Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Department At WIT

• 28-08-2006 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi There,

After moving from Manchester to Waterford three months ago I researched how much English as an academic subject was studied in the South East Region of Ireland. I am truly gobsmacked that WIT does not run more Arts Subjects including English, Philosophy, Theatre Studies and History. Surely if the Institution wishes to make the leap from Technological Academy to University status these subjects are crucial to this movement.

I wish for anybody's thoughts on the above either for or against. Particualrlay when it comes to English as an Acadmemic Subject here in Ireland.

Kind Regards

Bradfield83

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

WIT'S Humanities areas are broken down as follows

School of Humanities
    Dept. of Languages, Tourism & Hospitality
    Dept. of Creative & Performing Arts
    Dept. of Applied Arts

;)
    WIT's school of humanities is of a high quality. I from School of Sciences Dept. of Computing, Math’s and Physics but I had a lecturer from that school and things like Theatre Studies and History are taught. The majority of students wanting to study English unfortunately go to a University

[
    QUOTE=bradfield83]Hi There,

After moving from Manchester to Waterford three months ago I researched how much English as an academic subject was studied in the South East Region of Ireland. I am truly gobsmacked that WIT does not run more Arts Subjects including English, Philosophy, Theatre Studies and History. Surely if the Institution wishes to make the leap from Technological Academy to University status these subjects are crucial to this movement.

I wish for anybody's thoughts on the above either for or against. Particualrlay when it comes to English as an Acadmemic Subject here in Ireland.

Kind Regards

Bradfield83[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bradfield83

I have no doubt that the humanities department is run well, it seems like a well organised academy throughout.

When you mention that History and Theatre studies are taught; are they taught as specific units within a degree because i can't seem to locate these courses as independents on the webstie or in this years prospectus?

I find it stange that such an institution does not run these subjects as degree's regardless if they are units or not. I've learnt that Universites and Technological Institutions are autonomous with what they provide as courses to students. Is there no way we can influence the Institution to run courses like English, History or Theatre Studies for next year? Or, is there infact a channel the registrar's and board of WIT have to go down to obtain a permission to run such subjects?

Kind Regards,

Bradfield83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭cyberwit

Wll one of my lectures did say he taught Theatre Studies. Subjects like History and Theatre Studies are mainly taught true modules on the different Humanities courses e.g. BA in Tourism & Heritage Studies Add On Degree
    Modules: Literary & Historical Studies ,Arts & Cultural Studies, Archaeological Studies.New courses are added all the time.

I have no doubt that the humanities department is run well, it seems like a well organised academy throughout.

When you mention that History and Theatre studies are taught; are they taught as specific units within a degree because i can't seem to locate these courses as independents on the webstie or in this years prospectus?

I find it stange that such an institution does not run these subjects as degree's regardless if they are units or not. I've learnt that Universites and Technological Institutions are autonomous with what they provide as courses to students. Is there no way we can influence the Institution to run courses like English, History or Theatre Studies for next year? Or, is there infact a channel the registrar's and board of WIT have to go down to obtain a permission to run such subjects?

Kind Regards,

Bradfield83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bradfield83

I have heard on the radio today of Kiearn Byrne's concerns over lack of student interest in scientific and technological courses. With having everey respect for Professor Byrne perhaps it is now time to re-think the courses that are on offer at WIT. Maybe it should not be a time to highlight the courses that already exist on the prospectus but to offer new courses, courses that range for every potential student in the South East area. This, at the very least would invite every student into WIT but it would also, in my opinion, propel the institution into the University Status.

Thus, I hereby begin the campaign to bring an English department to WIT.

Please, everyone who reads this give your opinions about opening such a department at WIT whether positive or negative. I believe for certain that if we can have as much public interest in establishing such a department as possible the institution would have to open one.

Regards,

Bradfield83

Advertisement