Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best PC Shooters etc?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The obvious ones are:
    HalfLife 2 (Absolute Classic. Loved every bit of it)
    FarCry (Some great parts, fighting the Human enemies anyway)
    Doom3 (Scary enough, and some fun gameplay)
    F.E.A.R (**** scary, and 2nd best on the list, imo)
    Quake 4 (Havent played it yet, but will soon)
    Prey (Great game, with some cool touches)
    Ghost Recon: Advance Warfare (Much more tactical, but great fun. Also great co-op)

The older, yet still great ones are:
    HalfLife 1 (Probably better then 2, and make sure to try the brilliant Opposing Forces)
    System Shock 2 (First time i stopped playing a game cause i was too freaked out. Personal favourite of mine.)
    Alien vs Predator 1/2 (Great tense gameplay, and fun with the Alien and Pred)
    No One Lives For Ever 2 (Never personally played it, but heard its great fun)
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Great game, until those leg-less electric ****ers come into it)
    Daikatana ( :p )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved Jedi Knight 1 but thought 2 was a bit soulless. I think dark forces is a very underrated game although it's absolutely ancient now.

I thought MOHAA was excellent for it's time. Sure it was awfully linear and outclassed by COD now but it did have some excellent atmospheric moments and the shooting a great feel to it due to the impressive sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont expect much of a fight from me over your opinions, my views on MOHAA has had me shunned for years and i've grown to accept my position as a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

RTCW,Call of Duty 1,and Max Payne 2 are 3 must own games.
    I'd also recommend Bloodrayne which isnt a shooter but is a fine game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

AvP2 is a class game. Never really was fond of the MoHAA.

Far cry was alright up until those monkeys are whatever they are came into the game, switched it off, started it again a year or so later, switched it off again. Wouldn't waste money on it. I never did understand the hyp around it.

Prey got boring about half way through, picks up near the end though.

Half Life 2 was cool, but never grabbed me like it did other people.

CoD2 was alright for an fps, AI got very boring though.

I enjoyed FEAR the whole way through, I couldn't get any speech in the game which really REALLY sucked, but I still enjoyed it.

Jedi Knight is a game worth getting imo.

Quake4 was really boring, played up until the tank part and turned it off, haven't gone back since.

RTCW is an excellent game from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I too would like to recommend FEAR and No One Lives Forever 2. Both rock, NOLF2 is by far my favourite FPS, chances are you won't play many funnier games than this, the level design and settings is really good, the dialog is excellent and there's a female lead who isn't just a piece of meat.

While I don't think Far Cry is even nearly as good as half life 2, the sections where you're outside, and not fighting the stupid monsters are fantastic and make the game more than worthwhile.

I honestly don't think any FPS fan can go without half life 2, which I would definitely recommend playing before Episode 1.

Prey is also very good, but short and a lot of people view it as a waste of money, I loved it though, nice mindless shooting with pretty graphics and some strange geometry puzzles.

For multi player shenanigans, there's really nothing better than RTCW and Enemy Territory, but from what I hear a little game called "Unreal Tournament" or somesuch is quite fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Prey was alright, but it's incredibly easy and pretty short.

There are a few parts I really love about it though, the start when Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper" starts playing. Brilliant song, and worked really well in the game.

The way Tommy goes a bit mad and starts swearing. It's rare people swear like that in games and it made me giggle. Especially at a certain point when he's very angry, he starts swearing at everything "Yeah, take that you fucker! Die die die!"

And
    When you find your girlfriend for the last time, you'd know the bit if you played it, it was a bit disturbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

koneko wrote:
    Prey was alright, but it's incredibly easy and pretty short.

There are a few parts I really love about it though, the start when Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear The Reaper" starts playing. Brilliant song, and worked really well in the game.

The way Tommy goes a bit mad and starts swearing. It's rare people swear like that in games and it made me giggle. Especially at a certain point when he's very angry, he starts swearing at everything "Yeah, take that you fucker! Die die die!"

And
    When you find your girlfriend for the last time, you'd know the bit if you played it, it was a bit disturbing

Ive had that song stuck in my head since i played this game for the first time on saturday hehe..that bit was excellent. I really enjoyed this game, sure its a bit short but i think eurogamers 7/10 was a bit harsh, it deserves an 8 for having BOC in it alone!
    I loved RTCW aswell. Classic game, i didnt even mind the uber-soldats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

get medal of honor on pc, i think theres a 3 game compilation ,called something like the war chest,also cod1 plus the expansion pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you want to go dfown the free route try FEAR (multiplayer) and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. The latter of these games is, imo, easily the equal of many full priced modern fps out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Shame on you all ...you forgot System Shock 2
    it's free to download too and the graphics have been given an update too by the mod community.

RTCW is a fantastic single player game ..
    HL2 is good but nothing special...

Doom 3 and Quake 4 are alright too but a bit brainless.
    (why they don't make an AVP3 with the same engine I'll never know)

AVP 1 is a classic too (and also free to download)

that is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No mention of Deus ex? It's also dated graphically at this stage (a lot more up to date than system shock though) but it's still a great game if you want a bit more depth than an all out mindless shooter. There is a sequel which is more up to date graphically but it's not as good as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

^ Yes, Deus Ex was great.

Chronicles of Riddick was pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I personally found Star Wars: Republic Commando to be my favourite fps, I thought the team control system was very easy to use (unlike GRAW) and the dialogue was excellent (Boba Fetts voice, w00t!). i'd highly recommend it as you won't get bored with it. I'm surprised nobody else has recommended it? Has anybody played it?

FEAR was also good, but got a bit repetitive after the first few levels. If you are going to choose between Quake 4 and Doom 3, i'd go with Quake 4, imo a much better game and story. HL2 is a must have, excellent game, story, graphics, interaction... its got the lot, Sin episodes was alright as well.

As for MoH, I liked AA but not PA, and both of the CoD series where really good.

As for 3rd person, The PoP series is excellent, ditto Splinter Cell and also Psychonauts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Three best FPS games I've ever played:

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (don't buy Rainbow 6: Lockdown, they ruined it)
    Battlefield 2
    SWAT 4

(in that order ;))

Advertisement