Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prison Break; No Emmy Nominations?!

• 28-08-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Maybe I am missing something but for a show getting massive ratings in the US as well as overseas, why no Emmy nominations never mind awards. Was it that it started only last year? Lost I believe picked up a load of Emmy's its first season.
    Just wondering, maybe the voters just dont like this show!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, Emmy's are a pile of shoite anyways. Don't get me started on the amount of deserving actors and shows it's spit on over the years in favour of utter muck like 'Will & Grace' etc.

Regards Prison Break, it has won one award in it's first season:
    People's Choice Award - Favorite New Television Drama

And been nominated (but lost) for:
    Saturn Award
    - Best Actor on Television - Wentworth Miller
    - Best Network Television Series

American Cinema Editors, USA
    - Best Edited One-Hour Series for Commercial Television (Mark Helfrich For the pilot episode)

Golden Globes, USA
    - Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama - Wentworth Miller
    - Best Television Series - Drama

Television Critics Association Awards
    - Outstanding New Program of the Year

... shamelessly stolen from IMDB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ya and Two and a half men was another, although it is the most watched sitcom, but I never liked it. I was delighted to see the Daily show get a few awards, that and the Colbert report are great. The Office got an award also, very much deserved. But to not have Prison Break even in there was unreal, maybe as its on FOX, would that have had any influence over nominations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

murfie wrote:
    But to not have Prison Break even in there was unreal, maybe as its on FOX, would that have had any influence over nominations?
    [rant]

I don't think so.. i have always reckoned 'Prison Break' never got enough attention. Typical example is the site Aint It Cool News who give regular talkbacks to Veronica Mars, BSG, Arrested Development, 24 (etc) and have NEVER given a single talkback for 'Prison Break' and i think ran a news story on it once or twice maybe - most recently giving a quick nod to it as Dominic Purcell is being considered to play Hulk in the sequel.

Yes, it performs well with the viewers but does it rarely get nearly the acclaim or attention it deserves? In my opinion, no!

Most people i talk to about it have either rarely watched it or are not regular viewers.. quite sad really as it really was the most entertaining show on TV right now.

Extremely daft, OTT... but absolutely feckin' thrilling stuff for the most part!

[/rant]

PS - yes, well deserved awards for both 'My Name Is Earl' and 'The Office'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

doubt it. 24 won something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Emmy awards came across as the "safe" option.

Like Music awards, I wouldn't read to much into it. Prison Break was one of the best shows on tv last year, and even though I'm a huge 24 fan, It was better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

if robert knepper doesn't win an award then i'm going to send him one of those little trophys you can buy for 4.99 in the shops or wherever these things magically appear out off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

if robert knepper doesn't win an award then i'm going to send him one of those little trophys you can buy for 4.99 in the shops or wherever these things magically appear out off.

Glad to see you finally came out of the closet, well done. Hope it goes well for you, I am sure Robert will be delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AlexSummers

basquille wrote:
    [rant]

I don't think so.. i have always reckoned 'Prison Break' never got enough attention. Typical example is the site Aint It Cool News who give regular talkbacks to Veronica Mars, BSG, Arrested Development, 24 (etc) and have NEVER given a single talkback for 'Prison Break' and i think ran a news story on it once or twice maybe - most recently giving a quick nod to it as Dominic Purcell is being considered to play Hulk in the sequel.

Yes, it performs well with the viewers but does it rarely get nearly the acclaim or attention it deserves? In my opinion, no!

Most people i talk to about it have either rarely watched it or are not regular viewers.. quite sad really as it really was the most entertaining show on TV right now.

Extremely daft, OTT... but absolutely feckin' thrilling stuff for the most part!

[/rant]

PS - yes, well deserved awards for both 'My Name Is Earl' and 'The Office'

Prison Break is great entertainment but even as a fan of the show it is definantly not one of the best dramas on TV. The acting is A to B and back again also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nothing odd about my post at all there luv (for a change)
    pokerwidow wrote:
    Glad to see you finally came out of the closet, well done. Hope it goes well for you, I am sure Robert will be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

just watched the emmys there, at least Wenty got to present a few awards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Prison Break is great entertainment but even as a fan of the show it is definantly not one of the best dramas on TV. The acting is A to B and back again also.
    what he says, entertaining show, but its not a work of art or that. Nice idea, carried out well, but there is nothing amazingly special about it.And season 2 doesn't even really have the entertainment part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Thought it was desperate that 24 beat Prison Break. Don't get me wrong, I think 24's lethal, and this season has been a good one, but there's absolutely no comparison between it and prison break. None. Shame on the emmy people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AlexSummers

Thought it was desperate that 24 beat Prison Break. Don't get me wrong, I think 24's lethal, and this season has been a good one, but there's absolutely no comparison between it and prison break. None. Shame on the emmy people.

How did 24 beat Prison Break when the only award Prison Break was nominated for was outstanding Opening Credits or something like that. :confused:

Most people would probably agree that both programmes have their flaws but both are good programmes and everyone has their own opinions on which is better. But, 24 over the last five years has been one of the most refreshing, thrilling and superbly made TV show on the air. I firmly believe Prison Break will not sustain quality in storytelling for a long time. Criticisms are already being formed over the second season so its not bodding well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I wonder how s2 will manage at all alright. But it was for this year's season, not the previous five. And based on this year, prison break wins it hands down for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

Its all about the episodes they submitted for nomination and 24 had the best 6 episodes and went on to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jay_31

prision break is a far better show. 24 had it's best season last year. will they need to bring back another kidnapping to make another season.... season after season it's been the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 playwert

murfie wrote:
    Maybe I am missing something but for a show getting massive ratings in the US as well as overseas, why no Emmy nominations never mind awards. Was it that it started only last year? Lost I believe picked up a load of Emmy's its first season.
    Just wondering, maybe the voters just dont like this show!:eek:

you cited ratings as a reason.thats stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

Firstly ratings have nothing to do with the Emmys e.g. Arrested Development and seasondly Prison Break's ratings weren't that huge, mediocre if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

yep if it was ratings csi/american idol would win everything lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I never said just on its ratings it deserved an Emmy, even though a popular show with good viewing numbers would suggest it there is something good about it. I did however say it at least deserved a token nomination as to its popularity and worldwide following, acknowledging this I don't see as stupid whatsoever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement