Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo

• 28-08-2006 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

Does anyone own/regularly (maybe through work) use a Lenovo laptop?

I'm trying to seriously narrow down my choices for a laptop before i head
    back to college in October - it's been a nightmare so far!

I'm currently using an Inspiron 4100 but it is really on it's last legs and
    needs to be replaced at this stage (i'm suffering badly from the "crazy
    mouse" that plagued a lot of 4100s).

Lenovos seem to be built like brick sh|thouses, well most of them do.

I'm doing an AI related MSc so i'll be using it for a stupid amount of programming and report writing, i don't play a lot of games (i have an
    xbox for that).

I'm sort of after a no-fuss, take a bit of slap and keep going laptop.

I plan to get a 19 - 20" monitor to use when my laptop is parked on
    my desk, but for being on the move i have my sights set on a 15.4"
    widescreen with a matte finish (i hate the glare that comes from the
    glossy finish).

thanks in advance for any tips/adivce/comments!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I have seen a few lenovo/IBM laptops in my time, and having seen the newer models, especially the Tablet PC variety I was very impressed with the build quality, the laptops "feel" like the amount of money they cost, it seems to impower you with a satisfaction that this laptop may actually last me a good 5+ years without a problem...unlike someother brands around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I have a dell for the last few years and was and still am dissapointed with its build quality. They feel cheap, are easy to scratch and can't take much of a beating. Although some models are much better than others.

I have used many laptops... dells, hps, fujitsu siemens, toshiba. For all round and most durable I would go for the IBM/Lenovo even though they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing there not the ugliest either. There quite expensive AFAIK compared to the likes of Dell...You really are paying for the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've used various different IBM Thinkpads for the past seven years and would highly recommend them.

In work, I've travelled quite a bit with them and have gone from dial-up to LAN to wireless without problems. At home, there was never any doubt in my mind when I wanted to buy a laptop for personal use.

I bought the R50 model earlier this year - certainly a bit pricey, but hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. I think you will find a few others around here (Havok - whre are you? :)) would highly recommed IBM/Levenos too. They are well built, solid workhorses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm here, and I get a tear in my eye every time I think of my Trusty IBM thinkpad A21 :D

If you really want a brickhouse, look no further then a Panasonic toughbook. You could take it into a live warzone with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 meaty johnson

Thanks for all your replies!
    If you really want a brickhouse, look no further then a Panasonic toughbook

I think the toughbook might be a bit tougher than i'm after :D

I really want something that won't crap out on me, i've had to replace the
    HDD on my Inspiron 3 times over the years i've had...the last one becoming
    a very swift kick in the stones as i lost all my code from 4th year in college aswell as a great deal of game code too :(

I have a 200gb external for backing things up now but i've been quite impressed with the roll cage system that IBM have - so that's a plus.

I've been saving like a mad yoke for almost 2 years now to pay for this masters and i had to really fight the urge to splash on a top of the line
    laptop - alienware or a macbook pro.

A cool laptop is all well and good but a bare cupboard and fridge during the semester will suck sumo ass!

At the moment i'm thinking maybe a Z61p - if they'll have them for sale in Ireland is another matter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I got a thinkpad t41 off a lad on boards a year or so back, and hell are they impressive. Admittedly they look a bit dud, and the screen isn't spectacular (compared to say a sony vaoi), but the pure stamina of the thing, it's heat management, it's durability - it's remarkable. Strong as an ox, and as stable a machine as I've ever come across!

ps. one complaint with mine would be battery life, but I got it secondhand so obviously the battery is below par

Advertisement