Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make computer go faster now (805)

• 28-08-2006 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi
    I am totally totally new to this.. I bought a cheapish pc, but it has a Pentium D 805 dual core chip (with stock intel cooler) which is 2x2.66 and I was wondering what you guys think is safe to go up to with that cooler..

The board is ASUS P5P800-VM SKT 775 board (i865 chipset i think)
    Its got 1 gig ddr 333 ram (not great)
    I'll be putting an old fx 5900 xt into it

You think its possible to get it running at about 3.3 ghz with the stock cooler? I read that it doesnt need extra voltage at around 3.2/3.3

Will the ram and/or motherboard bottleneck it? (I know nothing about this really)

And if I was to get a cooler from komplett which is a good cheap one to get for that kind of chip?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Up the FSB to 166Mhz and run your RAM at 1:1
    This should be a nice boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

I don't know how to do that, can the fan take it at 166?
    ram 1:1 in the what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

If you don't know how to change your FSB then you need to do a lot more research on Overclocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Bunny wrote:
    Hi
    I am totally totally new to this.. I bought a cheapish pc, but it has a Pentium D 805 dual core chip (with stock intel cooler) which is 2x2.66 and I was wondering what you guys think is safe to go up to with that cooler..

The board is ASUS P5P800-VM SKT 775 board (i865 chipset i think)
    Its got 1 gig ddr 333 ram (not great)
    I'll be putting an old fx 5900 xt into it

You think its possible to get it running at about 3.3 ghz with the stock cooler? I read that it doesnt need extra voltage at around 3.2/3.3

Will the ram and/or motherboard bottleneck it? (I know nothing about this really)

And if I was to get a cooler from komplett which is a good cheap one to get for that kind of chip?

thanks

You can achieve a clock speed of 3.6Ghz on this processor without any cooling (FSB = 180Mhz)
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/page22.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You would be better of askign this in the tweaking/modding forum, as you will get a better response there.

But yeah you should be able to run the cpu at over 3ghz easy on the stock cooler.

To up the fsb you need to go into your bios. To do this turn your pc on, and tap the del key untill you see a blue screen. Now you need to find the spu option, Where you will see fsb, voltage settings and the likes. What you need to do it raise the fsb in small incriments, usually 2/3mhz at a time and boot into windows and run a benchmark. like superpi or a 3dmark benchmark. and leave it loop for a few times. If its stable go back to the bios and increase the fsb a bit more. And keep doing this untill your pc becomes unstable. What will happen when it becomes unstable is a random reboot, a lockup or a bsod ( blue screen of death ). When this happens its time for more juice.

What you have to do now is increase the voltage to the cpu/ram and chipset. for example your cpu will run at 1.4v you will need to increase it to the next stage, which would be something like 1.45/1.50v. your ram will be at for example 2.2v, increase this to 2.3v. And your chipset will be on for example again 1.6v increasr this to 1.7 Or which ever is the next step up from it.

Also what you should do is loosen the ram timings. Your ram timings will be something like 3.5-5-5-5-9 What you have to do is raise them to something like 4-7-7-7-11.

Then boot into windows again and check for stability. But remember overclocking will void your warrenty, and it s done at your own risk. so if you fudje something up, dont blame me :D

the more you up the fsb and voltages the hotter the cpu/ram and chipset will become. So you need some good airflow in the case, Somethinf like 1 fan at the front bringing in cold air, and one at the back to be used as a exhaust fan. This is the bare minimum ammount of fans needed.

Now this is where i would reccomend getting a new hsf for the cpu. something like the freezer 7. Also some better ram would help too, As this is were you need the headroom for overclocking

Here are some links for 805 overclocking for you:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/334/1/
    http://www.digital-daily.com/cpu/pentium_d_805/index02.htm

here is a guy in the same situation as you
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1864208

If you need any more link just use google.

Enjoy.

Also your motherboard comes with ASUS CPU Lock Free. which allows you to adjust CPU multiplier to 14x. The reduction of multiplier value provides more flexibility for increasing external FSB frequency to raise memory bus bandwidth. CPU Lock Free boosts overall system performance by making synchronous modification possible. Enjoy better performance at the same CPU operation speed and improve your system without pushing the CPU to the limit.

After you overclock to about 3.6ghz you will see a 29% increase in performance

• Advertisement

Anti thanks very much for that, very useful..

Will try it when I get home..

I will see if I can get it to about 3.3 with the stock fan and stable

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to Tweak/Mod Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Bunny wrote:
    Anti thanks very much for that, very useful..

Will try it when I get home..

I will see if I can get it to about 3.3 with the stock fan and stable

cheers

Regardless of Toms Hardware "guide" best use decent and correctly applied thermal paste. Oh and backup any important information you need, just in case.

Be sure to watch the temeratures like a hawk with tools such as SpeedFan. You can use stress prime to stress test. You will need two instances running, assigned to one core each. As anti says make small adjustments only, otherwise you could be in trouble.

Thanks guys

I got down Sandra lite to check the cpu temp
    and CPU-z to have a look at voltage and check the actual speed..

Strangely enough when I go into the BIOS I cannot change the FBS.. I only get some weird thing allowing me overclock the CPU in 5% rises.. 5.. 10.. 15.. etc (board is asus p5p800-vm, i865)

I ran 3dmark01se on normal setup with the xprtvision fx5900xt in and got about 12900 marks.

I then got decent drivers for the 5900 and I ramped up the CPU by just 5% (its gone from 2.66 to 2.79 ghz) and I got over 14000 marks.

Thats all for tonight... think I am playing with fire here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what real world performance increase are you expecting to see? Do you want your games to run faster or your programs to open faster? You have quite a few pretty bad bottlenecks in that system and apart from a few more points on your benchies you aren't really going to notice anything amazing with an overclock on your CPU.

If you are doing it purely for the practice and experience then by all means, but you won't really "notice" your computer going faster.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers from HERE

Can you post some pictures of your BIOS. It would make it easier to tell you what to change to get the best OC for the CPU. I have an ASUS mobo and I think there is an option to turn off the 5% increment thing, you need to set your CPU settings to "manual" and you can then increase it by whatever you want.

Like was said you need to get some decent monitoring S/W, I use systool. When you increase your clock, tell us what your idle and load temps are for the CPU. To load your CPU use a stress test, OCCT is good, so is Prime95.

• Advertisement

I just want to tinker around with it and play a few games on it prehaps

Thanks for the info..

Do you mind if I ask what the bottlenecks are? probably the ram and motherboard right?

I think I'd be happy for now if I can get the CPU running at around 3.3 ghz with the stock fan, if the temperature doesnt go too high..

Last night it went to 40c highest, what is the highest I should let it run with the stock fan when the pc is stressed?

I am just trying to turn a cheap budget pc (this cost me about 450) into a slightly faster one..

the bottlenecks will definatly be your ram and mootherboard. You will need overclockers ram like geil, gskill, ocz or corsair. For a good motherboard DFI are exceptional overclockers.

your cpu temps of 40c are perfectly acceptable.

If you do want to hit 3.3ghz get a beter hsf installed, As at 3.3ghz the cpu will be running incredibly hot, espicially on a stock fan.

**EDIT**

Duplicate post, can a mod delete this one please

:)

Advertisement