Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Childrens Hospital much better than GP

Options
  • 28-08-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have a 7 month old son who now has had to visit this hospital 6 times with two relatively minor complaints and I have found each time that my son was treated (relatively promptly) and very effectively. I found that the doctors/nurses and the surgeon were attentive and very thorough. They explained very well what was going on. It was my experience that they had plenty of time to discuss with me the situation and they ensured that I understood it all, they were very reassuring and told me not to hesitate to come back if we had any more difficulties.

My experience of this hospital is in direct contrast to the relationship I have with my GP who worried me terribly about 1 of the complaints my son had. He fussed so much I almost left in tears.
    I really feel like dropping my GP now and just attending the hospital with any future complaints.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Dont you have a local baby nurse? GPs are more all rounders and usually only refer to the hospital in emergencys.

Is there another Gp in your area?

Now i know you cant be too careful with babies and always go with your intuition no matter what however you will still need a GP for minor things like coughs and colds and the like that definately dont require a trip to the emergency room.

There are so many sick children in hospital and the staff are so good. I brought my son in a couple of times as a baby and they found nothing wrong, i felt guilty for taking up their time and cot space.

ANother time though they found nothing but i wouldnt accept it and i refused to leave the hospital without an xray and they saw nothing but only the next day they called me back and said they found something to bring him straight in, his bowel was inside out.

Anyway point is trust your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GP are there for screeening out the small stuff from the big stuff.
    Shandra wrote:
    He fussed so much I almost left in tears.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shandra

Victor wrote:
    GP are there for screeening out the small stuff from the big stuff.I'm not sure what you mean by this.

My son had a lump under his arm from the BCG, I had been to the hospital the week before and they explained to me that they would admit him in about two weeks and carry out a procedure on him, they told me that I could go ahead and get his next round of vaccines but when I brought him to the doc he kicked up about the hospital not admitting him straight away and told me to give my son an antibiotic (which the hospital had told me there was no need for!), he further told me that he would get on to a consultant in the hospital as he would have to be admitted either later that day or the following day. He had a great sense of urgency about the whole thing. I had been satisfied with what the hospital had told me but this just plummeted me into confusion. He told me to call back later that evening and when I did he told me that the hospital would do it an a week or two. I ended up bringing my son back to the hospital again as I needed to be reassured after the doc's reaction earlier.

I know I can't bring my son to the hospital with a runny nose or a cough, but anything more serious and that is where I'll be heading!

Advertisement