Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick, this board, and impatience

Options
  • 28-08-2006 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that every project commented on, predicted etc, for this city has to be finished within 6 months before people start getting negative and doubtful? People seem to think that buildings, plans, sites, applications, etc can all be taken care of with one phone call.

It's as if, after waiting 20 years to turn this city around, people want it to be finished (if only it were possible) in 6 months. People want things to be happening it seems at the speed of light.

I've always maintained a somewhat different view, thinking that Limerick's change will have to be one of babysteps as each project slowly moves to fruitition. For example, the Opera centre will go ahead, a reduced Coonagh Cross will go ahead and eventually a redeveloped docks will go ahead, in time Liddy Street and Arthur's Quay will probably be torn down. We know there's plans to redevelop William street and O'Connell street, and we can see Bedford Row, Thomas Street, the Strand Hotel, The Park Canal, and Riverpoint all reaching completion. Anyone walking around the Cresent on O'Connell street will note the number of refurbished buildings, we've seen plans for the new Thomond (and reputedly the FAI also want to build a centre of excellance here, up by Hogan Park). Evewn Southill, one of the most ecomonically deprived areas has seen the new Qulity hotel and Aldi open (ok, neither are worldleaders, but it beats empty lots and no local employment). On archiseek there's innovative pictures of revitalised Potato Market, which will hopefully happen soon. We can see UL grow almost by the week, as is Clare Street Art College. A new Gaelcolaiste is opening new week, the redevelopment of the old Racecourse is due to kickoff, as is the construction of a new Greyhound stadium. The Shannon Tunnel has already begun construction. There's a lot going on, sure I'd like to see more new bars and clubs but even entertainment wise, we've seen the boatclub open, the Cornmarket, the new Flannery's, Harris', Bar 3 redeveloped, a new bar/cub opposite the Icon, the Groody out by UL, Storm Cinemas all open in the last few years, things are improving.

And yet rather than say, "Yes Limerick's really working on changing itself for the better" we get continual posts about whats wrong, why are things taking so long, whats the hold-up etc. People need to accept that Limerick is in the early stages of a long term plan, a plan that may not fully be realised for 15 or 20 years. When we look to Cork or Galway now, do we ever appreaciate that the hard work that helped build the festivals etc, happened 20 years ago and is still happening today. We shouldn't expect Riverfest (for example) to be one of the biggest festivals in the country next year but rather ask "How can we make it the best festival in the country 5 years for now?"

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm tired of all the impatience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Great Post!!!!:D True, very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I just read the 'new aquare for limerick' before reading this one, which pretty much backed up what you were saying before i even read what you had said, haha... great post!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah thats gas man. Its true, def in the last 3 years moreso than any other time, limerick is on the up and up.

I guess the moaning comes from blow-ins not used to a different life, or not used to no Marks and Sparks and a teeny city. (I know, I was one. 14 years ago. A blow-in not a teeny city.)
    But its looking a lot better / more stuff to do / more fun /cleaner / better built etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

'new aquare for limerick'

Just one? We dont like them quares round 'ere.
    Bubblicious me balls.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

well, all i can say is that in my opinion, that the long term plan should have been put into action a while ago as i think why some people feel impatient (which they are allowed to be) is that they see other cities in ireland are further ahead than limerick. a lot of cities (and not just irish ones..loads of places back home too) used the year 2000 as a kick start to rejuvenating the city center. the city where im from repaved the city square and pedestrian mall,built a bus station for the city buses and built a new art gallery.and all in the space of 3-4 years. not that we expect that much out of limerick so soon but i was just providing an example of what was done.

can you understand that when limerick people go to places like cork and galway, and see where their city is at in 2006, that they wonder why it seems that limerick is just getting its act together? its going to be at least 2010 until there are changes that people can see..us humans want results and we want them NOW! we're so used to getting things fast in other areas of our lives we cant quite come to accept that councils will only work so fast approving planning and whathaveyou.

i think what people want more than anything is an attractive environment to live in and a couple of supermarkets and office blocks wont bring that for some people. now that we can fly to mainland europe and the states for a lot cheaper, we are exposed to a lot more and have higher expectations maybe?

fully respect where you're coming from but it is boards.ie after all..if we cant whinge here where can we? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I SAID I WANT IT NOW!!!!

*stamps feet*

:)

I think it is more to do with the fact that all this rejuvination of the city should have been done 20 years ago and people just want to get it done now, knowing that what they build will be ten years behind the requirements of the population, whether it be a new motorway or public transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

no Marks and Sparks

I've only been waiting all my life, every minute, every hour, every day, every $$$$ year, for a M&S to arrive in Limerick so I can get a decent pair of Jeans when I need to ......

..... as it is I have to beg anyone going to Dublin or Cork or across the water to get them for me .....

But it's ok! ....... I don't mind waiting another generation or so for them to arrive .... I'm used to waiting .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

There is always Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Has anyone else noticed that every project commented on, predicted etc, for this city has to be finished within 6 months before people start getting negative and doubtful?
    Not really. I have noticed that people tend to get impatient with plans that take a long time to get started though but that's not the same thing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote:
    There is always Galway

No need to be mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

sioda wrote:
    There is always Galway

you are on thin ice boy :D

There is always Galway

I never knew there was a M&S in Galway .... :rolleyes:

I've never been up that far ...is it safe? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

We're just fed up of the rest of the country treating us as almost second class citizens!
    Limerick people tend to be very proud, and when we finally see all these good things happening to our city, I think we can be excused for feeling a little bit impatient!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

hobie wrote:
    I never knew there was a M&S in Galway .... :rolleyes:

I've never been up that far ...is it safe? ;)
    soon be a second store here.
    as for being safe, it's all relative.:D

Anyone care to explain the fascination with M&S, I mean it was a big deal 15 years ago but tbh, most Irish retailers have cuaght up with it by now, imo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Anyone care to explain the fascination with M&S, I mean it was a big deal 15 years ago but tbh, most Irish retailers have cuaght up with it by now, imo?
    totally agree, even my wife was unimpressed.

New look Mary I on way with euro m24 investment

THE refurbishment of Limerick city’s oldest third level education college is set for yet further development, due to a Department of Education allocation of 24 million euro

The money will facilitate the completion of an 11 million euro all-purpose hall, currently under construction and another three-storey building which is due for completion in 2007, and will replace prefab structures that date back to the1950s.

This new 8,348 square metre building will also include a 500-seat auditorium, a 300-seat lecture theatre, two 150 seat lecture theatres, as well as a 100-seat theatre.

College president, Peadar Cremin, the driving force behind the major refurbishment programme, said:

"Our main building was originally built for 780 students but we now have 2,500 students enrolled. For a long time we’ve looked enviously at other institutions but now our turn has come, while up to last year we didn’t have any investment in 30 years,” he said.

Designed by the award-winning Limerick architects, Murray O Laoire, who designed the pedestrian bridge at the University of Limerick, the new Mary Immaculate building will, according to Dr Cremin, be a timber and metallic style structure.

"A lot of the local residents are glad that we’re doing this as the current building is a bit of an eyesore and we’ve an awful lot of visual clutter. We hope that once given the green light by the government, we’ll have a much more attractive campus,” he concluded.

The Mary I president also said that the new development will alleviate conditions for the staff at the Students’ Union, with the inclusion of a student forum, students’ union facilities and a shop/cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I SAID I WANT IT NOW!!!!

*stamps feet*

:)

I think it is more to do with the fact that all this rejuvination of the city should have been done 20 years ago and people just want to get it done now, knowing that what they build will be ten years behind the requirements of the population, whether it be a new motorway or public transport system.

Does anyone remember Limerick 20 years ago? We were so poor that they used to do collections for us in Africa!!!
    Seriously though, the city was really in the depths of very high unemployment and no investment (think before Dell:eek: ). People barely had money to get by and wards in the Regional Hospital were being closed by the new time so if public money had been put into lovely buildings and parks there would have been a riot.
    I'm delighted things are moving now and can already see improvements in Limericks peoples attitudes to the city. Now if only we could get the city centre shops dolled up then we'd be gorgeous altogether.;)

Crea wrote:
    Does anyone remember Limerick 20 years ago? We were so poor that they used to do collections for us in Africa!!!
    Seriously though, the city was really in the depths of very high unemployment and no investment (think before Dell:eek: ). People barely had money to get by and wards in the Regional Hospital were being closed by the new time so if public money had been put into lovely buildings and parks there would have been a riot.
    I'm delighted things are moving now and can already see improvements in Limericks peoples attitudes to the city. Now if only we could get the city centre shops dolled up then we'd be gorgeous altogether.;)

Very true, people really don't remember just how bad Ireland was, not just Limerick. Limerick and Cork are suffering becuse both have huge estates where social problems became ingrained, Galway never had that becuase so much of Galway's increase in population has occurred since the boom. We're discussing generations of poverty that we're trying to undo in 10 years, as though it's that easy.

Anyone care to explain the fascination with M&S

yep :p ......

M&S Jeans ...... they are not cheap but, they have a super "stretch material" option .... a nice fit .... and they last forever (well a long time anyway) .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Why do a huge proportion of threads on this board start off or end up talking about shops or shopping centres?

I don't mean to bitch. I'm a blow-in in Limerick, but I've lived here for 6 years and I genuinely like the place. I don't see more retailers being the answer to this city's problems - all these ring road retail parks add nothing to the Limericks character and, for me at least, they don't hold any attraction.

The rejuventation work needs to start in the city centre: businesses need to give their premises a lick of paint at the very least. On O'Connell St and William St in particular the upper floors of most premises are a huge eyesore. There needs to be a lot more artwork (vandal proof, of course) in the public spaces around the place.

Why do a huge proportion of threads on this board start off or end up talking about shops or shopping centres?

From my experience, because just a few years ago there were hardly any decent stores in and around Limerick and apart from little choice, prices were crazy compared to those of today ....

Todds .... Cannocks .... Woolies .... Newsons .... Spaights .... Shaws .... Shannon furniture(God bless them :) ) and that was just about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

I really dont get this argument that Galway & Cork are further down the road than us!, certainly not Galway anyway,(dont get me wrong i actually like Galway) but is this just based on the fact that eyre square has been completed? (nearly 2 years late i might add) Galway has been a bit of a mess the last few times i've been up there, some of the newer developments are of a dissapointing quality somewhat ruining the medieval character of the city, i mean whats the fascination with copper cladding up in the city of the tribes?:confused: You must also remember that Galway city centre is much smaller and more compact than Limericks. I would challenge anyone who says thats theres more developments happening in Galway!

As for Cork, fair enough they're way ahead in their street renewal programme, the re-paving works on Patricks Street and Oliver Plunkett street have been completed since last summer and the Grand Parade works are nearing completion but apart from that i cant see how they are supposedly miles ahead. Large areas of the quays are still extremely run-down and shabby, Limerick is definately leading the pack in terms of riverfront developments! Many of the side streets in Cork city centre(between patrick st & south mall) are in poor nick and the cornmarket street area around the coal quay is only just getting the development that it so badly needs! Even many of the buildings especially at the western end of Patrick street are in a pretty sorry state, take a look next time(burgerking, old aer lingus travel shop etc) So as you can see Cork is still very much a work in progress!

I dont mean to run down these cities but im just being realistic!,the negative attitude of Limerick people is quite sickening at times!

As i've said before we are now regretting the catastrophc mistakes of the past 30/40 years, our main street has been destroyed by horrific planning decisions, crap like Brown thomas, penneys,burgerking, the Bank of Ireland, the royal george hotel, AIB(all prominent city centre locations) are an ugly scar on the city centre and thats not going to dissapear overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Crea wrote:

didnt atari used to be in the place were dell is now did that not bring a lot of emplyment (though i was born in 1990 so my knowledge is mostly limited to wikipedia)

anyway great post
    2 questions for the orignal post though, you said riverpoint isnt finished whats left to do?
    and the shannon tunnel has started construction, is that true i didnt think it was going to start for at least another year good news

1huge1 wrote:

2 questions for the orignal post though, you said riverpoint isnt finished whats left to do?
    and the shannon tunnel has started construction, is that true i didnt think it was going to start for at least another year good news

The building site beside Rivrpoint is part of the Riverpoint complex, think there's an 8 storey building going in.

The work has started on clearing the route for the roads etc for the tunnel, not sure if the tunnel proper has started yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Bang On! Far away fields and all that.
    O'Connel Street does need work and I can;t believe that "renovations" on Leavys shoes and
    The Texas Steak out were allowed go ahead with restoring the red brick fronts.Limerick city council should be ancouraging the restoration of the georgian buildings. Instead they are allowed put drab concrete on the front. Terrible.Leavys shoes was "renovated on the o'connel street side and not the shannon street. Limerick City Council still have a lot to answer for.

Spengman wrote:
    I really dont get this argument that Galway & Cork are further down the road than us!, certainly not Galway anyway,(dont get me wrong i actually like Galway) but is this just based on the fact that eyre square has been completed? (nearly 2 years late i might add) Galway has been a bit of a mess the last few times i've been up there, some of the newer developments are of a dissapointing quality somewhat ruining the medieval character of the city, i mean whats the fascination with copper cladding up in the city of the tribes?:confused: You must also remember that Galway city centre is much smaller and more compact than Limericks. I would challenge anyone who says thats theres more developments happening in Galway!

As for Cork, fair enough they're way ahead in their street renewal programme, the re-paving works on Patricks Street and Oliver Plunkett street have been completed since last summer and the Grand Parade works are nearing completion but apart from that i cant see how they are supposedly miles ahead. Large areas of the quays are still extremely run-down and shabby, Limerick is definately leading the pack in terms of riverfront developments! Many of the side streets in Cork city centre(between patrick st & south mall) are in poor nick and the cornmarket street area around the coal quay is only just getting the development that it so badly needs! Even many of the buildings especially at the western end of Patrick street are in a pretty sorry state, take a look next time(burgerking, old aer lingus travel shop etc) So as you can see Cork is still very much a work in progress!

I dont mean to run down these cities but im just being realistic!,the negative attitude of Limerick people is quite sickening at times!

As i've said before we are now regretting the catastrophc mistakes of the past 30/40 years, our main street has been destroyed by horrific planning decisions, crap like Brown thomas, penneys,burgerking, the Bank of Ireland, the royal george hotel, AIB(all prominent city centre locations) are an ugly scar on the city centre and thats not going to dissapear overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

vkid wrote:
    Bang On! Far away fields and all that.
    O'Connel Street does need work and I can;t believe that "renovations" on Leavys shoes and
    The Texas Steak out were allowed go ahead with restoring the red brick fronts.Limerick city council should be ancouraging the restoration of the georgian buildings. Instead they are allowed put drab concrete on the front. Terrible.Leavys shoes was "renovated on the o'connel street side and not the shannon street. Limerick City Council still have a lot to answer for.

agreed.and that horrible pebbled ash stuff which wrecks the original brick underneath..anything put on those georgian buildings is going to wreck them and it makes me mad! it is very expensive to remove properly though (you cant just get a chisel or something) so its kind of understandable why some property owners would rather leave it than face the cost. no excuse though, as most councils surely have funds to go towards minor building restorations?

Advertisement