Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PC Shooters etc?

Options
  • 28-08-2006 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I got a fairly impressive laptop recently and I'm wondering what are the best PC shooters out today? I know Half Life 2 is class but I can't seem to find the feckin' thing anywhere due to the release of the new episode. I also know Farcry is supposed to be good but after a few videos that I have downloaded...I was expecting a Half-Life 2 opponent...but it didn't prove to be.

So any help would be good please.

___
    ____
    _____

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Single player or multiplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

If FarCry doesn't move you ... not sure what will.

You could try F.E.A.R. .... it impressed me, at the same time as inducing bowel crunching terror at random intervals.

What didn't you like about FarCry ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gyre wrote:
    I know Half Life 2 is class but I can't seem to find the feckin' thing anywhere due to the release of the new episode.

just ask in store and i'm sure you'll get it. or download steam and download it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

Well...I haven't played FarCry but I don't like the A.I already. I just don't feel like the game could match up to Half-Life. Also, the bad guys persistantly saying "I'm gonna break your face" etc isn't a good thing and could corrupt me with rage...not to defeat the enemy but turn it off.

As for Half-Lfe...can you download it? For the same price I'm guessing?
    (Single Player games by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gyre wrote:
    As for Half-Lfe...can you download it? For the same price I'm guessing?
    (Single Player games by the way)

not sure how much it is in stores but it's $30 off steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

FEAR, Doom 3 and Quake 4 are all worth checking out. Outside of FPS' theres Max Payne/Max Payne 2 and the Splinter Cell Series if you don't mind 3rd Person shooters/tac-shooters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

I'm a fond fan of the Splinter Cell Series, only on the Playstation doe. F.e.a.r certainly looks nice. I wonder would I get away with 128 graphics doe? I'd say so. Doom on the other hand has got fairl shoddy reviews (both 3 and 4) but all reviewers are only opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

tbh I don't get people's gripes with doom 3, I would definately recommend it.

After half life 2 it was probably the most enjoyable single player fps for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so you like walking into a corridor hit a hidden switch in the floor out pops an imp kill it.

do this over and over and over ohh and over again for however long the game is?

graphically it looks great but the gameplay is way over repetitive for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

there are only so many ways you can have a monster come out at you. the thing that impressed me most about the game were the spider things, they had very lifelike movements and came out of EVERYWHERE in swarms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Alright its nearly 6 years old and the graphics have aged badly but if you want an immersive single player campaign Operation Flashpoint is still the business. The Gold Edition with all 3 games is about 20E in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Far Cry is good, don't dismiss it offhand. You might not enjoy the latter third of the game because of all the bloody non-humans, but until then it's excellent.

I quite like Quake 4 and FEAR.

If you're willing to sacrifice frantic action for some real good immersion and story, have a go at Thief 3 Deadly Shadows. A teeny bit dated in these days of High Dynamic Range lighting and such, but damn good fun. Except the Shalebridge Cradle level. That wasn't fun. That was terrifying.

Oh, and you're probably better off downloading HL2 off Steam. It's cheaper, and if you bought it in a shop you'd likely need to download hefty updates to it in any case.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Single Player
    Half life 2
    Half life 2 episode 1
    Call of Duty 2
    Condemned Criminal origins

Multiplayer
    Ut2004
    Day of Defeat Source
    Counterstrike Source
    Call of Duty 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Max Payne/Max Payne 2
    Arent they ancient, i remember playing max payne back in the day(i took a 2.5yr break from games) but i might look into getting max payne2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Marts wrote:
    there are only so many ways you can have a monster come out at you. the thing that impressed me most about the game were the spider things, they had very lifelike movements and came out of EVERYWHERE in swarms

Although they were cool to look at, i got fairly sick of pistol whipping them. Very repeditive tbh. Quake 4, now that was a deadly game! Very frightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nuttzy wrote:
    Arent they ancient, i remember playing max payne back in the day(i took a 2.5yr break from games) but i might look into getting max payne2.
    The original is a wee bit old but it still looks really good imo. MP2 is newer and definitly still looks very nice. Doom 3 can get a small bit repetitive but the beginning and end are great, its just the middle that drags.

And Quake 4? Scary? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

as i said in the 'drought' thread, prey is an excellent game, and looks bloody gorgeous. Not your average fps too, a bit more cerebral. Also i love doom3, yes its repetitive but its doom after all, some great scares, and some lubberly graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Jesus christ - just get Far Cry. Its easily the equal of Half-Life2.

I don't know what videos you downloaded, but the enemies don't constantly say "I'm gonna break your face".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

While Far Cry was very good, and had beautiful graphics, I think calling it the equal of Half-Life 2 is taking things a bit far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

In many ways it is better than half-life 2. Enemy AI, non linear paths, graphics, more satisfying "thump" from weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

i like prey, fear, COD2, BF2, HL2, MOHAA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FEAR, HL, HL Ep 1, Doom3, Quake 4, Far Cry, COD, COD 2. Just what i see on my shelf now.
    I quite liked SWAT 4 & upgrade pack. Doesn't take much of a pc to run it either. Its a FPS with a difference, you order the rest of the team. Should be able to pick it up fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Stephen wrote:
    While Far Cry was very good, and had beautiful graphics, I think calling it the equal of Half-Life 2 is taking things a bit far!
    Yeah, good game, but my god if i had to hear those guards insults one more bloody time... :rolleyes:
    "im gonna shoot you in the face!" yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Far Cry was overrated. I don't think it was a bad game, but the way some people gush about it.... meh.

FEAR was great, but needs a beefy PC. HL2 you can get online with Steam. A little bit older, but I'd recommend No One Lives Forever 2 and AVP2 aswell, both great games. Enjoyed Call of Duty 2 (played it on Veteran, not too hard but you won't tear through it in 4 hours like with some games).

Don't get me started on Doom 3 and it's stupid monster-closets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Far cry was great because it was a shooter, no farting around, still nothing to halflife. an oldish one to check is return to castle wolfenstein. It was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

koneko wrote:
    Far Cry was overrated. I don't think it was a bad game, but the way some people gush about it.... meh.
    Was just about to post that, I finished it, and didnt complain, but I wasnt think 'wow this is incredible' at any point, like I was in HL2, and parts of Q4 (I really enjoyed Q4, the game Doom3 should have been).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

an oldish one to check is return to castle wolfenstein. It was a great game.
    That was a brillant game, i loved every single bit of it. The whole game was class from the guns to the traps/riddles and the talk from the guards. The guards would be having little private conversations about how cold a night it was whilst you were busy sneaking around sniping them and shooting them. The german guards were speaking english in german accents, fookin legend of a game. I loved the level where you emerge in the sewer pipe and are looking down at the airfield base, its real sunny and a plane comes in to land, then you start killing. Its class. Might go play it again. Oh, and the 1st level where you can fry the prisoner in the torture chamber yoke, its little touches like that thatmake a game playable.

Then medal of honour came out and everyone was saying its better than Wolfe, but as far as im concerned it was arcadey and **** and nowhere near as good as wolfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Nuttzy wrote:
    That was a brillant game, i loved every single bit of it. The whole game was class from the guns to the traps/riddles and the talk from the guards. The guards would be having little private conversations about how cold a night it was whilst you were busy sneaking around sniping them and shooting them. The german guards were speaking english in german accents, fookin legend of a game. I loved the level where you emerge in the sewer pipe and are looking down at the airfield base, its real sunny and a plane comes in to land, then you start killing. Its class. Might go play it again. Oh, and the 1st level where you can fry the prisoner in the torture chamber yoke, its little touches like that thatmake a game playable.

Then medal of honour came out and everyone was saying its better than Wolfe, but as far as im concerned it was arcadey and **** and nowhere near as good as wolfe.

Medal has no real story\plot to it, so you don't really connect with the game same with Call of duties, the whole wide area's but you can onlt go a certain path annoys the tits off me for COD.

Wolfentein really got into the story, i escpecially loved it when you went into the crypt first and you could hear the germans getting slaughtered in the background, the screams etc, you did'nt know what you were going to face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought RTCW was fantastic for the first half of the game and then they introduced the uber soldiers and the level design went down hill. It just turned into Quake 2 and got a bit ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i always hated the amount of hype medal of honour got when it came to the pc. Sure on the PS1 i could understand its appeal. But on the PC it was such a flat dull repetitive shooter. I swear the game is a straightline from beginning to end.

Call Of duty can end up sort of the same at times but the best thing about that series (more so in the 1st one) there are points where the game drops all linear elements and is like a proper battle, enemies come at you from all directions and your trying to hold the line or assualt an enemy fortification (British bridge battle, early american mission, or the train assault level in stalingrad in Call of Duty 2) thats how a war game should feel like, less of this crappy 1 man walk in a straight line killing nazis.

I always loved in the original half life (not so much in 2 but its still there a bit with the gravity gun and in ravenholme) that levels go in all directions, you ended up climbing, crawling through air ducts, travalling in all manner of elaborate levels while still having kick ass gun play. thats the beauty of PC games they give you to ability to do so many things at once (which console FPS cannot really match with a joypad)

No game has actually matched that yet, i swear level design is overlooked far too often. The closest could be like Retrogamer said with Return the Castle Wolfenstien in the opening half, or some of the quake 3/Unreal Tournament deathmatch maps.

Ughh Far Cry is all right, when it turned into a corrider shooting monsters affair i got bored and never went back. Doom 3 was the same. Never tried Quake 4. Jedi Knight series still holds a small place in my heart (esp 1st one, again amazingly diverse level design, your fighting in a crashing ship how bloody cool is that)

No one Lives forever series is pretty cool as well (again sinking ship).

Also the two AVP games just for playing as an alien (esp the first one.) so much satisfaction.

Advertisement