Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of cycle mirrors

Options
  • 28-08-2006 10:17pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been thinking about this the last few days while going in and out of town and to work, why aren't mirrors on bikes more popular?

I have to say I don't have one but surely they'd make life easier for everyone envolved as its certainly safer to glance at a mirror then look behind you when cycling at any decent speed while in traffic

There cheap though too http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/11510/Zefal-Cyclops-Bar-Mirror-Blk/

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I've seen a few people with mirrors attached to their helmets which I'm not keen on for some reason. I'll definitely be looking into these soon though, they should make cycling in Dublin a helluva lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've gone through three of those Zefal Cyclops bar end mirrors. They're useful but they don't survive any kind of a knock at all. The other disadvantage is that each time you flip the mirror out for use, you have to readjust it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've gone through three of those Zefal Cyclops bar end mirrors. They're useful but they don't survive any kind of a knock at all. The other disadvantage is that each time you flip the mirror out for use, you have to readjust it.

Seems abit crap considering their advertised as folding on inpact :confused:
    So you'd think they'd survive a knock

They do fold in towards you but if that's a means of preventing impact, it can only be in relation to objects you pass. (How often do you hit objects while passing them on your bike...?) On the other hand, objects passing you (e.g. cars) will knock the mirror the opposite way. In my experience, this causes it to snap more or less instantly.
    Cabaal wrote:
    Seems abit crap considering their advertised as folding on inpact :confused:
    So you'd think they'd survive a knock

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They do fold in towards you but if that's a means of preventing impact, it can only be in relation to objects you pass. (How often do you hit objects while passing them on your bike...?) On the other hand, objects passing you (e.g. cars) will knock the mirror the opposite way. In my experience, this causes it to snap more or less instantly.

Have to say I haven't had cars pass me that close....perhaps its a Dublin thing?

• Advertisement

Possibly. The point is that if the mirror had a universal joint and therefore flipped in both directions, you could reasonably say it "folded on impact". Actually, it folds in one direction and breaks in the other. (Even when folding, the glass is likely to shatter.)
    Cabaal wrote:
    Have to say I haven't had cars pass me that close....perhaps its a Dublin thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Zefal Cyclops mirror on the end of the drop handlebar of my road bike. I have the Zefal Dooback (bought in CycleWays) on my mtn commute bike.
    Once or twice I've passed to close to a car stopped in traffic on the mtn bike but no damage to the mirror. Nothing has ever hit me. It is my 2nd Dooback - the first one lasted almost 10 years.

I would be lost without them - a very quick glance keeps me informed about what is behind me, and then by eyes are looking forward again.

How do they actually look on a bike, any photos?

I just can't the image of "nerd" out of my head when I hear mirrors on bikes, the strange thing is I know their a good idea and would make things alot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cabaal wrote:
    How do they actually look on a bike, any photos?
    Photos attached, Zefal Dooback (on mtn bike, rectangle mirror) and Zefal Cyclops (on road bike, oval mirror).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - I have one on the right hand side of my handlebars that folds in if you like - came built into the bike. Very useful indeed - I only have to twist my head when I'm leaving a roundabout!

• Advertisement

I bought one of these last night in Cycleways and tried it out this morning. Very handy but I suspect it'll take a bit more practice before I'm fully used to it. It also restricts my grip a little but I'd put up with that for a little more confidence on the road :-)

I'll be cycling into the city centre at rush hour this evening so I'll know then how useful it is.

markpb wrote:
    I bought one of these last night in Cycleways and tried it out this morning.....

It looks massive, let us know how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Mirrors can be useful on a bike but they're no substitute for looking over your sholder. They give a very restricted view of what's going on and it can be difficult to judge distance in them. Also, taking a glance behind alerts drivers and other cyclists that you may be making a manoeuvre. It's known to motorcyclists as a "lifesaver".

I totally agree but, like driving, it helps that I know roughly what's going on behind me, I know cars are coming towards me in the bus lane and not the vehicle lane.

I guess the one place I'm really hoping it'll help is the dreaded 'overtake and cut left in front of me' manouver - at least with the mirror I'll have a chance of seeing their indicators (if they're using them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I have rear view sunglasses which are great. I do still look behind if doing something major. These are handy if you are about do avoid a grate or puddle and want to check if a car is coming, or on cyclelane checking if people are about to overtake you.

You get them on online spy stores

I've been using the mirror for a few days and I've reasonably pleased with it. I still check over my shoulder when I'm changing lanes or overtaking but for general situational awareness, it's very handy.

If a car is waiting at a junction and there's space for me to let him out, I'll usually do it. By the time I've checked over my shoulder and signalled to the car, it's usually too late. With the mirror, a quick check and I can decide whether its safe or not. Another upside is that they don't have time to pull out suddenly while I'm looking behind ;)

Advertisement