Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take care of fascias/soffits

Options
  • 28-08-2006 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

I'm living in a house built in the late 70's with the original wooden fascia's and soffits. From ground level, they look to be in ok condition, although they are a bit scruffy looking.

I'm not a big fan of the PVC fascias, so I'd like to give my existing ones a bit of TLC and hopefully get a few more years out of them.

Can anyone recommend the best way to keep them from deteriorating. Is it enough to simply put another coat of paint on them ? and if so, what type of paint should I be using - standard exterior paint ?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well its all in the preparation as they say.Doing facia/soffit from a ladder can be hard firstly. While your up there its best to check your gutters,give them a cleaning out if moss is in them or leaves etc. Get all the dirty work done first.

If they are in good enough condition the standard undercoat/gloss system can be ok.But if there is visible flaking then it will all have to be scraped off usings a scraper/wirebrush.I prefer a wirebrush tbh. Dulux have a paint that is specially made for the exterior,its paint film flexes in harsh conditions.I havent personally used it but from what other painters I have come into contact with they recommend it.

Facia/soffit whether it be wood/pvc gets dirty with the elements.If you do the preparation right then I dont see why you shouldnt have to paint your facia/soffit for atleast 3-5years or more. But this can depend on the colour of the paint you use also. White reflects the sun while black will attract the sun causing possible bubbles to appear on the facia.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I appreciate the reply mad m. now that I think about it, painting from the top of a ladder might not be as easy as I first thought :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ah sure if you have a head for heights you will be ok,make sure someone foots the bottom of ladder for you. Generally from what I have heard ladders overs a certain distance will/have been outlawed now by Health&Safety(think this is on sites and work places).

A painter who I used to work with his site was closed for weeks because the ladders were to dangerous to use on 3story houses.They had to wait to scaffold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are new fascias out of the question for you, alot easier to get a new one looking all pretty. ;)

Advertisement