Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackberry vs XDA

• 28-08-2006 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Quick question. . .want to be able to surf the net and access email on the move (for personal use) but don't know whether to get either a Blackberry or an XDA ??? which do you think is better ?

I take it Blackberrys (and the XDA) can view websites properly (showing all the graphics/colours etc)

Looked at 02.ie . . .I see theres a lot of 'unlocked 02 branded' Blackberrys on ebay. . .a lot cheaper then buying here but dunno how youd get on if something went wrong . . has anyone bought one of ebay ???

Any tips - greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Quick question. . .want to be able to surf the net and access email on the move (for personal use) but don't know whether to get either a Blackberry or an XDA ??? which do you think is better ?

I take it Blackberrys (and the XDA) can view websites properly (showing all the graphics/colours etc)

Looked at 02.ie . . .I see theres a lot of 'unlocked 02 branded' Blackberrys on ebay. . .a lot cheaper then buying here but dunno how youd get on if something went wrong . . has anyone bought one of ebay ???

Any tips - greatly appreciated.

Cheers

XDAs/Pocket PCs/Smartphones will give you a better web viewing experience and most allow use of Blackberry Connect software. If you have Exchange then you can have Push Email to Exchange without Blackberry.

Check out adverts.ie for my SP5, unlocked Smartphone, supports Exchange push and has WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The XDA's render web pages almost exactly the same as a PC web browser, the only noticable omission being Javascript (e.g. the menu along the top of Boards.ie). In practice,I haven't found this to be a big hinderance.

I believe, though have no direct experience of, WM5 devices can also take Microsoft 'push' e-mail in the same way Blackberrys can.

So go buy an XDA/PDA/Smartphone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Areallycoolname

I just got one of the new BlackBerry 7130vs, and I think that is brilliant. The email is perfect, and the browser is more than up for the task. Got it from Vodafone as 02 don't have it.

Mates of mine had the xdas and didn't like it at all. Far too big and awkward to use etc.

I just got one of the new BlackBerry 7130vs, and I think that is brilliant. The email is perfect, and the browser is more than up for the task. Got it from Vodafone as 02 don't have it.

Mates of mine had the xdas and didn't like it at all. Far too big and awkward to use etc.

Well a Smartphone such as iMate SP5 is small plus has WiFi and a camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

skearon wrote:
    Well a Smartphone such as iMate SP5 is small plus has WiFi and a camera!
    I agree, have one those, screen is great, same size as normal phone also. i think blackberries are too big(width and thickness) for what they do.To be honest unless you dont have microsoft exchange blackberries are not worth it. Windows mobile does everything a bb does+ watch videos,savage games, play music, stream radio,stream tv, you can customise a windows mobile to suite your needs. really depends what you want in a phone!

damo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Take a look at the Nokia E61 - supports about 5 types of push email (including bb), great browser, wifi (for free surfing) and one of the best screens on any phone in the market.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

damo86 wrote:
    I agree, have one those, screen is great, same size as normal phone also. i think blackberries are too big(width and thickness) for what they do.To be honest unless you dont have microsoft exchange blackberries are not worth it. Windows mobile does everything a bb does+ watch videos,savage games, play music, stream radio,stream tv, you can customise a windows mobile to suite your needs. really depends what you want in a phone!

damo

Blackberry has the advantage taht you only need to charge it every 4-5 days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

parsi wrote:
    Blackberry has the advantage taht you only need to charge it every 4-5 days..
    well, there's always a compromise, i have a xda mini s and a v1240(i-mate sp5), with the xda, i have to charge it everyday, thats with constant browsing,wifi, games, sat nav, bluetooth headset whilst driving and gprs always connected.on the v1240 battery last for 3 days(just use for when going out on the tear etc..the xda is a wee bit impractical!), with a little browsing etc. To be honest i dont mind charging everynite plus you can use a mini usb cable for charging of your computer.

damo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Have to second the Nokia E61. Far slimmer than a bulkberry, best screen on the market, wifi, access point groups, 5 push services, Symbian interface, great browser. RSS reader etc. I also have a jasjar (WM5) and find that I use the E61 far more frequently now due to its relability, stability, size, pocketability... and now that I've gotten used to the qwerty keypad, its faster than letter recogniser..not as much software currently available for OS9.1 Symbian as there is for WM5 but its growing and bottom line...basic syncability is usability for me.
    Hope this helps..

quintron wrote:
    Have to second the Nokia E61. Far slimmer than a bulkberry, best screen on the market, wifi, access point groups, 5 push services, Symbian interface, great browser. RSS reader etc. I also have a jasjar (WM5) and find that I use the E61 far more frequently now due to its relability, stability, size, pocketability... and now that I've gotten used to the qwerty keypad, its faster than letter recogniser..not as much software currently available for OS9.1 Symbian as there is for WM5 but its growing and bottom line...basic syncability is usability for me.
    Hope this helps..

Ditto have E61 and a Jasjar as well. I keep Jasjar in car and use it for either GPS or remote access into clients' systems. Both Remote Desktop and LogMeIn work very well on it, particuarly if you use the SIM from your Vodafone Connect card with the €40 unlimited tarrif per month. It even steams TV from my Slingbox :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement