Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Thursday 31st August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

What's the harm in putting in a few minutes work before a training game? I'm talking a bit of stretching and a few laps of jogging mixed with sprints, continually changing pace, which is ideal for football training. In fairness, if that sounds like too much work then what use are you gonna be in an actual game cos it's a fraction of the work needed in a game? I'd be interested to see where everyone stands on it, cos if the majority want to do a bit of work we should do it, if the majority are against it fair enough, but I'd like to know before I part with a hundred notes.

The team seems like a friendly bunch of lads and that's not gonna change just cos we get a bit organised, if anything getting fitter and organised will make it a better atmosphere and we'll all enjoy it more. Trust me, a bit of increased fitness will make us all better players and when you're covering ground without thinking about it it becomes less of a struggle and you can just get on with enjoying the game.

One other thing - I agree with the point that it's not about scoring goals at this stage, it's about getting familiar with the team, but we should try avoid jumpers for full goals if possible. By all means play a tight game with 3 foot goals and no keepers, and maybe 2 touch to focus on passing, but if we're playing a full game we should try use goalposts so strikers have a proper goal to aim at and keepers have a full one to defend, cos it's bad habits otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

There's no disadvantage to getting fitter. I think the question is, is it better for the team to spend the little time we do have each week, 2 hours basically, doing what we could do on our own in our own time, or getting to know our styles of play by having games in that time. A game will incorporate both of these aspects and could be the best option for the time being? I don't know what stretches I should be doing so what about stretching when we get there, maybe do a 5 min warm up, a jog and a few sprints and then play a game, then have a warm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Could always do laps of the monument, the sides are short enough that you could do sprint on 1 side and jog the next. Good for the explosive runs needed for a match.
    Saying this now, I'm more used to 5 a side than 11 a side so might take a few sessions to get up to speed on those extended runs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

What's the harm in putting in a few minutes work before a training game? I'm talking a bit of stretching and a few laps of jogging mixed with sprints, continually changing pace, which is ideal for football training. In fairness, if that sounds like too much work then what use are you gonna be in an actual game cos it's a fraction of the work needed in a game? I'd be interested to see where everyone stands on it, cos if the majority want to do a bit of work we should do it, if the majority are against it fair enough, but I'd like to know before I part with a hundred notes.

The team seems like a friendly bunch of lads and that's not gonna change just cos we get a bit organised, if anything getting fitter and organised will make it a better atmosphere and we'll all enjoy it more. Trust me, a bit of increased fitness will make us all better players and when you're covering ground without thinking about it it becomes less of a struggle and you can just get on with enjoying the game.

One other thing - I agree with the point that it's not about scoring goals at this stage, it's about getting familiar with the team, but we should try avoid jumpers for full goals if possible. By all means play a tight game with 3 foot goals and no keepers, and maybe 2 touch to focus on passing, but if we're playing a full game we should try use goalposts so strikers have a proper goal to aim at and keepers have a full one to defend, cos it's bad habits otherwise.

I think the biggest problem with going with full goals is that they tend to come with full size pitches. Unless we have 22, then playing on an eleven a side pitch will be a bad thing. Jumpers for goalposts, I agree, is a bad idea but in 2/3 weeks time, we are going to have to start block booking an astro pitch somewhere for training because the light wont be there at all apart from weekends.

Youre dead right Jules, a few minutes jogging and sprinting wont hurt, we can combine it with a few ball drills which can be used to get everyone used to each others names if we do it cleverly. Doesnt sound bad to me.

I think the most important thing we need is for everyone to get down as early as possible, try to get there by 7 if you can guys, light is going to be short. It was very dull last night by 8:45 and people tend to get hurt playing in bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ansan

There's no disadvantage to getting fitter. I think the question is, is it better for the team to spend the little time we do have each week, 2 hours basically, doing what we could do on our own in our own time, or getting to know our styles of play by having games in that time. A game will incorporate both of these aspects and could be the best option for the time being? I don't know what stretches I should be doing so what about stretching when we get there, maybe do a 5 min warm up, a jog and a few sprints and then play a game, then have a warm down.

I agree, i usually try to get some exercise in my own time, but we've got 2 hours a week to play soccer together and i'd like to spend as much of that time as possible playing. a warm up and a warm down make sense. i don't mind doing more, perhaps if we start meeting up twice a week we can get into the whole fitness regime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well, I was thinking that once we start playing midweek, we'll be training at the weekend, possibly Saturday or Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We will be playing 11 a side ptiches so 7 or 8 a side is no use to use only to build fitness. If you want to run i would say the best time is your own time, our training is the only time we see each other so have to make the best use of it.

Des has a provincial 11 i suggest we use that on a 11 a side pitch with the GK back 4 and the DMF playing vs the stikers wingers and AMF, Des adds an chops and changes as he sees fit, working on corners and frees to ensure the back 4 know each other and the system he chooses gets worked on. That would take 40 minutes, the extra players literally work on the other keeper :D

The most important part of our team right now is goalkeeper and back four getting used to each other the rest can be added to and gelled over time after all we are all right footed centre forwards :D

Its is fun but playing 11 a side means organisation , its no fun getting beat cos your all over the place.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:
    Des has a provincial 11
    Yeah, those players from the country I've been lookng at training, much better than the usual rabble that turns up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I bet they're polish.. :D

I heard on the internet that its gonna be wet or raining on Thursday. Most likely
    both. But its REALLY nice out at the moment so Im doubting the internet's
    credibility and gonna wear shades and a Hawaiian shirt with high heels to training.
    Or maybe ill bring my mouldys. They can hit the ball well as Alan experienced
    first hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

whats the story with the goalkeeper situation anyway, who will i be competeing with? roddy and the guy in the hat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Hi guys,

Pm'd "the Gaffer" last week cause I couldn't go but will be there this week. I am left footed and usually play left full back or on the wing. I'll more than likely be wear a french jersey. See ya there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

likewise, I missed last week (sorry - late coming back from Villa Park, all hail King Martin)

hope to see yiz thurs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Ah feck it, why not eh? I'll be the Peter Crouch lookalike...

How many lads have turned up so far?

More importantly, whats the standard been like - been a few years since I've played!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hoodle wrote:
    Ah feck it, why not eh? I'll be the Peter Crouch lookalike...

How many lads have turned up so far?

More importantly, whats the standard been like - been a few years since I've played!

13 the first night and 15 or so the second. About 10 have been there both times. Looks like it's going to be very well organised once the commitment level is there.

The standard isn't extremely high but there are some very good players. I think that everyone that comes down will fit in no hassle. Plus it's been a good laugh so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

This is getting ridiculous for me!! Im working until 10 on thursday. I really wanna play :( Have to tr swap my shift away tomorrow (my only day off!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This is getting ridiculous for me!! Im working until 10 on thursday. I really wanna play :( Have to tr swap my shift away tomorrow (my only day off!!!)

Thats the kind of commitment we're lookin for son!!

Unfortunately the league games are gonna be on Thursday so be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Xavi6 wrote:
    Thats the kind of commitment we're lookin for son!!

Unfortunately the league games are gonna be on Thursday so be prepared!

YES!! Be prepared to quit your job son. ;)

Come down and see what ya think of it Hoodle. We dont make anyone sign
    contracts there and then. Some say Crouchy built the giants causeway. :)
    So he's not so bad of a asset for any team.

OT now..

He is 6'6 and 12 stone.

I'm 6'3 and 14 stone. (Normally 13.5 but I ate a pie. . or 12 this week.)

I know a lot of ya never seen me before but Im quite slim. So can that 12stone
    mark for Crouchy be right? Seems kinda...anorexic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So are we meeting at the monument then heading to a pitch or whats the story???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

irish1 wrote:
    So are we meeting at the monument then heading to a pitch or whats the story???

yeah sounds good. that "pitch" we played on last week was terrible, hard as a rock! Head for somewhere with a full sized goals id say, can play 11v11 if we've the numbers, or defense v attack otherwise

We might be time restricted but its worth a shot, the pitches are quite far from the monument.

Either way, see you guys at 7, it should be softer than last week after the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

theres a gaa pitch not too far up we could use, goal posts are goal posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I have to withdraw from thurs training due to ankle injury sustained tonight :mad::mad::mad::mad:

bah

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    theres a gaa pitch not too far up we could use, goal posts are goal posts

Boo hiss, bloody heathen , we'll not set foot on a GAA track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Sorry lads wont be able to make it tonight....Got a family family dinner i havnt been able to wriggle out of, should be a wild night:rolleyes:

No worries Eoin, catch you next week yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Draupnir wrote:
    No worries Eoin, catch you next week yeah

Well hopefully i might be able to get in for the Ireland match this Saturday....Anyone know where McDowells is though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

alright lads - won't be there tonight. Played a very competitive 90 minutes on the left wing for work the other day and then golf the next day and the back is in a jock. Will be at Electric Picnic this weekend so see yous next week hopefully for our first friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

I assume we still have numbers for tonight? I'll be there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've to work til 11 so unfortunately can't make it. Will definitely be there next week though, provided its Thursday again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Spalk0 wrote:
    Well hopefully i might be able to get in for the Ireland match this Saturday....Anyone know where McDowells is though?

Right in front of Richmond Park (where St. Pats play) on Emmet Road in Inchicore.

Advertisement