK.

The sooner you take it the better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I used it a bunch in college

You must be so proud...

Anyway, yeah OP once it's taken with 72 hours everything will be hunky dory, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be thankful you did the smart thing and tested the condon after, that one little thing may have saved you a pretty big burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

well done op, at least you are looking for advice to help her. i had to take it once or twice myself, out of pure stupidity, and no its not a nice experience, best thing for you is just be there if she needs ya and offer a shoulder, if she doesnt want to talk to you or anything leave her be, it can be a very scary time for any girl. its been said already the sooner the better to talk it.

well done, some guys could learn from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies guys (and for managing most of you not to advise on surrounding issues as requested.... ;-)

All is sorted for now, she managed to get the pill for free at a youth clinic, was in a bad state for a few hours in the afternoon, but was out walking around and munching again last night...tough cookie! I'll pass on the positive comments, which should give her some peace of mind until her next period :-)

Feel free to close the thread mod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

LundiMardi wrote:
    You must be so proud...

Who the hell are you to judge? You don't know anything about me and while I was just trying to reassure the poster, you have to be a prick. I have no problem with the fact that I took it multiple times and you shouldn't care enough to comment about it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fair ****s to you cherry, Lundi, get out of your ivory tower.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LundiMardi wrote:
    You must be so proud...

You've been posting in here long enough to know better Lundi.

Thread closed upon request.
    B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement