Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing to Diesel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My ould fella bought a new Accord 2.2 i-CTDI executive several months ago too, changed from a 2003 BMW 318i petrol, and he's loving it. Getting 52mpg, mostly open road driving. Its saving him a lot of money as he does crazy miles. It comes with more gadgets than you can shake a stick at - traction control, heated seats, dual zone A/C, electric everything, sunroof, cd changer, blah, blah, blah.

Its quite nippy too, really beats the crap out of my 1.6 petrol, but that's not very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Mc-BigE wrote:
    There are some cracking deals out there, 25k for a 2003 saloon seems steep to me, have a look at BMW dealer 12 month warranty, if you haggle well for a cash deal, it could be a lifesaver if something blows, like a turbo!

Ive just been looking online for now ( www.bmw.ie www.cbg.ie www.carzone.ie ) and most 2003 320Ds have been around the 25000 - 30000 mark. I intend to get out around Limerick dealers soon but where else should I be looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

bucks73 wrote:
    Ive just been looking online for now ( www.bmw.ie www.cbg.ie www.carzone.ie ) and most 2003 320Ds have been around the 25000 - 30000 mark. I intend to get out around Limerick dealers soon but where else should I be looking?

you can get cheaper than 25K, but i suppose you need to take condition/mileage/private or dealer prices into consideration.
    carzone is one of the best places to look:

If your not worried about traveling or trading-in, have a look at importing one from UK, book a weekend in london a go have a look at www.cargiant.co.uk
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=3&xMakeID=3&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=20&xModelID=20&Doors=&BodyID=&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=2002&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=2003&Price_Min=&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=2&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Here are the ones I know of

PSA 1.6 diesel used in:
    Volvo S40, Peugeot 207, 307, 407. Citroen C4, C5. Ford Focus, Volvo S40, mini

Fiat Multijet 1.9 diesel used in:
    Alfa 159, Fiat Croma, Opel Vectra, Astra, Signum, (possibly Vivaro)

Fiat Multijet 1.3 diesel used in
    Fiat Doblo, Punto, Panda, Opel Corsa, Meriva, Astra, Combo, Suzuki Swift.

VW 2.0 TDI used in (apart from VAG)
    Mitsubishi Grandis

Renault dCI used in (apart from Renault)
    Nissan Almera, Note, Primera

Toyota 1.4 D-4D
    mini (not any more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote:

PSA 1.6 diesel used in:

Mitsubishi Grandis

Toyota 1.4 D-4D
    mini (not any more)
    thanks colm...any idea which ones top the charts and which ones don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

colm_mcm wrote:

PSA 1.6 diesel used in:

Mitsubishi Grandis

Toyota 1.4 D-4D
    mini (not any more)

PSA 1.6 also in Mazda 3 saloon

the biggest selling engine would be the PSA 1.6 as it's used in so many different cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

all these diesels mentioned above and I'd still take a 2 year old Auto Diesel(BMW) Rover 75 Connisseur SE with all the trimmings in preference to any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

I've recently moved to diesel and bought a 1.9TDi Seat Leon.
    Its a great car, I'm sure its not everyones cup of tea though.

I'll never drive a petrol car again though, I'm just confused as to what took me so long to drive a diesel in the first place.

Rover 75's are temptingly cheap

• Advertisement

Mailman wrote:
    all these diesels mentioned above and I'd still take a 2 year old Auto Diesel(BMW) Rover 75 Connisseur SE with all the trimmings in preference to any of them.

Yes, it’s another good choice, but you need to buy it extra cheap, because resale on a rover (even the diesel 75) will be very bad.
    I was never a fan of the looks though, especially the back.

colm_mcm wrote:

PSA 1.6 diesel used in:

Mitsubishi Grandis

Toyota 1.4 D-4D
    mini (not any more)
    what about BMW/Honda/Lexus diesels? Are they in their own bracket or under one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The FIAT group Multijet 1.9 diesel is probably the best sub-2 litre diesel engine & it's ideal for Irish tax-breaks etc. Problem is it only comes in the Vectra, Astra or Alfa 159 (I'm ignoring the various sprog wagons).

Lismards in Portlaoise have had this 159 demo online for months & it hasn't sold. If a desirable model like this doesn't walk out of the showroom couldn't see them holding value in the long term.... Then again, this example is probably good VFM for a pretty great car (until the electrics start packing up). I think Alfa shot their bolt here in the late '90s when so many 156s were sold on looks & style & they proved quite troublesome.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=428550

Vectra is a POS, 'nuff said..

An top-end Astra with 150bhp diesel? Perhaps a sporthatch?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395839

Lotta money for an Astra though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

pburns wrote:
    The FIAT group Multijet 1.9 diesel is probably the best sub-2 litre diesel engine & it's ideal for Irish tax-breaks etc. Problem is it only comes in the Vectra, Astra or Alfa 159 (I'm ignoring the various sprog wagons).

The 1.9 comes in two guises, the 120bhp and the 150bhp. Obviously the 150bhp is the one you want.

It is also available in the Alfa GT, the Alfa 147, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, most opels. Generally all GM cars in europe will soon be using this deisel engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

prospect wrote:
    The 1.9 comes in two guises, the 120bhp and the 150bhp. Obviously the 150bhp is the one you want.

It is also available in the Alfa GT, the Alfa 147, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, most opels. Generally all GM cars in europe will soon be using this deisel engine.

Grand Vitara is a renault engine.

pburns wrote:
    Vectra is a POS, 'nuff said..

Just curious to know how many you've owned and what problems you've had to form that opinion

furtzy wrote:

You may be right, but I thought they were switching out the the FIAT one :confused: .

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/New_Suzuki_SX4
    They will be joined later in the year by a 120 PS 1.9 litre DDiS diesel derivative which uses a highly flexible engine supplied by Fiat.

http://www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2004/0519.html
    Suzuki Motor Corporation has entered into a Product License Agreement with FIAT AUTO S.p.A (Italy) and Adam Opel AG (Germany) to obtain Technology for manufacturing 4-cylindar 1.3L diesel engines with Common Rail Injection System at Maruti Udyog Limited from the end of 2006.

prospect wrote:
    http://www.automotoportal.com/article/New_Suzuki_SX4
    They will be joined later in the year by a 120 PS 1.9 litre DDiS diesel derivative which uses a highly flexible engine supplied by Fiat.

Fiat sure are doing well with their diesels. They really should go for the 150 PS version.

Drove the diesel Grand Vitara when it came out first....nice car but needs a little more oomph. Best looking small 4X4 out there though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I have a 320d, its a cracking car, my advice is go for a late 2002 facelift 150bhp model, as the earlier 150bhp models may have problems with turbos blowing.
    BMW fixed this about Sept 2002. (1999 to 2001 320d models are 136bhp should be a lot cheaper)
    There are some cracking deals out there, 25k for a 2003 saloon seems steep to me, have a look at BMW dealer 12 month warranty, if you haggle well for a cash deal, it could be a lifesaver if something blows, like a turbo!

My Car doesn't need oil top up very week! But it will burn small amounts maybe 0.5 litre every 6-12 months, not to be concerned about.

If you use Castrol SLX fully synthetic oil, the car can go about 13k miles between services (the service indicator computer will tell you depending on how hard/easy you drive)

Car does on average 45mpg ,minds a touring so a saloon would do better. about 570miles to 60litre tank.

one other thing to look out for if buying private is if there is noticable trottle delay or "flatspoting" in the accleration of the car in 2nd or 3rd gear, then the Air flow meter needs to be replaced (common problem in the 320d) about 300euro plus labour
    hope that helps.

Great stuff. I'm getting a late 2002 320d - 150bhp in jan (all going well). I drove a golf GTTDI 190bhp before(it had been re-mapped, not my car BTW). I might get the BMW re-mapped.
    Dilbert75 wrote:
    Funnily my 97 never burned a drop but the previous owner bought a 00 when she traded mine in and said it burnt oil alright.

Same as that and it's not an Isuzu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

pburns wrote:
    The FIAT group Multijet 1.9 diesel is probably the best sub-2 litre diesel engine & it's ideal for Irish tax-breaks etc.

While everyone knows this as a 1.9 diesel engine it's actually 1904 or 1905 (can't remember off the top of my head and don't have a VRT receipt on my desk) so for Irish taxation purposes it's classed as a 2 litre. The 30% VRT will by why it's so expensive and the same yearly road tax as a 2 litre diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm driving a rented 1.9 diesel vectra at the moment, my own car, Laguna 1.9 dci is having some crash damage repair being done (I didn't crash it, I inherited the damage) have to say the Laguna is afar nicer drive, is much more comfortable and has a much nicer interior than the vectra. The only thing I like about the vectra is the cruise control, my renault hasn't got it.

Sparks400 wrote:
    Great stuff. I'm getting a late 2002 320d - 150bhp in jan (all going well). I drove a golf GTTDI 190bhp before(it had been re-mapped, not my car BTW). I might get the BMW re-mapped.

Make sure its month of manufacture is around sept and not its registration date, as it could be an earlier manufactured car which was registered in Ireland in Sept 02. Anyway have a look at www.bmwland.co.uk for more details on the exact date.

Regarding re-mapping, I wouldn't recommend it, as 150BHP is a lot out of a 2 litre diesel as it is, you are putting more pressure on the turbo, but it’s up to you in the end. Besides 150BHP is not slow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mc-BigE wrote:
    www.bmwland.co.uk

Regarding re-mapping, I wouldn't recommend it, as 150BHP is a lot out of a 2 litre diesel as it is, you are putting more pressure on the turbo, but it’s up to you in the end. Besides 150BHP is not slow!

Thanks Mc-BigE, decent site. I've had a look at the mod'd section and there's a thread on re-mapping, can't see many disadvantages TBH. I'll think about it over the next few months, weigh up the pro's and con's etc.
    Thanks again.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what about BMW/Honda/Lexus diesels? Are they in their own bracket or under one of these?

The 2.2 diesel in the Lexus IS220D is also used in the Avensis D-4D180, the Corolla Verso 135, the Rav4 135 and 180. (in different states of tune)

The Honda engine isn't shared with anyone AFAIK, and I'm not up enough on Beemers to comment on what engine sharing goes on
    furtzy wrote:

The old Grand Vitaras engine is the PSA 2.0 engine. New one is the Fiat/Alfa/Saab/Opel/Suzuki multijet one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

colm_mcm wrote:

The old Grand Vitaras engine is the PSA 2.0 engine. New one is the Fiat/Alfa/Saab/Opel/Suzuki multijet one

Sorry Colm, but you're wrong this time. Furtzy is right - The diesel engine in the current model is sourced from Renault.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/suzuki-grand-vitara-1.9-ddis-1005001.html

My bad! was thinking of the SX4. The old Vitaras engine was the Peugeot/Citroen one though.

Small thing, but since engine branding began in a big way in the late 90's I got used to fords Zetec engines, Toyota's VVT-i's, Honda's VTEC etc and took it for granted that they were a generation or family of engines. Now every manufacturer is branding their engines including the ones they buy in, the thing that bugs me is that there is little relation between a Saab 2.2 TiD and a 1.9 TiD, a Ford 1.6 TDCI or 2.0 TDCI.
    Are manufacturers trying to convince buyers that their engines are different to the identical engines fitted to the competition. The PSA 1.6 HDI engine is branded as a HDI, TDCI, and TDI, The Fiat Multijet is badged as a Multijet, M-jet, TiD, DDIS, CDTI. Are they ashamed that they are using common engines, or am I just reading into it a bit too much?

for those looking to buy a BMW, go to this site http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?PHPSESSID=1ead2770cc8bad7f131fda77f662bc0c and put in the last 7 digits of the chassis # (2 letters, 5 numbers) and it will give you month/yr of production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

bazz26 wrote:
    Your 97 model probably has the Isuzu diesel engine which was a very good unit, the 00 model had GM's own oil burner.

Nope - mine was one of the first of the 2.0 Di's - the DTL model. Not fast but reliable and economical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 turkey_lurkey

My choice? Driven by the engine I'd have to say. Forget the badge.

The AR/Fiat engine is 1910 cc and classed as a 2L. But this is a highly tunable engine - 150 BHP but for about 400yo you can get it up to about 180 safely with the associated increase with torque.

I've been using this engine for past 12 months, have to say I think its the best ever. Even driven hard I still get at least 45 mpg in 25% rural/75% urban motoring, and lets face it if you are looking at diesel its economy you want. Haven't done many longer trips but trip comp. said 57 mpg. And it has a nice kick in 2nd + 3rd gears, still love it!!

Consider resale value and desirability though. Does the Vectra cut it? I think the Vectra in hatch format, the right colour looks fantastic and would defo be my choice....

Advertisement