Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death of BF2

Options
  • 28-08-2006 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

All im going to say is HOLY FECKIN **** THE BETTER BE A BAD JOKE! :mad:
    And no I don't mean PoE.

‹2:35pm› <king0rism> EA's agreement with Gamespy ends on October 1, and as EA will use their own EA membership service to log player records for BF2142, the BF2 gamespy service will terminate on this date, meaning all current BF2 ranked players will lose all playing records.
    ‹2:35pm› <king0rism> The final BF2 patch release will be a new 1.4b patch, which will remove the log in screen function but as a small bonus will allow all bf2 players to have all unlock weapons ingame, hardly much reward for the hard work put in by the legions of let down bf2 fans.

This is hot news and hundreds of people in IRC are enraged.
    I will have more news as I get it.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93091

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Variations of this have been posted on all the major BF2 site forums today....and then closed by all the mods .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I doubt it very much. Plus, last time I believed something I heard on IRC, a SWAT team pulled up outside my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Someone posted this a while ago about the patch delay and server contracts, makes perfect sense for EA to do this, tbh its Moddariffic :D

Well done EA should have done it sooner tho.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:

Well done EA should have done it sooner tho.

kdjac

Which part should they have done sooner ?

jonski wrote:
    Which part should they have done sooner ?

Both :confused:

The rankings pretty much end, thus removing ranked servers and orcing people onto unranked which will be populated by mods, one of the main selling points of bf2 to me shame it took nearly a year to actually implement.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:

The rankings pretty much end, thus removing ranked servers and orcing people onto unranked which will be populated by mods, one of the main selling points of bf2 to me shame it took nearly a year to actually implement.

kdjac

This is a pretty common arguement , and in fairness I can see why people think like this . But , ranking is part of BF2 , it was one of it's selling points . I don't think EA dropping support for ranking will force people onto unranked servers and mods , I think it will simply drive people away large scale .

If anything , I think the day of the Mod is comming to a close . It was different a few years back when good mods were better than a lot of the retail games out there . Now there are so many games on the shelf , and people have so much disposable cash that they want the polish that ( supposedly ) comes with big name titles and the mods only seem to flourish within small communities .

jonski wrote:
    This is a pretty common arguement , and in fairness I can see why people think like this . But , ranking is part of BF2 , it was one of it's selling points . I don't think EA dropping support for ranking will force people onto unranked servers and mods , I think it will simply drive people away large scale .

If anything , I think the day of the Mod is comming to a close . It was different a few years back when good mods were better than a lot of the retail games out there . Now there are so many games on the shelf , and people have so much disposable cash that they want the polish that ( supposedly ) comes with big name titles and the mods only seem to flourish within small communities .

So how could any mod team release a decent mod if they dont have the tools they are promised on release day ? How can Mod teams release mods into a system designed to stop being played (all EA had to do was give each mod a CRC number it would work on a ranked server).

Mods will always be around and always improve if not better the original game if it supported by the developer, check out Valve and Crytek on how they support the modders as they prolong the length and brand of a game for free. EA sold mods bad ones at that.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    So how could any mod team release a decent mod if they dont have the tools they are promised on release day ? How can Mod teams release mods into a system designed to stop being played (all EA had to do was give each mod a CRC number it would work on a ranked server).

I am not disputing this , didn't even relise it was part of the conversation tbh , I thought we were talking about the ranking system and the support for BF2
    KdjaCL wrote:
    Mods will always be around and always improve if not better the original game if it supported by the developer, check out Valve and Crytek on how they support the modders as they prolong the length and brand of a game for free. EA sold mods bad ones at that.

kdjac

Yes , yes and yes , but thats not what I was on about , I am saying that mods do not have the support of the gamers like they used to have . I struggle to see another CS or even DC comming about .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Hidden?

only reason there isn't many atm is most of the big mod devloping groups have been bought out by the developers who owned the game, there will be more in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

something is only dead as of when you yourself believe it is dead.
    untill then play on until your the last one playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KdjaCL wrote:
    So how could any mod team release a decent mod if they dont have the tools they are promised on release day ?
    With 3DSMAX, Maya, and a few other tools, or course. When BF2 first came out, there was maps and mods coming out, with everyone using 3DSMAX to build maps, and tutorials every so often. And all this without the tools they were promised. Thats why most mods take an age to come out.

True, the wheel is already there, but they must rebuild the wagon from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Meh. We all the unlocks, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

well if 2142 is to BF2, as BF2 was to BFV, then with 2142's release bf2 will be dead in a month. I looked for euro bfv servers on all seeing eye on sunday, know how many i found? 7. 7 bloody servers in all western europe. its dead as a dodo, and the clock is ticking for bf2 now aswell, the stat whores will leave it in the dust for shiny unlocks and sparkly badges in 2142.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

/me rubs my shiny new guns in POE2.Most peeps won't play BF2 mods as they don't achieve what they are used to with unlocks and shiny ribbons.I have about 10 mods for BF2 though some i didn't give much time to.POE2 has delivered what i expeceted and FH2 might do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

i have to agree with KDjac on this, its just too late, if only this was done months ago and weened everyone off ranked serveres a better community could have been built. What was the point of pushing the stats for over a year only to have them all for nothing, i'll be delighted if this happens.

I'm still undecided on poe 2, need to play a little more, the fallen is a great map but maybe some are too large?? really looking forward to FH2. I hope dice go back to what is best and forget this futuristic nonsense and let the next bf game be a ww2 franchise like it was before(or a nam).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

fallen alone makes POE2 a great mod tbh........

the whole stats/unlocks seems to have done huge damage to any form of BF2 community, so what are they doing to do? but make it worse in bf2142, super !

the whole stats/unlocks seems to have done huge damage to any form of BF2 community, so what are they doing to do? but make it worse in bf2142, super !

It would seem that the EA money men were happy with BF2 and decided to go down the same road with 2142 . While I will concede that the BF2 community might not be that tight , it is bloody massive and there are thousands of people happily playing this game week in week out . Take out the stats/unlocks and I would imagine it would shrink fairly fast .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I looked for euro bfv servers on all seeing eye on sunday, know how many i found? 7. 7 bloody servers in all western europe.
    I bet you'd find more BF42 servers. TBH, I found 4 DC_Final servers last time I looked (last week, sometime. I like DC). THink there were a few BF42 servers as well. I'm talking about populated servers. Sure, there were another 50 or so BF42/DC serversm but they weren't populated.

Without stats, you don't have to play 5 hours every day just so that you can get a decent weapon. BFV, you could play maybe 3 or 4 times a week, and have a ball. With BF2, you'd play each and every day, and get sick of it shortly afterwards. Thus, once the stats go, you won't have to play every day, and as jonski pointed out, the amount playing BF2 will shrink.

Bf2 sold 7 million
    SF 1.1 million
    Exp packs averaged 500 k each

POE2 allegedly at 750k downloads, some stasying away till its patched or tweaked.

Fh2 out soon......

Im actually playing Bf2 every night and its great stats finally mean **** all.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

KdjaCL wrote:
    Im actually playing Bf2 every night and its great stats finally mean **** all.

You would say that, wouldn't you? :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Denouncement: this is utter crap. Yes it was too stupid to be true. The 1.4 build is the same as all of the other builds. Login is still there, you have to rank up to gain unlocks. Gamespy is providing the back end for 2142 as well so I don't see our agreement with them ending any time soon either.

Apologies to anyone that believed this bad joke, as i did :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

R0ot wrote:
    Apologies to anyone that believed this bad joke, as i did :D

And everyone's home in time for tea!

/me does the 'I Told You So' dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Another reason people don't play the mods (even the offical ones) is because of the very poor way they're handled by the game. Having to start up and shut down a game as slow as BF2 is a pain in the ass. If they had manage to implement it seamlessly (like Halflife did) you'd see alot more people playing offical expansions and mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

My 2cents:
    THIS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

All that I can do will be done. To hell with BF2142.

I refuse point blank to touch it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Mantel wrote:
    Another reason people don't play the mods (even the offical ones) is because of the very poor way they're handled by the game. Having to start up and shut down a game as slow as BF2 is a pain in the ass. If they had manage to implement it seamlessly (like Halflife did) you'd see alot more people playing offical expansions and mods.

thats precisely it. Bf1942 & BFV handled mods perfectly, load times were decent, but since EA/DICE started the whole ranking faggatory system and the log in ****e its ruined the whole franchise. They also made it harder to mod bf2 than previous games. All they are interested in is the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Jackabo wrote:
    something is only dead as of when you yourself believe it is dead.
    untill then play on until your the last one playing

smile.gif
    qw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Mantel wrote:
    Having to start up and shut down a game as slow as BF2 is a pain in the ass.

What are you talking about? You just use the shortcut provided by the mod or make your own, click it and your straight into the mod.

I'm loving POE2 atm and I cant wait for the other mods such as DCON (I loved DC)

BTW those ppl talking about the Fallen map. It is very good alright, however have you played OPK? Operation Peace Keeper? Was a mod out before POE2 it was similer, but they leaned a little bit more to the realism side (enemys had no tags you really had to line up a shot to actually hit anyone)

My point is that they had some mind blowing maps. And they had one Forest map that was like fallen, but alot better.

They also had a fantastic urban map, battle of tutin I think.

In the end POE2 is better though, and probably killed OPK. (OPK is was germany versus the serbs, so similer theme)

heh maybe the OPK guys would let the POE2 team use thier maps.....I feckin WISH.

seriously the OPK maps where very very good. But POE2 is the better mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OPK eh?

An homage to OpFlash?

Must try it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

funnily enough they just released an update on total bf2 http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93832

Its worth trying alright just for battle of tutin.

Dunno if theres still servers running it. OPK was by far the best mod for bf2 till poe2 came out.

There just wasnt much Hype around it so it didnt have tons of players. Most full server where in germany which ment (much to my discust) that the teams ended up horribly unbalenced with all the german players wanting to only play on the german team. Teams ended up being as bad as 8 versus 22 at one stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement