Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic expectations?

Options
  • 28-08-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

The last week has been a depressing time for Spurs fans, 3 points from our first 9 after one great performance against a poor Sheff Utd, and two capitulations against hard-working (but far from PL challenging) sides in Bolton and Everton.

What's upset me more though has been the usual chorus of disapproval on the main Spurs fan sites (I restrict my reading to FTL and COYS), the naysayers who've been creaming themselves for a chance to say "told you so". Jol's got no tactical nous, Keane limits himself to one good show in 20, Robbo doesn't command his box, blah blah blah...

Now I'm not averse to criticism of the team and its performances, but it strikes me that Spurs fans are great at attending matches, but seem to think they don't have to bother supporting the team. Does £30 really entitle you to boo your own? I've never felt as bad as hearing our own booing Raziak at Leicester in the Cup last year the first time he jumped for a high ball, how the f*ck is that going to encourage or motivate a player who's lacking confidence?

Anyway, its prompted me to look at the records of a few of the more successful managers in the last 15 years or so. Alex Ferguson, a man who took 4 years to win any silverware, despite the great record his side had in his first full season at the club (2nd to Pool in the league). By all accounts, Ferie was one FA Cup tie away from the sack...1 goal against Forest, and the rest is history...

Arsene Wenger wasn't blessed with silverware in his first few years at Arsenal. He won the double in his second season then went three years without any real honours (Charity Shield aside)

If either of them were at Spurs how long would they last before the boos started? Spurs need to approach the club's development as a project to be completed over a number of years. Have we improved the squad this Summer? IMO we have. Are we financially secure? Yes we are. HAve we a good manager? Yes we have. Lets give Jol/Commoli/Levy a chance to prove themselves...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I think you make some good points ronan. I also am dismayed at the attitude of posters on certain spurs sites. We are far and away the best team on paper in the premiership outside the top four. We have new players that are trying to settle into the english game and we are also trying to adapt to life without our main creative force in Carrick. I think we will still definately get a top 6 finish with Newcastle, Everton, Blackburn, Villa, West Ham and Boro all clipping at our heals. Top four is still a possibility if we fill our problem positions in the next couple of days. And the reason top4 is still a possibility is because of Arsenals poor start. I feel Arsenal are going to struggle this season especially if Henry gets injured. The only thing I am annoyed about is the clubs inability to conclude our transfer dealings earlier in the season. Levy's style means that our transfers always go to the wire on the last day of the window. Imo that strategy whilst possibly saving us money has cost us valuable points and team morale early in the season. But all in the all the club is in its best position in years and I'm sure there are exciting times ahead. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The fact that we so narrowly missed out on the fourth spot and champions league football was always going to affect some fans expectations. The truth be told we were lucky to be in that position, though we played with a great level of consistency last season. As you pointed out this is a relatively young and inexperienced team but a great prospect for the coming years also as playboy pointed out when you loose your main playmaker it will take any team a while to adjust. I think in Martin Jol we have a manager who embraces all the attacking qualities that define spurs but my one criticism of him would be his lack of interest in bringing in top defenders which I think needs to be addresed. The truth is as chelsea'a current positon shows that the openeing games of the season are no basis for judging how a season can go. If spurs can hold the same level of connsistency this season as last season or improve on it then it will be a sucessful season regardless of silverware.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well said Ronan,

I think we are probably some of the most fickle fans in football. I think we have made some real progress over the last year or so, i don't see us pushing for the top 4 this season, but i would hope we would make Top 6 again.
    We have a relatively young team and they will take time to gel (with the new additions).

We all need to get behind the team through good or bad times, and i for one will do that and never boo a player waering the white shirt..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I agree with you all here. There is some things that need to be sorted out but we do have a very strong squad. I think we need to look at our poor start in perspective. Yes the two losses were very poor performances but the way the league has started everyone (bar United) has been dropping points so we're not that far off the general pace. We can't really afford to lose at Old Trafford and Anfield now though, that would be a big mental set back to face so many losses so early. I don't see any reason why can't pick up at least a point in each though if we play to our ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 journo75

Vitalfootball.co.uk - lord the fans on there are really ripping MJ apart. He's a good manager, we need to stick with him. Compared to Santini, he's a legend. People need to think of the long view - it'll take time for that team to gel. Another downside to the whole Chelsea thing - it's all about instant results. It's not Pro Evo, people - it's the real thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement