Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea how much a publican pays for a pint?

Options
  • 28-08-2006 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I am working for a publican who used to always give staff a free pint at the end of a nights work.

He recently put a stop to this claiming he is losing a fortune giving staff a free drink so now he will only provide one on the busiest night of the week Saturday night and providing a large crowd of punters turned up.

I would love to know how he is losing a fortune by providing us with a free pint as i thought the profit margins in drink are consideable?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

not sure how much they pay for a pint exactly but I'm pretty sure that there is not that much profit in a keg of beer compared to everything else in a bar. Even at that though, your average bar will have a fair bit of waste every week from draft beers, generally when a bar manager gives out a free pint to staff these pints are just written off as waste so it is accounted for. I would imagine 5-6 pints a night every day of the week might be a little costly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Does your boss hang out tea bags on the washing line to dry as well?

He is fecking tight!

To answer your question... 1 keg = approx 80 pints
    Not too sure on the approx price of a keg though.

Anyone know keg pricing ex vat?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

keg used to be IR£120 a few years back afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Pint of guinness / smithwicks is about €1.48 + VAT
    Pint of lager is about €1.63 + VAT.

Guinness / Smithwicks are the lowest margin product in a pub. Vodka & coke is best margin especially if vodka is Huzzar. (20% cheaper than smirnoff)

Larger pubs will get discount by way of free kegs etc etc.

Despite what many people think, most publicans do not make more than a modest living out of the business. - The superpubs excepted.

I've no connection with the pub tarde (except as a customer!) but I am in general retail trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Guinness & Smithwicks €1.80 a pint, Bud €1.93, heino €1.87, all including VAT and before any brewery volume related discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

marko99 wrote:
    Guinness & Smithwicks €1.80 a pint, Bud €1.93, heino €1.87, all including VAT and before any brewery volume related discounts.

Interesting.

Recently moved back to the Mad West from Dublin after years up there.

Normally drink Heineken .... €4.50 was the norm in my local in Dublin, €3.50 in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

Access wrote:
    Does your boss hang out tea bags on the washing line to dry as well?

He is fecking tight!

To answer your question... 1 keg = approx 80 pints
    Not too sure on the approx price of a keg though.

Anyone know keg pricing ex vat?

130 euro ex vat. 88 pints in a keg

OP, the answer is 1.48 per pint that the publican actaully pays...and that's ex VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As a former bar manager,

Tell him to stick his job. He obviously has no respect for the job you do if he cannot have a pint with his staff after a shift. Disgraceful behaviour.

Advertisement