Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best laptop?

• 28-08-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

What is the best range of laptop on the market,if money was irrelevant?
    I have heard that alienware are very good. Are there any others,and does sony compare with them?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I like sony a lot, very expensive and have no idea what their support is like but they do make well built laptops in my opinion.Also good ol' IBM cost you an arm and a leg but built like a tank....but If its FLASHY! your looking for,then Dell an XPS M1710 or XPS M2010 (20" screen!?) and Alienwares SLI 19" Notebooks would be your best bet for high priced beauties!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Alienware are good but overpriced, I know you said if price was irrelevant but at the same time no point paying over the odds, they do some lovely machines though.

Sony are well designed and visually appealing laptops but I don't think they're anything but average regarding lastibilily and durability. I've heard alot of complaints especially when it comes to keyboards.

Dell are generally speaking very reliable and do some great high end laptops, especially if you check the outlet store frequently.

IBM are the best in my opinion in terms of general reliablity, had several thinkpads that lasted years without a hint of trouble, they are pricey though.

The imfamous Panasonic toughbooks - if its actual reliability and durability you're after, then look no further. These beasts can withstand literally a 12ft drop or being baked in the oven, stamped on, etc.

Is it for gaming? Then I'd recommend DELL or maybe Acer/Advent. IBM and Sony are nice laptops, and do come with decent graphics cards in some cases, but you'll pay handsomely over the odds for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

What is the best range of laptop on the market,if money was irrelevant?
    I have heard that alienware are very good. Are there any others,and does sony compare with them?

Thanks for the help

Depends what you want it for - if it's for media (video editing, music composition, photo editing) I'd go for a fully specced MacBook Pro.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ah Jesus! here we go...

This is like asking "What is the best beer" in the food and drink
    or asking "Whats the best song ever" in music section!!!!

I bet there is a secret group who go to each section and ask these "The best...?" questions!

ENOUGH! aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Come on now Access, everyone is entitled to ask a question, if they weren't then it wouldnt be boards.ie, would it?

I think, for what its worth, Dell laptops have got better over the years. I bought an inspiron 9100 2 yrs back and it was big, scorching-hot and made lots of noise...the Rosie O Donnell of the laptop world, although not THAT heavy.

It was just before the 6000/9400 came out, and while they still dont look amazing, they are well built and have decent enough components. Plus Dell's insurance schemes are just what you need when bringing a laptop around on a bike.

I was thinking about buying a 640M or an XPS M1210, both have got decent reviews from what i have seen, although as mentioned, the thinkpads are probably the best laptop you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Hmmm, if I was looking for one for photo editing and digital art ie. the screen resolution, colour etc is of utmost importance, is there any one particular range I should go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

In fairness, this question does get asked pretty regularily.
    This question is also no different from a lot of the others.
    The OP hasnt really given any prerequisites or standards for measuring this "best laptop" against.
    Do you want a workstation replacement laptop that will do ANYTHING but be pretty heavy and costly?
    Or do you want a laptop you can literally bang of walls, that could withstand being dropped from a height, and still work?
    Do you want a laptop that is so small and light you can take is anywhere with ease?
    Do you want a laptop that can play every game out now and for the foreseeable future, or do you want one which is cheap?

Then in this forum we have people who are anti one brand of laptop and for another, the same arguments being used each time. In general these discussions turn out to be pretty pointless and leaves the original poster in a more confused state than they were before.
    I would advise the OP to have a look through the forum for similiar threads with similiar questions, then come back with some pre-reqs to decide this "best laptop" criteria.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Verita

kippy wrote:
    The OP hasnt really given any prerequisites or standards for measuring this "best laptop" against.
    Do you want a workstation replacement laptop that will do ANYTHING but be pretty heavy and costly?
    Or do you want a laptop you can literally bang of walls, that could withstand being dropped from a height, and still work?
    Do you want a laptop that is so small and light you can take is anywhere with ease?
    Do you want a laptop that can play every game out now and for the foreseeable future, or do you want one which is cheap?

Then in this forum we have people who are anti one brand of laptop and for another, the same arguments being used each time. In general these discussions turn out to be pretty pointless and leaves the original poster in a more confused state than they were before.
    I would advise the OP to have a look through the forum for similiar threads with similiar questions, then come back with some pre-reqs to decide this "best laptop" criteria.
    Kippy

Well said that Man/Woman. Saved me doing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

kippy wrote:

Kippy

THANK YOU KIPPY...!

Please please please, the best thing to do is look at the stickys at the top of the forum and visit the many sites available and use your own judgement and then refer back to here to ask other same laptop model users questions to your heart content!

Anyway, Now that that is cleared up... "What is the best day of the week? I personally like fridays!!!" :D:D:D

Advertisement