Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracting

Options
  • 28-08-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently a oracle developer with 4-5 years experience and I'm thinkin of moving to Dublin in the next few months.

I like the looks of the contracting options up there.

How do i get setup for contracting? what pro's\con's have you come across as regards contracting.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Copied to Work/Jobs.

(And bumped).

*Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

First of all, no agency will touch you unless you're set up as a Limited Company.

Secondly, I find jobserve.co.uk the best, even for sourcing Irish work.

Thirdly, when you say you are an 'Oracle Developer', what exactly do you mean? Are you a PL/SQL jockey? Apps consultant? Forms developer?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Hi DublinWriter

At the moment my job title is senior developer/analyst
    I’m primarily Forms & Reports developer using
    Oracle 10g forms & reports
    Oracle 6i forms & report
    PL/SQL

Also provide relief to the DBA’s (9i and 10g Databases )when they are under pressure. But I have basically used and developed with the majority of oracle products and technologies.

I don’t believe ill have to much of a problem get contract or permanent work in Dublin with 4-5 oracle experience under the belt.

What ya think?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

First of all, no agency will touch you unless you're set up as a Limited Company.

I'd disagree with that point myself, I'm working as a contractor myself and have had no issues with agencies ever over being set up as a Limited Company.

Chatterbox,
    you will definately not find it difficult picking up contract work in Dublin with that kind of Oracle experience.
    Have you any VB6 and or .net skills?
    And how highly do you rate your sql skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chatterbox

Well,

I wreckon my sql fairly strong, but i must admit that since we got TOAD in over the past year or so, it does a lot of the hard work for me as regards DBA style sql.

No real industry experience in .NET or SQL server only what i done myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JuncoPartner

Well the crowd Im working for might well be interested in speaking to you.

You would need excellent plsql anyway.
    We do a lot of VB6 client apps so thats a must too.
    All of our new development recently has been in .net, both 2003 and 2005. We also use SQL Server extensively but I think there is both SQL Server and Oracle positions seperately.

Send me a PM if you want more info anyway

Advertisement