Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Thursday 31st August

Options
  • 28-08-2006 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

7pm Pheno will be heading to a pitch with goals, so everyone meet at monument and move from there.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

i'm only flying back that night so i cant make it :(

OT but when the league starts, would it be worth maybe training two nights a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Q_Ball wrote:

OT but when the league starts, would it be worth maybe training two nights a week?

Ask des/seansouth next week.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

to get some people up in the fitness stakes theres unfortunetly gonna have to be some running of laps involved i think

should maybe do 2-3 laps before we kick off on thursday (cant do any harm) and can build up more of a conditioning routine from there

the problem with kickabouts is that if your knackered you just stop running so you wont imcrease your fitness as fast as you would if your pushed into doing a set amount...if you see where im going from and going to on this one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Gileadi I agree fitness is very important and a couple of laps won't do any harm, we just want to be careful not to scare people off. Also laps is the worst way of trying to get fit for soccer, quick short sprints with quick turns is what you need.

I should be able to make it unless work runs late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

If we meet at the monument, its a good fifteen minute to twenty minute walk to the pitches which are in the 15 acres, the opposite side of the Magazine Fort.

Realistically, I dont think we need to be getting in big goals just yet, shots arent what any team needs this early in their development, its really about getting to know names and knocking the ball around. Thats just my opinion though.

Either way, see you at the monument at 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Realistically, I dont think we need to be getting in big goals just yet, shots arent what any team needs this early in their development, its really about getting to know names and knocking the ball around. Thats just my opinion though.

If we got a few drills going, sorted out the positions, did a bit of work on our area's - defence, attack, goalkeepers, and then maybe a game at the end.

I should be able to have two more with me this week, both v.good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ill be there this week for 7, but once again ill have to leave at 8.30ish

I think we should let the gaffer sort out the laps and what not. I don't think he
    will be here this week?, so lets just get a kick about going and get to know one
    and other. A lot of players haven't played for a while so just a little kick about
    goes a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I dont think we should be rushing this fitness thing to be honest....for starters a lot of people who are doing this is for fun and that can easily fizzle out if your trying to get serious too quickly.

Hell, even the game last Thursday was enough of a workout for me, i certainly felt sore for a few days afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The main problem is that people have varying levels of fitness. If we're going to playing hour long matches it's important that people aren't dying after the first 5, rolling subs or not.

It would be very beneficial to do some fitness work at the beginning of each session. At least people will get an idea of where thet're at in comparison to eveyone else. If it's gonna be taken seriously players need a certain level of fitness, and that could mean doing some running etc in your own time.

Ok, we have to bear a few things in mind here:

1. We only started 2 weeks ago and the league starts in 3/4 weeks, we need to spend some playing time together to get used to playing together and to try and make a team out of a bunch of players.

2. The evenings are getting short, darkness is falling earlier each day. If we do an hour of fitness work before a game of ball, we might get 10 minutes ball time in before its too dark. Then how does anyone get to know what to expect from players in competitive games?

3. Fitness work is not something we need to do as a team, anyone who feels like a heart attack is impending can always get out and do some work on their own, its not that hard.

4. If we are doing fitness work, laps are NOT the way to go, this isnt a cross country team and laps will be minimally beneficial to any football player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

This is all starting to sound a bit serious, not the fun kick-about with the lads I was expecting.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Draupnir wrote:
    3. Fitness work is not something we need to do as a team, anyone who feels like a heart attack is impending can always get out and do some work on their own, its not that hard.

Exactly, a jog or cycle on your own a few nights a week is every bit as beneficial as a few fitness excersizes in a group. Anything to improve your stamina is beneficial.

ansan wrote:
    This is all starting to sound a bit serious, not the fun kick-about with the lads I was expecting.

Heat... kitchen... etc?

ansan wrote:

Dont worry, its not turning into Man United or anything, a kick about again on Thursday night in the park sounds perfect.

See you all there at 7 then?

ansan wrote:

Of course everyone wants it to be fun but how would you feel about gettin hammered 9 or 10 nil every game because players are dead on their feet? The fun element will only get you so far. There's no team at any standard that wants to get beaten every week and we're no different. I'm not talkin boot camp here but a bit of a jog or cycle isn't going to kill anybody.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Of course everyone wants it to be fun but how would you feel about gettin hammered 9 or 10 nil every game because players are dead on their feet? The fun element will only get you so far. There's no team at any standard that wants to get beaten every week and we're no different. I'm not talkin boot camp here but a bit of a jog or cycle isn't going to kill anybody.

Exactly, especially if we're chipping in a fair few quid, its not a lot to ask people to try some light fitness excersizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I'll be along this week, finally.

Fitness, skills, kick around - all sound good :)

Lifting pints is mildly strenous and counts as exercise right?

Lighten up everyone, lets all head up to the Park for 7 on Thursday and worst comes to the worst, BlackWizard can hammer us all in the face with the ball like he did to Alan last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Put me down for some of that.

Would astro runners be any good on the grass? I don't have a pair of boots and don't really want to fork out for something I might use once or twice.
    Might have another person interested in playing too if that's alright.
    Has the league been paid for yet or whats the what's happening with that?

Hey that wasn't funny, well ok for everyone else it was :D

Fitness can be achieved quite easily with a bit of effort, class on the other hand is a lot harder to develop.

• Advertisement

Spaco wrote:

Nothing paid yet. Bring a mate sure, nicer to have a larger pool of players.

Spaco wrote:
    Would astro runners be any good on the grass? I don't have a pair of boots and don't really want to fork out for something I might use once or twice.

Astro runners will only carry you so far on grass, i.e. if it's any way wet you're screwed because they don't offer anywhere near the grip that studs do. You'll slip all over the place.

Spaco wrote:
    Put me down for some of that.

Might have another person interested in playing too if that's alright.

I actually wore astro runners last week even though I had two pairs of Predator's in my bag, the ground was extremely hard so any boots with long studs or blades will give you sore feet, Astro runners are great of course as long as its dry.

Cheers Xavi. Thought they'd be a bit rubbish if the grass was wet or long. Only other thing I have is a pair of runners so they might have to do for now....

Spaco wrote:
    Cheers Xavi. Thought they'd be a bit rubbish if the grass was wet or long. Only other thing I have is a pair of runners so they might have to do for now....

sure just hammer a few nails out the bottom of them and you'll be grand :D

Astro runners might work better than runners. Some grip is better than none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Spaco wrote:

You might have missed the point there slightly :p Runners won't be any better, you'll need studs to give you grip on the wet grass. It's very likely the grass will be wet also. I'd say the Astro runners would be better as they at least have some form of stud on them.

Anyway, I'll be there.

Yeah, that didn't come out as it was meant to. Meant that the astro's would have to do as the runners wouldn't be much better.....
    Anyway, me and my astro runners will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah I think that's what funked my feet up the other day, the ground wasn't soft and I was playing in new boots with 6 studs. Would mouldies have been better? I forgot to get the mouldie changing kit the other day off you Xavi :(

It's been raining quite heavily the last few days so studs may be in order from now on?

• Advertisement

Ground is still very hard and will be for another 3-5 weeks, obviously if your playing while its raining or just after its rained you'll be needing studs or blades, small moulded studs are probably best option at the moment. Or do what I did last week bring boots and astro runners and depending on conditions pick which ones to wear.

Advertisement