Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions because lc

Options
  • 28-08-2006 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey everybody..

I have a few question because the leaving cert...
    I was today the first time at my new college.. currently I am from Germany.. and now I want to make my lc here in Ireland..

But I was today at school, I am 18, and when I was there there was only kids in the age of 15 or so.. my question is in what age they do her leaving cert?

And I need my leaving cert when I want to go to a university? and for the most jobs is it right?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Generally speaking: Yes; you require a Leaving Certificate to get any job, or college place though C.A.O. ( www.cao.ie -> you get points from results from each subject you sit in your Leaving Cert. university/3rd level courses have points requirements. You need to get enough points from your leaving cert. to qualify for a place in the university. It's better explained in detail on cao.ie)
    You could persue alternative routes to education such as FETAC, P.L.C. courses, etc. or wait until you're 23 and _try_ to get a place as a mature student but this may not be desirable.
    What year are you in? 6th? (There should be people around 18 in 6th year) I would have been 16 when I sat my L.C. but I think the typical age was 17-19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you have the Abitur? Perhaps you do not need a Leaving Cert.

The Leaving Cert. for most people is a two year course, begun at about 16 years of age.

Try Pearse College (CDVEC) in Crumlin for adult day classes for the Leaving Cert.

http://www.pearsecollege.cdvec.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

There isn't an age limit, but most people are about 18 when they do it. Are you sure that you didn't go to the Junior Cert class? Most people are around 15 when they do their Junior Cert.

You need the leaving cert to do most degree courses in College. You do a minimun of 6 subjects and you are marked out of 600 points. You can choose to do "Higher" or "Ordinary" in each of your subjects. If you do Higher, you will be marked out of 100 marks for that subject, if you do "Ordinary", you only get marked out of 60 for that subject.
    The more popular (and in some cases, more demanding) the college course is, the higher the points for that course are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fufilie

what it mean with the 6th year?
    I do the first year from a 2 year leaving cert?! you know what i mean ? ;) thank you for the answer by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fufilie

No, I hope that I do my leaving cert ;) no in Germany I dont do my Abitur because that, I thougt that i need the lc...

But I dont see my class today.. I hope there are some good people in and not so little kids ;) you know I am scared about it.. new school, new language, school uniform :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

fufilie wrote:
    I do the first year from a 2 year leaving cert?!
    I guess that means you're in 5th year. People in your class should be around 16/17 though. If you're worried about anything you should really ask your teachers or principal; they can help you much better as they know the full extent of your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

fufilie wrote:
    Hey everybody..
    and now I want to make my lc here in Ireland..
    Ah from this post I can clearly see the mistakes that are very common when Germans speak English. In German the verb "machen" means to "do" or "make". You used when when you should have said do.If you are doing the Leaving Cert you are going to have to stay here two years or well one if you a really motivated to do it all at once. YOu should be careful as to what subjects you pick though. You need to do the Leaving Cert to apply to all IT's, Universities and Colleges here in Ireland.

Advertisement