Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Flooring in the KITCHEN?

Options
  • 28-08-2006 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, wondering whether anyone has any advice/ experience on this... I would like to get a timber floor laid in our appartment, including the kitchen area. Advice I have got on this seems to be mixed... does it depend on the type of finish on the boards (American site talks about polyurethane), to make them waterproof? I'm put off by a guy in Des Kelly's and a doors and floors place telling me that its not recommended, although I know people do have timber floors in their kitchens, I've seen it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For what it is worth - I have a solid timber floor in my kitchen & have had absolutely no problems with it. Then again - I've not had any major spillages, but it is well varnished.

If it is what you want - go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

I am also considering to get a timber floor (hard wood) because our house is open plan. As far as I know the timber floor will wear quicker but I am prepared to sand it.

Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Personally I'd recommend laminate in the kitchen. Some great laminates out there nowadays.

I'd also recommend keeping the area close to the kitchen sink area (and any other water sources) tiled. Even just a row or two of tiles.

Since getting in our laminate we had a small mains leak under the kitchen sink and hey presto the laminates warped slightly. Luckily it's almost unnoticeable, but if there had of been a layer of tiles.. nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Have had french red oak in the whole house including the kitchen for 8 years and have had no problem. Obviously you have to make sure that you've no major leaks and that the floors are well varnished. Great advantage is that if you drop breakables they won't go into a 1000 pieces. Also, safe for young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

Have had semi-solid oak flooring in my kitchen with no problems at all. Great for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've got a water resistant laminate (designed for kitchens and bathrooms) in my kitchen/diner and haven't had any problems with it. It's very hard wearing and is able to withstand the heavy use of children dropping and spilling things (I'm a childminder).

It's more hard wearing than the solid and semi-solid floors in other rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

the only problem I see with wooden floors in a kitchen is if you have a major leak from say a washing machine or dishwasher...
    This is where a tiled floor is more practical and would be my preference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

We have laminates and eventually they do scratch or chip. We had it in an extension from our kitchen and a combination of a slow leak, and a skylight has had a toll on them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Timber and laminate floors are lovely, however, if you want one in your kitchen you must accept the risk of leaks which will destroy it by causing severe swelling. If there is alot of dampness in areas, you will in time have woodlice sharing the kitchen with you (they feed on rotting wood).

The decision is yours, but I wouldn't recommend it!

artieanna

Advertisement