Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpack recommendations

Options
  • 28-08-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a backpack for commuting? I only need a smallish backpack for work trousers, shirt and spare tube etc. My main requirements are comfort as the nike one i'm currently using cuts the blood supply to my arms giving me pins and needles !! Also, just as important is where to buy one cheaply; preferably on the internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If you can get in to Dublin city centre, there are a couple of camping shops on Liffey Street that have some pretty good backpacks. I bought one there about 6 months ago which has nice wide, padded shoulder straps. It also has a contraption for holding a helmet, which works very well. (It's basically a flap of fabric at the front of the bag, under which you insert the helmet. The top of the flap is then clipped to the main body of the bag, securing the helmet in place.) It has one fairly roomy inside pocket and a slightly smaller one (which I use for tools and a pump), both separated by zips. There are also two smaller external "netted" pockets - handy for lights, keys etc.

The model is called a Higlander Activebiker. I think it cost around 20 brick.
    bibibobo wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a backpack for commuting? I only need a smallish backpack for work trousers, shirt and spare tube etc. My main requirements are comfort as the nike one i'm currently using cuts the blood supply to my arms giving me pins and needles !! Also, just as important is where to buy one cheaply; preferably on the internet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was looking at backpacks yesterday and it appears this bag is very similar to what Ghost Rider is on about http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/24781/Deuter-Cross-Bike-Pack/

Was thinking of getting this one myself,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Yep, that's quite similar. There might be a good reason why it's a lot more expensive but it's hard to tell by looking at it.

One disadvantage of the one I got is that the insides don't have a waterproof lining. I haven't found that to be a problem but if I wanted to carry, say, a laptop, I'd probably put it in a plastic bag first. Some bags do have that and it's nice not to have to worry about water damage, especially in this rubbishy climate.
    Cabaal wrote:
    Was looking at backpacks yesterday and it appears this bag is very similar to what Ghost Rider is on about http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/24781/Deuter-Cross-Bike-Pack/

Was thinking of getting this one myself,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Although I cant recommend any, Chain Reactions have their sale on (ends in 3 days apparantly) and they might have something useful:
    www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Berghaus Freeflow 20(litre). Not the biggest pack but the major feature of this is the arched back which keeps the pack off your back, thus reducing sweating. It works well. Comfortable straps and an attached waterproof cover. I use it when running too, with the chest and waist strap keeping it secure so it doesn't move all over the place.
    I got it for e60 in Millets in Blanchardstown Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

daymobrew wrote:
    I have the Berghaus Freeflow 20(litre). Not the biggest pack but the major feature of this is the arched back which keeps the pack off your back, thus reducing sweating. It works well. Comfortable straps and an attached waterproof cover. I use it when running too, with the chest and waist strap keeping it secure so it doesn't move all over the place.
    I got it for e60 in Millets in Blanchardstown Centre.

Had a look at these in the outdoor adventure shop on liffey st. - €70

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

daymobrew: you say that arched bit actually works. Is it worth the cost of one of those? Any other comments on the backpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Trojan wrote:
    daymobrew: you say that arched bit actually works. Is it worth the cost of one of those? Any other comments on the backpack?
    IMO it is worth the cost. If you want more cargo space there are larger Freeflow packs.
    My previous backpack rested against my back. It would be soaking wet with sweat at the end of each journey.
    I can't think of any more comments in addition to my original ones in post #6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have an arched Deuter backpack. I think the arch works quite well, so I'll second daymobrew's recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thanks guys - I've considered them in the past, but always been a bit sceptical of their effectiveness. Next time I think I'll spend the extra cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have you considered a rack? Much more comfortable; I carry only my (lightweight) laptop in a small backpack.

Advertisement