Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair Play To 'Boro - Downing Transfer Saga

• 28-08-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/5289698.stm

Middlesbrough have reacted angrily to Tottenham's latest attempts to sign Stewart Downing and have hit back by expressing an interest in Aaron Lennon.

Nice to see a club refusing to take an offer for one of their best assets, despite a larger club doing their best to unsettle him.

I especially like the part where they turned the entire bid on its head by expressing an interest in Aaron Lennon!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs eh? Where are they getting the money? Harry Kewell might be for sale....in January! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've said my piece on the comments from Jol in the Spurs rumours thread, but...
    Lemlin wrote:

I especially like the part where they turned the entire bid on its head by expressing an interest in Aaron Lennon!

Don't blow it up out of proportion, Spurs are hardly in disarray because of a throwaway comment by Boro's CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wasn't blowing anything out of proportion. Perhaps I used the wrong wording but I find it funny that 'Boro turned basically mocked Spurs and their bid by expressing an interest in Aaron Lennon.

The comment by Keith Lamb is not serious in any way but it was a nice way for 'Boro to hit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Don't blow it up out of proportion, Spurs are hardly in disarray because of a throwaway comment by Boro's CEO.

no, their in disarray because they threw any ambition they had out the window and sold their best player to one of the rivals their trying to dissplace, and with the movements (or lack of) united were making during the summer, spurs were in a positon to starve united of the exact kind of player they needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

also fair pla7y to boro... 4-0 to portsmouth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

el rabitos wrote:
    no, their in disarray because they threw any ambition they had out the window and sold their best player to one of the rivals their trying to dissplace, and with the movements (or lack of) united were making during the summer, spurs were in a positon to starve united of the exact kind of player they needed.

So you would would have kept a player who didnt want to stay and whose value would have dropped considerably the following year because he was in the final year of his contract? We got 18.6 million for Carrick ... more than enough money to strenghten the side considerably to make up for his absence. The problem is we havent spent the money yet. Just hope we can pull some quality signings off in the next couple of days.

Playboy wrote:
    So you would would have kept a player who didnt want to stay and whose value would have dropped considerably the following year because he was in the final year of his contract? We got 18.6 million for Carrick ... more than enough money to strenghten the side considerably to make up for his absence. The problem is we havent spent the money yet. Just hope we can pull some quality signings off in the next couple of days.

Picking on smaller clubs and trying to unsettle players isn't the way to do it though.

Playboy wrote:

yes, they should have kept their best player for the last year of his contract. why do u think united payed 18.6million. they were DESPERATE, spurs were poised to take a top 4 spot, and in all likelyhood it would have been at the expence of arsenal or man u, more than likely man u.

the money united forked out would have been replaced by 12 million or so worth of champions league money, at least then spurs would have a champions league spot to attract players with

Lemlin wrote:
    Picking on smaller clubs and trying to unsettle players isn't the way to do it though.

Would you care if it was anyone but Spurs? :rolleyes:

Agree with Playboy, but then I've said it before. Great business selling a player who clearly wanted out, would Carrick have played anywhere near his best if he'd been forced to stay at Spurs this season?

In addition, Carrick would have made f*ck all difference in the two defeats to Bolton and Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

yes, they should have kept their best player for the last year of his contract. why do u think united payed 18.6million. they were DESPERATE, spurs were poised to take a top 4 spot, and in all likelyhood it would have been at the expence of arsenal or man u, more than likely man u.

the money united forked out would have been replaced by 12 million or so worth of champions league money, at least then spurs would have a champions league spot to attract players with

so spurs losing carrick is the only reason they might not finish in the champs league places.

Mestic Meg! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

so spurs losing carrick is the only reason they might not finish in the champs league places.

:D

el rabitos is the most optimistic Spurs fan I know! Should join us at boardsspurs...

hey look, what team is on top of the table and who just got thrashed by everton.

if i'm a spurs player and a big club that were looking vulnerable and who we were looking to knock off came in for our best player and we just sold him off and helped them, then i'd be completely disheartened and would totally question where the club is going.

you can say oh we got 18 million yadda yadda thinking spurs got the better of man u, but in reality man u must be laughing their asses off becuase they knew they were screwed if they didnt get a top midfielder in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

"I won't even be responding to the bid because they knew in advance that it would be unacceptable."

No wonder Boro have overspent on so many duds down through the years. They clearly dont grasp the concept of negotiation:D

Seriously I cant believe people are saying fair play to boro. If it was spurs intention to rattle them theyve clearly succeeded, evidenced by the chairmans childish comments. Jol simply said we made a 10 mil bid for him. Boro said we didnt. They have as much incentive to lie in this situation as spurs do.

Would you care if it was anyone but Spurs? :rolleyes:

Agree with Playboy, but then I've said it before. Great business selling a player who clearly wanted out, would Carrick have played anywhere near his best if he'd been forced to stay at Spurs this season?

In addition, Carrick would have made f*ck all difference in the two defeats to Bolton and Everton.

Nice rolleyes but I would actually. I suppose you're going to accuse me of hating Spurs as well as Liverpool now? If that's the best you can do to criticise the point then go ahead.

It has to be admitted that Spurs are finally showing their true colours through. They have denied unsettling players in the past but now its clear as day for all to see in this case.

You yourself even commented on the Spurs thread that the behaviour of Jol was poor in this situation.
    if i'm a spurs player and a big club that were looking vulnerable and who we were looking to knock off came in for our best player and we just sold him off and helped them, then i'd be completely disheartened and would totally question where the club is going.

There was a report on BBC teletext at the weekend saying that Paul Robinson had said just that.
    "I won't even be responding to the bid because they knew in advance that it would be unacceptable."

No wonder Boro have overspent on so many duds down through the years. They clearly dont grasp the concept of negotiation

Seriously I cant believe people are saying fair play to boro. If it was spurs intention to rattle them theyve clearly succeeded, evidenced by the chairmans childish comments. Jol simply said we made a 10 mil bid for him. Boro said we didnt. They have as much incentive to lie in this situation as spurs do.

I don't think they have suceeded at all. Downing doesn't seem interested in a move to Spurs in the slightest and their poor start to the season will reinforce that. He'll also take a good long look at midfielders like Danny Murphy, Andy Reid and Wayne Routedgle (spelling wrong I know) who were coveted by Spurs and moved there only to be left warming the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I have to laugh at all this about fair play to plucky boro fending off unsporting conduct of a bigger club. They are both small clubs!

Lemlin wrote:
    Nice rolleyes but I would actually. I suppose you're going to accuse me of hating Spurs as well as Liverpool now? If that's the best you can do to criticise the point then go ahead.

Its not the best I can do, but its the best I'll waste on you. Every chance you get to rag on Spurs you pop up, haven't seen much of you on the forum in a while until you started this thread. Why aren't you discussing your team being bottom of the table, I'd be more concerned if I were you.
    Lemlin wrote:
    You yourself even commented on the Spurs thread that the behaviour of Jol was poor in this situation.

Yes I did, and I mentioned it on here for everyone to check if they wanted. You don't need to repeat my own points to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

el rabitos wrote:
    they were DESPERATE, spurs were poised to take a top 4 spot, and in all likelyhood it would have been at the expence of arsenal or man u, more than likely man u.

Hah, not a chance... I know its early in the season but i love the way everyone has written off Utd from the start. Team is alot more focused now and the pressure seems to be off. To make it even better the "new" big boys have all droped points to weak teams. Something Utd did last season and the way Spurs are playing at the moment we should beat them at home, although this international break might sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

THE ACTUAL FEE FOR CARRICK IS 14M - If it turns out to be 18.6M Utd have won the CL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5233892.stm
    Gill revealed that the basic fee for the 25-year-old midfielder was £14m, rising to £18.6m depending on the success of the club and the player.

"The figure is £14m and that is appropriate," Gill said on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

el rabitos wrote:
    hey look, what team is on top of the table and who just got thrashed by everton.

you can say oh we got 18 million yadda yadda thinking spurs got the better of man u, but in reality man u must be laughing their asses off becuase they knew they were screwed if they didnt get a top midfielder in.

Look United are at top of the table without Carrick in the side as he has been injured for the first 3 games. It is highly doubtful that we would have been competing with Man Utd for a CL spot. Arsenal are the weaker team atm and it is they who we were competing with last year and more than likely who we will be competing with again this year. Losing Carrick is only one part of a number of problems with the spurs side. We have problem creating chances in the final third, We have no width down our left hand side and we have players that need time to settle in the premiership. We have bought a replacement for Carrick in Zokora .. we just have to w8 and see if he is a good enough replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

el rabitos wrote:

'pool were in the exact same situation with Stevie G last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think i will leave it all to the end of the season.

38 games will tell who finishes where, not 3.

man, are all blackburn fans this bitter? like south africans, i dont think ive ever met one i liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

el rabitos wrote:

thats a very big gamble to make, presuming you'll get the 12 million for the chamions league

and you think spurs would have got top 4?

event wrote:
    thats a very big gamble to make, presuming you'll get the 12 million for the chamions league

and you think spurs would have got top 4?

considering the midfield united had before carrick, yes and considering the possibility that henry might break down with injury from carrying arsenal on his back, yes, i do think they could have got top 4

all they needed was a left winger and a striker or 2 to build onto their squad. maybe if they showed some ambition they would have turned duff's head

newcastle might be a club going nowhere, but at least they think their going somewhere and showing some ambition to be at the top is better than bending over and taking one from the big boys

el rabitos wrote:

newcastle might be a club going nowhere, but at least they think their going somewhere and showing some ambition to be at the top is better than bending over and taking one from the big boys

Yet again you miss the point. Something tells me its the prospect of Utd finishing ahead of Liverpool that upsets you more...

Spurs have a wage structure to maintain. Breaking the bank to get Duff in means more than paying him top $. It means paying him, and King, and Keane, and Robbo, and a host of others top $. I'd rather we kept our finances in order than we mortgaged our future in the way Newcastle are doing. I don't want us to be the next Leeds.

Of course, if Duff is to be believed then he'd never have gone to Spurs anyway, regardless of what we offered...

Yet again you miss the point. Something tells me its the prospect of Utd finishing ahead of Liverpool that upsets you more...

Spurs have a wage structure to maintain. Breaking the bank to get Duff in means more than paying him top $. It means paying him, and King, and Keane, and Robbo, and a host of others top $. I'd rather we kept our finances in order than we mortgaged our future in the way Newcastle are doing. I don't want us to be the next Leeds.

Of course, if Duff is to be believed then he'd never have gone to Spurs anyway, regardless of what we offered...

of course the prospect of united finishing ahead of liverpool upsets me, wouldnt be much of a fan otherwise would i?

the strongest club of the past 15 years are in a position where their best players are old, their young players are sub par and the players they bought are generally cr.ap...they're in desperate need of new top english talent and spurs lend them the helping hand they need...thats just how i see the situation

paul robinson would seem to agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just as a footnote (dont want to open a big argument) but I think Carrick was way over priced and overrated. Im gutted that Man Utd didnt get Owne Hargreaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Or Senna

Its not the best I can do, but its the best I'll waste on you. Every chance you get to rag on Spurs you pop up, haven't seen much of you on the forum in a while until you started this thread. Why aren't you discussing your team being bottom of the table, I'd be more concerned if I were you.

Yes I did, and I mentioned it on here for everyone to check if they wanted. You don't need to repeat my own points to me.

And people say the same of me when it comes to 'Pool. Maybe I just like to "rag" on every team. If you notice, I regularly contribute to the Blackburn thread and another few. I didn't come here purposely to start the thread by any means. I also give Spurs compliments but you're happy to ignore those. Had it ever occured to you that I was just giving my opinion? If you stopped and thought, it's one you've actually agreed with.

Blackburn being bottom of the table doesn't concern me at all. There's alot of new players and the team are still gelling. The strikeforce are getting plenty of chances and will finish them once they get into their stride. The one acqusition who you questioned, Benni McCarthy, actually looks like a great buy so far.

Anyway, I wouldn't call Pompey away, Everton and then Chelsea the easiest start to the season, would you? Even Mourinho commented on Sunday that teams are going to have it very hard again at Ewood this season because Blackburn keep teams under pressure for 90 minutes.

By the way, this thread is about Spurs, 'Boro and Downing. Not Blackburn's performance in the league. There's a Blackburn thread if you'd like to comment on that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Lemlin wrote:
    There's a Blackburn thread if you'd like to comment on that :)

seems like a waste of time to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Holy christ, you people get very defensive very quickly.

I thought it was quite a well executed rebuttle from Boro. So I'm with Lemlin on that one. Although I must say, you can hardly accuse them of picking on a smaller club. I don't know in whose fantasy you'd call Boro smaller than Spurs (not substantially anyway).

el rabitos wrote:
    considering the midfield united had before carrick, yes and considering the possibility that henry might break down with injury from carrying arsenal on his back, yes, i do think they could have got top 4

what?

LOL

if if if.....

im sure man united would have signed someone else if they hadnt got carrick, perhaps someone better. So they may have been even stronger if they hadnt got him

its still a big gamble to make
    el rabitos wrote:
    all they needed was a left winger and a striker or 2 to build onto their squad.

how would they have afforded these three quality players?

event wrote:
    what?

LOL

if if if.....

im sure man united would have signed someone else if they hadnt got carrick, perhaps someone better. So they may have been even stronger if they hadnt got him

its still a big gamble to make

riiiiight....who were united going to sign? not one of the "big" players they were linked with or bid for wanted to join them and the only one that did, the 17 million rated utility man, owen hargraves was told he wasnt going anywhere, hey look spurs, players dont control clubs, contracts seem to mean something in germany.

theres a reason united are throwing huge money at pretty average players, desperation.

the time for replacing giggs and scholes and keane was 3 years ago, and the players brought in didnt cut it, now desperation has set in and united are throwing money at it
    event wrote:
    how would they have afforded these three quality players?

well considering so far they've signed berbatov and mido they seem to be doing fine as far as affording the players

el rabitos wrote:
    riiiiight....who were united going to sign? not one of the "big" players they were linked with or bid for wanted to join them and the only one that did, the 17 million rated utility man, owen hargraves was told he wasnt going anywhere, hey look spurs, players dont control clubs, contracts seem to mean something in germany.

you dont know this, are just presuming
    perhaps they would have got mascherano, perhaps offered more for hargreaves,

we dont know
    el rabitos wrote:
    well considering so far they've signed berbatov and mido they seem to be doing fine as far as affording the players

:rolleyes:

which was financed by the carrick deal

if they hadnt made this 18 million, how would they have bought them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

To be fair, Berbatov was bought well before Carrick was sold.

SofaKing wrote:
    To be fair, Berbatov was bought well before Carrick was sold.

thats true

but i wasnt talking about him, i was talking about the left winger and two strikers el rabitos said they should sign, he mentioned berbatov

• Advertisement

seems like a waste of time to me.

And we all love to pay so much attention to your opinions. Haven't you some hockey to be playing. Have you even managed to watch any Spurs games of late?

In case you hadn't noticed, Danny Murphy still has those splinters in his arse, I'm sure he'll prove to us all why Jol signed him soon :D

Advertisement