Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US open

• 28-08-2006 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭

So anyone else looking forward to this. This is 1 of my favourite events.

I love the night matches, the floodlights and new york crowd and energy they give is fantastic, love to attend a night match there. There is nothing quite like it really

So who does everyone think will take it. It is going to be another Nadal Federer final and how will Agassi do in final match.
    Personally I love to see Andre do a Sampras like performance but don't think he has it in him and if he gets to 2nd week then I think he has done well, will be sad when he plays final match.
    I am going to be highly predictable when I say Federer versus Nadal final, like to see it as well, they are in a class of there own at the moment and Nadal has a good game for hard courts, I'll tip Federer to take it but will be tight if it's Nadal final, hope it is, the US open needs a tight final, been ages since it had one.

As for womens side well it seems to be whoever is not injured will take it which at the moment looks like Henin or Mauresmo, last time I checked they weren't injured anyway. Mauresmo has finally broken the duck and is in form this year so think she will take it down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Hey would love to watch it, Are any channels showing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Its on sky sports xtra and eurosport.

Im thinking a Federer-Roddick final is likely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Sky Sports extra are showing interactive coverage which is fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Last nights Agassi-Baghdatis match was superb.
    5 sets of exhilirating power tennis.
    I'd love to see Andre win it like Sampras 4 years ago, but he would need a few upsets to do so.
    Those night matches really are something special,I must definitely go in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Didn't catch that one, but I really enjoyed his first round game.

Andy Murray ftw.

• Advertisement

Those night matches really are something special,I must definitely go in the next few years.

I agree, it was match of the tournament so far and as I already said, love those night matches, like nothing else.

Well not at business stage and it's looking good bet for Roddick federer final, roddick seems to be really back in form and federer is bring federer, ultimately have to back federer but with crowd behind roddick then maybe will give him impetus he needs to pull of the upset.

As for the womens, not seen much but overall Mauresmo looks good bet, she looks like now she can handle the pressure so go for her, should be great weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Federer - Blake last night was a classic,unbelievably hard hitting tennis.
    The mens game is so far ahead of the womans now its funny.
    Its ridiculous that Men have to play best of 5 whereas the woman generally play 2 soft sets.
    Federer looks unstoppable,the only person who could stop him,Safin is out .
    The womans game to be honest is a joke
    After wiping the floor with Justine Henin-Hardenne to take the first set and go up in the second set 4-2, No. 19 Jankovic crashed hard, losing the next 10 games, and the match, to the No. 2 ranked Belgian; 4-6, 6-4, 6-0.
    Sharapova busted her five straight Grand Slam semifinal jinx in resounding fashion when she out-stroked and out-thought No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo, 6-0, 4-6, 6-0,
    6 sets played and 3 of them were 6-0 ,says it all really,serious mental issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Its a set all in the mens final now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Wow poor Roddick, he kinda cracked after holding serve over 7 deuces to level at 5-5 in the 3rd. Federer, like he was teasing him all along, just upped a gear and romped away winning the next 7 games even missing a championship pt on Roddicks's serve for a bagel. Perhaps he wanted to spare Roddick the indignity of losing a final in that manner.

Federer is awesome and possibly the best athlete in the world right now but he needs more competition before everyone gets sick of him winning. He now leads Roddick 11-1 in head to heads 3 of them in Grand Slam finals. Safin doesn't look up to the challenge and Nadal will probably go back to just being a great clay court player.

That said I can't wait until the French Open next year where Nadal is king and Fed will no doubt be aiming to hold all grand slams at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wouldn't say I' a big fan of tennis, I do watch the majors from time to time and have always done so, But to see Federer play like that is one of the most beautiful sights in the sporting world. Tennis played by him and Sampras and Mac before him was so sublime. It's that beautiful. I was never a fan of the French Open due to it's constant baseline power shooting. It actually got quite boring quite soon, but Federer you could watch all day. He makes the game look so damn easy, when really it's technically the most skilled sport in the world. With all his talent I think it is his effortless footwork that is the key to his brilliance. He's like a ballerina on the court.

One thing I was surprised to see was Tiger Woods sitting in the Federer camp. I don't think the American people or Roddick would be pleased to see that. Aren't Woods and Roddick both US citizens??!!!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote:
    I wouldn't say I' a big fan of tennis, I do watch the majors from time to time and have always done so, But to see Federer play like that is one of the most beautiful sights in the sporting world. Tennis played by him and Sampras and Mac before him was so sublime. It's that beautiful. I was never a fan of the French Open due to it's constant baseline power shooting. It actually got quite boring quite soon, but Federer you could watch all day. He makes the game look so damn easy, when really it's technically the most skilled sport in the world. With all his talent I think it is his effortless footwork that is the key to his brilliance. He's like a ballerina on the court.

One thing I was surprised to see was Tiger Woods sitting in the Federer camp. I don't think the American people or Roddick would be pleased to see that. Aren't Woods and Roddick both US citizens??!!!

Whoops late reply but was away in japan.
    I agree completely, I could spend all day just watching Federer playing, he is such a great sportsman, He is far better to watch then Sampras imo, he was great player but well his game was very based around his serve, he never had the range of shots Federer had. Federer really has it all, can play any shot and even makes up his own shots. It is a pity he didn't win the french, just 2 sets away from doing the slam but sure I can see him do it next year, he improved a lot on clay this year and if he makes same improvement then I think he can really give Nadal a run for his money!

Also woods being in his corner, that is a scary sporting pairing, probably 2 greatest sportsmen on the planet, think of the talent they pocess between them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think he's a great Player no doubt but not a great sportsman. I don't think I've ever seen him give ANY credit to his oppenents which annoys me.
    Maybe it's the reason he is so good though?

In relation to Woods who was at the final in the Fed camp. He was a Stampford Bridge a week later watching Chelsea! Hmmm.

Advertisement